Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Boiler sizing and Controls

• 18-04-2013 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

All hope you can help me with these two questions

1, Can a digital underfloor thermostat be used as part of the control of a conventional radiator heating system? Reason I ask is the variety, cost and availability of underfloor thermostats is far better than those conventional ones.

2, Should a boiler (gas condensing) sizing take into consideration the thermal efficiency and performance of the house? The plumbers I have spoken to seem to only consider the volume of the house and how many rads are being heated. My concern is not so much the cost of the boiler but rather the short cycle time and light burn "Load" the boiler will have, or at least that I expect it will have!

Thanks in advance
    Jay

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

1, Can a digital underfloor thermostat be used as part of the control of a conventional radiator heating system?
    Yes

2, Should a boiler (gas condensing) sizing take into consideration the thermal efficiency and performance of the house?
    Maximum efficiency for a given boiler is achieved when it is sized to match its load. If the thermal effiency of a load is improved, in effect the load is reduced.

So in my opinion it would be best to take thermal efficiency of a load into account when sizing a boiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glengormanjay

Thanks 2011

But what do you do with the underfloor sensor? Simply remove it or encase it?

Also relevant to boiler sizing you are say what I suspect, that the boiler needs to work hard for a reasonable part of its operating cycle but it also needs to be capable of delivering the heat input required within a reasonable time frame; 15 - 30 minutes?

Cheers
    Jay

Advertisement