Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi, 4wd and NCT testing.

Options
  • 18-04-2013 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭

I recall there being a thread on this some time ago but it's not showing with any of the search terms I can think of.

I have a lend of an Audi A8 3.7 quattro while my car is getting a bit of work done. The Audi is booked in for an NCT, which I will bring it for, tomorrow morning. Is it true that the brake testing rollers in the NCT can damage the Haldex unit Audi use, or was that just a myth?

Do I need to make it clear to the tester that it is 4wd and shouldn't be tested on the rollers or should his system flag any special considerations for him?

TIA.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

That's the one alright. Thanks.
    It goes way off topic about half way through though so I'm still no wiser :(
    What's the current thinking? I guess it's no harm to mention it at the desk anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Leave a post-it inside the windscreen "this is a 4wd!", just in case?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭walus

I'm not sure how the quatro works but I own a Subaru and anytime I go for NCT always leave a note stuck to a stearing wheel that says:
    PERMANENT ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE.

AVOID BRAKE TESTING THIS CAR ON ROLLERS.

AS PER HANDBOOK ROTATING FRONT OR REAR WHEELS ONLY MAY/WILL DAMAGE THE VISCOUS COUPLING.

PLEASE USE DECELEROMETRE ONLY (Tapley etc.)

MANY THANKS.

Always works.

”Where’s the revolution? Come on, people you’re letting me down!”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

milltown wrote: »
    That's the one alright. Thanks.
    It goes way off topic about half way through though so I'm still no wiser :(
    What's the current thinking? I guess it's no harm to mention it at the desk anyway?

Ya I'd say if you're not sure, be very sure to mention it at the desk and as the lads have said leave a note on the steering wheel. Better that it's not risked, it'd be an expensive and unnecessary repair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I've NCT'd 2 4WD cars both were haldex as opposed to the torsen system on the Audi A8,on both occasions i just said it to them when i gave them my keys and said it again after i gave them my keys :D the most recent time your man didn't believe me and went to his 'computer' thankfully (for him) the computer said yes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Mat the trasher

What happens if they do damage a car, who is liable for repairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

walus wrote: »
    I'm not sure how the quatro works but I own a Subaru and anytime I go for NCT always leave a note stuck to a stearing wheel that says:
    PERMANENT ALL-WHEEL-DRIVE.

AVOID BRAKE TESTING THIS CAR ON ROLLERS.

AS PER HANDBOOK ROTATING FRONT OR REAR WHEELS ONLY MAY/WILL DAMAGE THE VISCOUS COUPLING.

PLEASE USE DECELEROMETRE ONLY (Tapley etc.)

MANY THANKS.

Always works.
    I leave a note too, usually "Car has LSD - cannot be brake roller tested" (or AWD as appropriate).

As Tossy says the A8 is Torsen not Haldex, Torsens work via a gear to wormdrive mesh and are crazy strong but still shouldnt be tested on the rollers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Matt Simis wrote: »
    I leave a note too, usually "Car has LSD - cannot be brake roller tested" (or AWD as appropriate).

As Tossy says the A8 is Torsen not Haldex, Torsens work via a gear to wormdrive mesh and are crazy strong but still shouldnt be tested on the rollers.

I tried that too with a lsd equipped car and their heads exploded :eek:
    The refused to test it outside and refused to test it on the rollers even though the NCT manual says don't test lsd equipped cars on the brake test rollers.
    I tried showing the nct goons the manual but they wouldn't look :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement