Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Satallite Broadband

Options
  • 18-04-2013 5:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I have a house in the wilds of Mayo. More than 10km from the nearest telephone exchange. I am trying to get decent broadband. I have used Vodafone and O2 dongles in the past with very poor results. Does any one have experience of true Satallite Broadband - the type Niall Quinn is selling? I know if is more expensive than fixed line broadband but how does it compare in general use? I would appreciate anyone else's experiences and advice. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Loads of threads about it in the Midband forum. It's not broadband, it should be your last gasp option after all other avenues have been explored. Make sure you read up on the small print and know the ins and outs, take note of the pitiful download limits and 24 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 philbk

Thanks for the advice. I have seen lots of threads about satellite broadband but most were years old. I haven't met or spoken to anyone who has it. I was hoping new technology had made the service better and cheaper. I would still love to her from anyone currently using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

philbk wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice. I have seen lots of threads about satellite broadband but most were years old. I haven't met or spoken to anyone who has it. I was hoping new technology had made the service better and cheaper. I would still love to her from anyone currently using it.

You need to change the search from best match to newest, it's a weekly question
    http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?forum=1147&subforums=1&sort=newest&date_to=&date_from=&query=satellite

There is no new technology, there are smoke and mirror tricks to make browsing transmit at it's max possible speed but there are many things satellite is not suitable for, anything in realtime, gaming, Voip, Vpn. The distance to the satellite is the killer, you cannot send a radio wave faster than it already goes. It's nearly a second to the satellite and back, this is ages in broadband terms. Also, a satellite has as much backhaul as an exchange in a small village, and this is shared with the whole of Europe, therefore the pitiful limits and enforced restrictions during peak hours.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

See if any of these are in you're area.

http://www.westnet.ie/

Can you get any of the mobile phone networks broadband ( or so called broadband ) ?

They are upgrading to 4g and would be many, many times faster and cheaper than satellite broadband.

Even the standard HSDPA or HSDPA+ mobile broadband would probably be better than satellite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 philbk

Thanks for all your advice guys. I have decided not to go with satellite broadband afterall because of all the problems, expense and no guarantee of a decent service as posted. I am going to look further into the mobile broadband suppliers. 3 broadband claims to have good coverage in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭eirator

philbk wrote: »
    Thanks for all your advice guys. I have decided not to go with satellite broadband afterall because of all the problems, expense and no guarantee of a decent service as posted. I am going to look further into the mobile broadband suppliers. 3 broadband claims to have good coverage in the area.

ROFL 3 Broadband claims to have good coverage everywhere the words "good coverage" are on the script they use but mean very little, you can have good coverage 5 bars signal strength and a 0.05mbps connection, coverage just means you can get a 3 signal how fast a connection you can get is completely different. You honestly can't believe a word anyone from 3 tells you and if you hear it from a 3 sales guy or a guy on the phone with an Indian accent then it is a lie as they just don't know. I have NO coverage yet I could call 3 now and I'll guarantee they'll tell me I have good coverage in my area.

Try in on 3Pay (prepay) and grand if it works for you your in business but its a very poor service in many areas that can be good off peak but next to useless at peak times in the evening.

eirator wrote: »
    its a very poor service in many areas that can be good off peak but next to useless at peak times in the evening.

So it's no different to any. Other mobile broadband then.

But I agree about checking it out first, get someone with a 3 phone that can do hsdpa + as it makes a difference.

You would want to check any provider out first.

So it's no different to any. Other mobile broadband then.

But I agree about checking it out first, get someone with a 3 phone that can do hsdpa + as it makes a difference.

You would want to check any provider out first.

No quite different, my comments were just about 3 and if you haven't used them then you don't really know what your talking about.

As I said if they work fine but if you have problems your screwed, they'll even promise a 14 Day Money Back Guarantee to get you into a contract but forget to tell you that you that its subject to their support people in Mumbai confirming that you can't get a connection and 0.05Mbps would be a service as far as they are concerned.

No quite different, my comments were just about 3 and if you haven't used them then you don't really know what your talking about.

As I said if they work fine but if you have problems your screwed, they'll even promise a 14 Day Money Back Guarantee to get you into a contract but forget to tell you that you that its subject to their support people in Mumbai confirming that you can't get a connection and 0.05Mbps would be a service as far as they are concerned.

I'm with 3 for the mobile and this is what I get now off the mobile connected to the laptop wireless.

2658759955.png

Not bad for the weekend. I can get 12 mb off peak. That's just a little faster than my crap Eircom DSL and multiple times faster upload which is 300 kbps or 0.3 mbs

But I'll agree their customer service is crap. But better than it was.

• Advertisement

I'm with 3 for the mobile and this is what I get now off the mobile connected to the laptop wireless.

2658759955.png

Not bad for the weekend. I can get 12 mb off peak. That's just a little faster than my crap Eircom DSL and multiple times faster upload which is 300 kbps or 0.3 mbs

But I'll agree their customer service is crap. But better than it was.

Well there's the problem, people see a few examples of good speeds like yours and expect the same when the reality is often very different.

Well there's the problem, people see a few examples of good speeds like yours and expect the same when the reality is often very different.

I don't get that speed all the time of course, but it rarely drops below 3mb these days.

It will be interesting to see if 4G really is as good as they say !

• Site Banned Posts: 256 ✭✭Dr Silly Bollox MD

2656141794.png

0.000000000001Mb/s and they're happy as the service is "up".

2656141794.png

0.000000000001Mb/s and they're happy as the service is "up".

Holy crap. That's brutal. Where are you ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭galait

Holy crap. That's brutal. Where are you ?

I'm on 3 PAYG and speed is Brutal , .01Mb Download , Other Half is on 3 Pay Monthly and gets .5mb (Doing same test 2 mins apart), We are on the edge of their service , It looks to me that they cripple the broadband for PAYG customers

galait wrote: »
    I'm on 3 PAYG and speed is Brutal , .01Mb Download , Other Half is on 3 Pay Monthly and gets .5mb (Doing same test 2 mins apart), We are on the edge of their service , It looks to me that they cripple the broadband for PAYG customers

That's bad, but have you tried it with their hsdpa + devices ? maybe wouldn't matter but worth a shot ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Have a look into the national broadband scheme. If the mobile network doesn't work out they will install satallite for you. Comreg gave the contract to 3. Satallite is QSat. You need to be in an NBS area though.

Advertisement