Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

day trip usa

Options
  • 18-04-2013 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭

hi, we are travelling to toronto for a week and wished to go to niagra falls for one of the days, can i buy a travel pass on line for entry to the usa,or will i have to buy it at a border crossing(and q up), or should i shell out and do a esta on line?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

If you are crossing a land border from Canada to the US by rail, road or foot you do not need to do an ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭horse7

Is any document required?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

Bring your passport.

If you're in a rental car, make sure you have the rental agreement ready (and check beforehand with your rental company that you can cross the border)

Once again, if you're driving across the border, have passports for everyone in the car ready, and roll down all windows. Also make sure there isn't anything unnecessary in the trunk.

I've heard the canadian side are particular about children travelling and preventing kidnappings......you are asked if you have children that aren't yours with you, that you have a note written by the parents stating that you have permission to bring them across the border, including a contact number for the parents.

The same actually applies if even if they are your children and the other parent is not with you.

So good advise, and no fees or documentation other than passports and car rental paperwork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

horse7 wrote: »
    So good advise, and no fees or documentation other than passports and car rental paperwork?

Honestly.....I can't advise you on whether or not an ESTA or other travel visa is required....I have my Green Card so I haven't needed to ask for the couple of times I've crossed the border.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Rascasse

Unless something has changed you will need to pay $6 per person and fill out the green I-94W form. Process at the border is this;

1. At the border the officer will direct you to drive over to secondary processing building.
    2. In secondary you will have to fill out the I-94W form for each person and pay $6 for each.
    3. Within a few minutes (assuming its not busy) they'll fingerprint you, stamp passports and send your on your way.

Thanks for the update,much appreciated.

Advertisement