Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dreamweaver/server help

• 18-04-2013 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭

Hey,

I don't know whether or not this is the right place to put this, so if admin know somewhere better please fell free to move it.

Basically I designed a website in Photoshop, exported as HTML to dreamweaver and set it up fully, But I don't know what is the next step to make the website live? Like what do i need to put it live etc.

Has anyone got any help? I'm relatively new to this so any help would be great. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Can you view the website from the folder it was exported to by double clicking index.html?

If so, just copy the contents of that folder to the root of your hosting server.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭PaulyBolger

Can you view the website from the folder it was exported to by double clicking index.html?

If so, just copy the contents of that folder to the root of your hosting server.

whats he hosting server? thats what i'm asking about.

You need somewhere to host your website. Might be easy to start with Google Sites - https://support.google.com/sites/answer/153098?hl=en&ref_topic=23216&rd=1

You need somewhere to host your website. Might be easy to start with Google Sites - https://support.google.com/sites/answer/153098?hl=en&ref_topic=23216&rd=1

so from dreamweaver do i just copy all the HTML or?

Sorry, can't talk you through it all. You have some (and then some more) reading up to do. :)

• Advertisement

Sorry, can't talk you through it all. You have some (and then some more) reading up to do. :)

any links to start me in the right place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

The site you have created needs to be hosted on a server somewhere and you need to look into purchasing a domain name.

By way of a flawed analogy - the server you need to host your website on is like the the shop space a business rents. Initially the business will need to move its merchandise (the files you created) to this shop space. The business also needs a name and for its details to be put in the Golden Pages. In computer speak this is called a domain. www.boards.ie is an example of a domain.

So, you will need:

1) Server space (shop space)
    2) An FTP client (a truck to transport your good to the shop space you just rented)
    3) A domain (the name of your business and directions how to find you)

You will probably need an FTP client like Filezilla. This programme allows you to connect to a server and move files such as your HTML file from your computer to the server you are using. Once it's on this server then anyone in the world can visit it (except if you are living in North Korea :().

The site you have created needs to be hosted on a server somewhere and you need to look into purchasing a domain name.

By way of a flawed analogy - the server you need to host your website on is like the the shop space a business rents. Initially the business will need to move its merchandise (the files you created) to this shop space. The business also needs a name and for its details to be put in the Golden Pages. In computer speak this is called a domain. www.boards.ie is an example of a domain.

So, you will need:

1) Server space (shop space)
    2) An FTP client (a truck to transport your good to the shop space you just rented)
    3) A domain (the name of your business and directions how to find you)

You will probably need an FTP client like Filezilla. This programme allows you to connect to a server and move files such as your HTML file from your computer to the server you are using. Once it's on this server then anyone in the world can visit it (except if you are living in North Korea :().

That actually explained it perfectly.
    Where can I get a server? How much would they cost roughly?
    What's the best FTP?
    I know how to get a domain.

I was looking at register365 and they sell hosting.. Would that work the same as a server and FTP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

That actually explained it perfectly.
    Where can I get a server? How much would they cost roughly?
    What's the best FTP?
    I know how to get a domain.

I was looking at register365 and they sell hosting.. Would that work the same as a server and FTP?

We aren't really allowed to discuss hosting here but some of the more popular hosting companies are register365, OVH, Blacknight and so on. I would guess that the basic hosting package that each company offers would do. If you want to rent server space then you go to these guys. They also register your domains. Generally each site will have a filed that you can type your desired domain name into and it will tell you if the domain name is free or not and if not what "top-level" variations" are availabe. A top level domain is the .ie, .com, .co.uk etc bit at the end. If it's available then you can register it for a small fee.

You are effectively leasing the server space and using the hosting company as middle men to register the domain name in your name. Going back to the shop analogy, this means that you can move out of the rented space at any time and move into a new premises (the server of a new hosting company) and the business name remain yours if you keep renewing it. Both hosting and domains can be renewed annually or even up to a period of every decade in the case of some domain names. You always get the option to renew your domain name first and this is why somebody isn't going to get www.coca-cola.co.uk and try sell it back to Coke at a massive profit.

AS for FTP clients, something like Filezilla or Winscp are just fine. I randomly chose this on-line tutorial on how to use Filezilla. Not sure if it's any good but it might get you rolling.

Finally, you might want to check out a free CMS like Wordpress. This can be popped onto your server, you can get loads of free themes and paid ones (just a couple of examples) and it gives you the power to make changes to your site very easily.

Advertisement