Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody with a gun is a criminal.....apparently.

Options
  • 18-04-2013 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭

George hook doesn't know anybody with a gun because he doesn't associate with criminals.

Nearly puked when I heard him say this on the radio.

Holy God. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

George hook should know George Hook has a gun..

... shop

http://www.hookngun.com/

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

the man is a mouth piece, between him and joe duffy they would make ya puke

• Registered Users Posts: 2,703 ✭✭✭deerhunter1

BattleCorp wrote: »
    George hook doesn't know anybody with a gun because he doesn't associate with criminals.

Nearly puked when I heard him say this on the radio.

Holy God. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

He is always known for putting his foot in it, that is why he is an ass w***e

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I wouldn't get too airated about him , he deliberately causes controversy to keep his name in the headlines, and thats what he has done here, don't feed the troll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

i dont know anyone who likes george hook,cause george hook is an ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

By the sound of it he knows just as much about the sport of Shooting as he does Rugby, George Hook is the second worst rugby commentator in Ireland after Hugh Farrelly, that's some effort George keep up the good work and RTE will reward you with more money for being crap at your job if you knock Hugh off the top of the SH!T heap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

Its hardly that offensive to you, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,979 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

FiachDubh wrote: »

Are you a firearm owner?

If you're not then you won't understand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dan Wesson

I heard most of the interview.
    I'm dissapointed with hook but not a bit surprised, He is on record before saying he hates guns.
    Nothing is going to change his mind or his attitude.

• Advertisement

Blay wrote: »
    Are you a firearm owner?

No, a 17 year old from Cork with more on his plate than non-main stream sports.

Any who, back to George, a Cork man who manages to hate Munster.
    A complex oxymoron of a man.

Blay wrote: »
    Are you a firearm owner?

No I am not, but that's beside the point.
    People are always going to have conflicting views about things, some of which may be very personal to you. But if you're going to let a stupid off hand remark get under your skin like that you'd want to develop a thicker skin because people sh*t out both ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

It would be different if it were a thing he was not in the position he is in but he is a radio presenter and will have to a certain extent an effect on public opinion. If it were a thing he was to say every priest is a paedophile what do you think would happen that would be a throw away comment but there would be public out cry. If you understood the hoops we have to jump trough and the time and effort we put into our hobby you would have a different opinion. To be a firearms owner you have to have a squeaky clean record and give up some of your civil liberties to a certain extent as the gardai can enter your home whenever they like to check your security and your firearms etc.. I am not a criminal and i don't like being labelled as one. Most people are very ignorant when it comes to firearms as it is and i get enough flack as it is we don't need people like him making stupid comments like that. Anyway a letter to the broadcasting authority should sort it out and have him publicly apologise for his ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

People are always going to have conflicting views about things, some of which may be very personal to you. But if you're going to let a stupid off hand remark get under your skin like that you'd want to develop a thicker skin because people sh*t out both ends.

the problem is hes a national broadcaster and like it or not his opinions carry weight with some people
    as a non firearm owner you dont realise the difficulty we face in getting our firearms for or sport and the pressure from the anti firearm crowd to ban them
    comments like this stick in impartial peoples minds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭misses with rifles

got there before me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Far from it. It is exactly the point. How would you feel if people labelled you with a vicious, insulting, and derogatory name simply because of your lifestyle choices.

I am not a criminal, never been arrested, never been charged/convictied, not even a parking ticket. But because i'm a firearm owner i am now suddenly all of these things.

He is a sensationalist praying on people's fear and misunderstandings about firearms.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    How would you feel if people labelled you with a vicious, insulting, and derogatory name simply because of your lifestyle choices.

Scoures FiachDubh's post history...........

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

The Aussie wrote: »
    Scoures FiachDubh's post history...........
    Erm ..............
    The Aussie wrote: »
    No, a 17 year old from Cork with more on his plate than non-main stream sports..
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Its a well tried pattern of journalistic behaviour, its like jeremy clarkson in the uk , come out with some idiotic insulting untrue statement and cause endless debates and mayhem for a few days in the media, all to get the spotlight on yourself. As for oxymoron :rolleyes:, what about being a tory from cark, he was probabily just grumpy that maggie died.

I wonder will any of the shooting sports bodies complain to newstalk ? A presenter shouldn't be allowed spout absolute rubbish against a large group of people simply because he personally doesn't like a certain sport.

Cass wrote: »
    Erm ..............

To use a quote.
    If you're going to let a stupid off hand remark get under your skin like that you'd want to develop a thicker skin because people sh*t out both ends.

I know, my bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Is it offensive for George Hook to say on the national airwaves that anyone who owns a firearm is a criminal?

Well, I suppose he could have called us thick lying paddies as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

Except its not a valid viewpoint by any stretch of the imagination, it is a complete falsehood to label firearms owners as criminals. It is irresponsible lazy typecasting, that should never be allowed pass unchallenged. Its factually incorrect, so is not open to opinion or viewpoint, and its damn near libelous if it was directed at any individual, just because it is directed at a group of people does not make it any less acceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

As a law abiding shooter, I get very frustrated being lumped in with all the criminals just because I enjoy target shooting.

The media look down upon me because I own a gun. My gun is used for my hobby, the same as someone else uses their golf clubs for their hobby.

I get offended because people with an incorrect perception of my sport sometimes put out very bad information into the public domain and this can cause us law abiding citizens in the shooting community much trouble.

I can't shoot centrefire pistols because a law was passed because of a very incorrect idea put out into the public. It was believed that if you restricted the issuing of centrefire pistols, the government would reduce the number of gun deaths. The thing is, no legally held centrefire pistol was ever used to commit a crime here in this country. So how does banning them cut down on the number of deaths.

All the gangland hits etc are being done with illegal guns. Gun control doesn't do one damn bit of good when it comes to stopping criminals getting access to a gun. It only affects us law abiding citizens because the criminals don't give a fcuk about gun control and will get them anyway.

So, to answer your question, yes, I am offended.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    As a law abiding shooter, I get very frustrated being lumped in with all the criminals just because I enjoy target shooting.

The media look down upon me because I own a gun. My gun is used for my hobby, the same as someone else uses their golf clubs for their hobby.

I get offended because people with an incorrect perception of my sport sometimes put out very bad information into the public domain and this can cause us law abiding citizens in the shooting community much trouble.

I can't shoot centrefire pistols because a law was passed because of a very incorrect idea put out into the public. It was believed that if you restricted the issuing of centrefire pistols, the government would reduce the number of gun deaths. The thing is, no legally held centrefire pistol was ever used to commit a crime here in this country. So how does banning them cut down on the number of deaths.

All the gangland hits etc are being done with illegal guns. Gun control doesn't do one damn bit of good when it comes to stopping criminals getting access to a gun. It only affects us law abiding citizens because the criminals don't give a fcuk about gun control and will get them anyway.

So, to answer your question, yes, I am offended.

This issue obviously means more to people than i thought, I was wrong to make little of it. I hope ye get yer apology from Hooke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

I used to know George, he coached me in rugby years ago, he also knew my father , we use to see him around fitzwilliam tennis club. Both of us are licensed firearm owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭BlatentCheek

He's a leper alright. Media trolls like him make a career out of speaking nonsense in an aggressive and overconfident fashion: idiots love it as he's "saying it like it is" while anyone else getting angry and making a fuss just raises the trolls profile with any idiots out there who aren't already fans.

I heard him at the time of the Sandy Hook incident talking to a US gun rights advocate who had to point out that people in these incidents rarely use machine guns, which George didn't accept. When the man explained that a machine gun is one where one holds down the trigger to shoot multiple bullets George Hook contended that no gun like that existed; the other chaps sense of exasperation was actually a bit funny.

Not into guns myself but I can certainly appreciate how you'd take offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Lads... we are discussing the opinion of a has been 3rd rated fkuc all use nobody of a rugby player's opinion... his biggest opinion was on errectile disfunction.... lets not give the auld 2nd rate broadcaster on a 3rd rate show any more opinion, as that will give him a basis for a programme tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Huh?? What did I miss? This guy and his web site are in Ohio, and they sell gun stuff, right?

"I suppose he could have called us thick lying paddies as well" - like from the land of the bogs and the little people? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Chiparus wrote: »
    I used to know George, he coached me in rugby years ago, he also knew my father , we use to see him around fitzwilliam tennis club. Both of us are licensed firearm owners.

Might like to point that fact out to that bigoted buffon next time your paths cross?:)
    Question is now do we give this idiot more airtime by demanding an apology from him and that station thru us and our elected bodies,or do we just let it die a death of lack of publcity oxygen??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Might like to point that fact out to that bigoted buffon next time your paths cross?:)
    Question is now do we give this idiot more airtime by demanding an apology from him and that station thru us and our elected bodies,or do we just let it die a death of lack of publcity oxygen??

Surely there is some sort of rules against groundless rants by broadcasters that insult a group of people based on nothing but their personal feelings on an issue ? if he had a rant against another group, immigrants or travellers for instance, that couldn't go unpunished surely ?
    To the best of my knowledge you can't hold or be granted a firearms cert if you are a convicted criminal, so his assumption that we are all criminals is a complete and utter lie ?

Advertisement