Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stephen Baxter

Options
  • 18-04-2013 6:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

Ive read a lot of his stuff, not all of it, so far I think he is about the best of the current science fiction writers out there.
    Do you agree and who would you think is similiar ie high quality story driven hard science fiction?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I've only read one of his, and the one he co-wrote with Terry Pratchett, but the consensus in this house - my partner and his 17 yr old son who've read more than me - is that he has great ideas, good plots, but no characters to identify with. I liked the book I read (Coalescent) but the jump the second book took was a bit much for me and I didn't read more than a bunch of pages. To be fair, I read more fantasy than sci-fi, but The Long Earth - with Terry Pratchett - was pretty bad, and I'd agree with the family that the characters aren't fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I used to love his stuff, got a few of his books signed, but haven't really got into any of his more recent work.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

I've read the Time's Tapestry series and i found the payoff on that unsatisfying. I read Coalescent too and enjoyed some of it. I think some of his ideas are fantastic but I'm not sure if I quite 'get' him yet. So whether I need to read more to get a sense of his style, I'm not sure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I only read two of his books ,Emperor and Conqueror. The series started well ,but during part 2, I became bored TBH and never continued with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,163 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Recently read 'The Wheel of Ice' (well sort of read, I heard the audiobook) Thought it was a great story, much better then a book from the same range called 'The Coming of the Terraphiles' by Michael Moorcock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement