Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will MAGNET ever expand their FTTH

• 18-04-2013 8:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

So Will MAGNET ever expand their Fibre broadband or do I need to buy a new house to get rid of UPC 150MB and switch to an apparently faster MAGNET 100MB?

I have been waiting at least 5 years
    In DUB 9 BTW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭lotas

Think Magnet gave up running fiber when the building trade stopped... they had agreements with the developers of the sites, and they ran the fiber and the developer dident have to... as for expanding, i think they will probably wait for Eircom to run Fiber to the home and use that...

I am on UPC at the moment in D24, but would like to get another provider in the area... more bandwidth the merrier!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I don't think so. I think they will try to expand via Eircom's fttc.

magnet / digiweb are very small operations. It costs significant money to put fibre everywhere. Only really UPC / Eircom have done it and hopefully ESB / BT will do it on a decent scale going forward.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Ok question 2.....I want 20-50 up and under 5ms ping

Any chance of me getting this in Ireland in the next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

You would have to move to a FTTH enabled area. Magnet do have a few places enabled. Eircom have a few places enabled.

I have seen and used Magnets FTTH, and it is the best broadband I have ever used. Astonishing low pings, like 3 to 4 ms to Irish servers. Not much more to the UK. Incredibly steady download and upload rates.

If you were loaded you could get fibre in, probably any time. But it would cost you a fortune.

Eircom may eventually follow what BT are doing in the UK which means you would be able to order FTTH, but you may have to contribute towards the costs of it. If they had to run fibre a long way or dig, costs could be high.

The FTTC and then vectoring and then vectored / bonded products should be good. Hopefully 20 mbit up and improving to 30mbit up soon

Check to see if you are near a new FTTC cabinet, if you are about 400 to 500 metres or less from one. You should be able to get good speeds.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?q=http:%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FZoJPsB&hl=en&ll=53.422628,-7.800293&spn=6.418624,21.643066&sll=53.3834,-8.21775&sspn=6.424543,21.643066&t=m&z=6

UPC also offer some very good products if you are in an area they serve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭JDxtra

You can have all of that with a leased line. Might be cheaper than buying a new house.

But seriously though, you've been waiting for 100mb down / 50mb up with <5ms for over 5 years?

What are doing, hosting a data centre??

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

For that you would be looking at leasted lines. Its not cheap though.

If your hosting a server or something, you could place it in a data centre. They would look after physical security and you would have Tier 1 connections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

I just want it for xbox gaming so I get host at night and dont have to play on USA connections

With my UPC I get about 157 down 9 up and 25-30 ping
    That being said if my connection is working properly and other players connect to me well I can out host a USA lobby over USA hosts lately I dont even outhost UK players as the majority have at least 20 up and a maximum of 10 ping with virgin.

Question 3 - Is UPC FTTC then as it cant seem to match magnets FTTH or is it somthing else?

and what will eircoms ping be like with their fibre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    I just want it for xbox gaming so I get host at night and dont have to play on USA connections

With my UPC I get about 157 down 9 up and 25-30 ping
    That being said if my connection is working properly and other players connect to me well I can out host a USA lobby over USA hosts lately I dont even outhost UK players as the majority have at least 20 up and a maximum of 10 ping with virgin.

Question 3 - Is UPC FTTC then as it cant seem to match magnets FTTH or is it somthing else?

and what will eircoms ping be like with their fibre?

LOL

Advertisement