Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended dog food-RCvs Eukanuba

• 18-04-2013 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34

In the area where I live there are 2 brands I know may be suitable for my Labrador, Royal Canine and Eukanuba. Which would you advice , folks?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Def Eukanuba. Much better quality than Royal Canin and they are both roughly the same price anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Neither. I would check online for better foods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Not RC. I've heard of too many dogs (including my own) it doesn't agree with. No opinion on Eukanuba as I've never tried it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Six of one and half a dozen of another here - it all depends on your own dog and how they agree with the food. To be honest, my opinion on the two foods is that both are quite overpriced and you could get a better quality food for the price you pay for either.

Some other good foods that are in the price range, and lower (but just as good quality), include James Wellbeloved, Burns, Real Nature, Pro Pac, Select Gold, Arden Grange... there are lots out there! Because you have a big dog, it would be cheaper for you to buy in bulk and, often, prices are cheaper online too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Rommie wrote: »
    Neither. I would check online for better foods

+1 much better out there

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

any opinions on Red Mills from fellow dog owners?? different price range to RC/Eukanuba i know, just wondering is it any good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

Red Mills leader isn't bad. If it's not the leader range though, then it's not great quality

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

An alternative to Red Mills Leader and just as good is the Gain Elite range. (Irish company and readily available - agristores, etc.)

They do one for Big Dogs:-

www.gainfeeds.com/pet/BigDogs_Adult

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭stoeger2000

yeah, i saw that gain stuff in my local co-op. hadn't heard anything about it, so didn't buy it.
    a mate of mine feeds his dogs red mills star, swears by it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

RC has an incredible marketing machine that's pushing very average overpriced food. As was said, there is much better out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34 smetol

Thanks. So what would you recommend apart of the above 2 brands.Hills?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

smetol wrote: »
    Thanks. So what would you recommend apart of the above 2 brands.Hills?

Far too lazy this morning so copying from an old thread;

Some of the best brands of dry food IMO opinion are Barking Heads and Taste of the Wild. Other good ones are Burns, Arden Grange, James Wellbeloved. Skinners is meant to be a good alternative to Burns and only around £25. You can buy it on Amazon I think. They seem more expensive but you feed a lot less than the supermarket brands so can actually work out around the same price or cheaper.

There is also the raw diet if you would consider it. It can be very beneficial for dogs with allergies/intolerances. My dog cant tolerate processed chicken but with fresh/raw there are no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I would also be a fan of barking heads, I feed the bad hair day one, its lamb and rice, and get it delivered by amazon. Use the subscribe and save option to save money.
    They also sell skinners and ingredients look great in that, it's cheap too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

GRAW is the best, dry food is not what they are designed to eat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

I feed a bit of raw, but mainly feed Eden. It works out at €60 for a 15kg bag. Not cheap, but it's high in protein and doesn't contain grains. I used Orijen previously, but works out at around €80 for 13kg from Zooplus.

www.ireland.edenpetfoods.com.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The best thing to do it to try the foods, OP.

One of mine did very well on Eukanuba, but the other became very constipated.

Advertisement