Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Much is IVF

Options
  • 18-04-2013 6:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi me and my partner are looking at maybe getting IVF but before we dive in we want to see how much of a dent it will make in the bank.

Could anyone tell me the best place to go and the best price please?

I would really appreciate anyone's help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

It's pretty much the same price range everywhere. Around 4.5 to 5k. Best of luck. You need to budget for 3 goes. Also do you know why you are having trouble as ivf isn't suitable for all especially if an underlying issue isn't first addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RonRon1

Yopyop wrote: »
    Hi me and my partner are looking at maybe getting IVF but before we dive in we want to see how much of a dent it will make in the bank.

Could anyone tell me the best place to go and the best price please?

Hi, I am undergoing IVF at the moment in the Hari Unit in Rotunda. Realistically with all the bloods tests etc its worked out at 7k. There are are a few hidden extras like medication & blood tests that you need to have money ready for. We spent 300 e one day on blood tests for us both so be prepared.
    I have gone through IVF for the first time and am now waiting to see if I'm pregnany (another week and a half to go). I've found the HARI unit to be excellent, extremely professional and caring. I would definitely recommend them. Best of luck to you both, stay positive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Fri.Day

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056367409

Thread from some time ago but prices should be roughly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 37 ashl

Hi Barbiegirl,

Sorry to hijack this thread but could I just ask why you have to budget for 3 goes? Do you need to have €15k set aside from the start then?

Thanks
    barbiegirl wrote: »
    It's pretty much the same price range everywhere. Around 4.5 to 5k. Best of luck. You need to budget for 3 goes. Also do you know why you are having trouble as ivf isn't suitable for all especially if an underlying issue isn't first addressed.

ashl wrote: »
    Hi Barbiegirl,

Sorry to hijack this thread but could I just ask why you have to budget for 3 goes? Do you need to have €15k set aside from the start then?

Thanks

You only pay for each cycle as you go through it. But IVF is not a magic pill or guaranteed solution. Looking at my friends who have done it (I haven't yet) it takes on average 3 goes if it is going to work. Some people are lucky but some aren't. Have a budget for yourself mentally and emotionally and monetarily of 3 goes. If you get there quicker you are in a great place. You can obviously save between each cycle.

• Advertisement

Thanks Barbiegirl - that's good to know. Hope you are doing well since Mr A worked his magic on you!

You only pay for each cycle as you go through it. But IVF is not a magic pill or guaranteed solution. Looking at my friends who have done it (I haven't yet) it takes on average 3 goes if it is going to work. Some people are lucky but some aren't. Have a budget for yourself mentally and emotionally and monetarily of 3 goes. If you get there quicker you are in a great place. You can obviously save between each cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

The minimum per fresh cycle is around 5K. If you're using frozen embryoes (frosties) from an earlier fresh cycle it'll work out around 1-2K. Bloods can often be done cheaper via your GP as long as they're done in UCD.

Some people get lucky and get pregnant the first time.

It took us 3 or 4 fresh cycles to get pregnant. One of those IVFs had a lot of extras including blood product transfusion for 3K. So yeah, all told, our little fella cost us around €30K to grow. If we'd stopped at €25K we'd have had nothing. An extra €5K and we have everything.

We'll compound up the interest on that €30K and work out a repayment plan for him, once he starts working.

After he was born, then it got really expensive with creche, clothes etc. :)

ashl wrote: »
    Thanks Barbiegirl - that's good to know. Hope you are doing well since Mr A worked his magic on you!

We're 5 months into treatment with napro now, four more to go. If it doesn't work then at least I am now properly prepped for ivf. It would never have worked before Dr. A I pretty much try not go talk about it too much on here as being here for 5 years is not what the newbies need to hear.

As you said though at least your body is in a much better shape now internally to move to the next step if needed. It's great to have gotten to meet the brilliant Mr A so he could work his magic on us when others couldn't. We still have to decide how long ill stay with Napro but it probably will be until March I'd say. After that it will be IVF. I hope you get your BFP over the next couple of months as I know you have been through a lot.

We're 5 months into treatment with napro now, four more to go. If it doesn't work then at least I am now properly prepped for ivf. It would never have worked before Dr. A I pretty much try not go talk about it too much on here as being here for 5 years is not what the newbies need to hear.

Advertisement