Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who's with Airtricity and can tell me the conversation factor??

Options
  • 18-04-2013 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭

I am not quite sure whether I am posting in the right forum, but I need you guys' help. And million thanks in advance!

Who is will Airtricity for gas and can tell me the conversion factor from m3 to kWh for the months of September 2011 - February 2013? The conversion factor is printed at the back of the bill and it changes monthly.

The reason why I asked because I was told that the conversion factor was 31, 32 something for those months by the people who shared the bills with me (I did not get to see the actual bills, my mistake). But Airtricity customer staff told me that the conversion factor would only fluctuates between 10-12?? If Airtricity customer staff is right (they can be wrong though, something the customer staff can be confused with information), I was asked to pay triple of my actual usage. But the Airtricity customer staff refused to tell me the previous monthly conversion factors because I am not the person who register with them (privacy concerns I guess) even though she said she understood the conversion factor is just an information for public.

MILLIONS THANKS.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

On my dec - feb bill two rates: 11.3 & 11.6
    On my feb - apr bill four rates between 11.0 & 11.3

What are these actually about?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

THANKS, mel b.

From Airtricity web site:

The Conversion Factor is a multipler we use to convert your gas from the units on your meter (cubic meters or hundred cubic feet) into the units you are billed on (kilowatt hours).

Cubic meters (m3) and hundred cubic feet (hcf) are units of volume i.e., how much gas you use, while kilowatt hours (kWh) are a unit of energy i.e., how much energy was released from burning the gas you used. The Conversion Factor is the amount of energy (in kWh) released from burning 1m3 or 1hcf of gas.

Why the Conversion Factor changes

The reason the Conversion Factor changes is that the energy content of your gas (sometimes referred to as its calorific value) varies depending on:

Where it is sourced from
    The physical composition of the gas
    Local temperature and pressure
    Bord Gáis Networks (which owns and maintains the gas network in the Republic of Ireland) monitors these factors and adjusts the Conversion Factor accordingly for each gas meter reading or estimate they supply to us.

The Conversion Factor and your bill

As the Conversion Factor is determined by Bord Gáis Networks, this means they are responsible for supplying all gas meter readings and estimates to us. If we don't receive a gas meter reading or estimate during your billing period we won't be able to bill you for gas (unlike electricity where we can generate estimates).

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭booksale

I think I figure out why now. The 33 something is the conversation factor to converse the usage from Ccf (cubic feet) to kWh. But my metre is a m3 metre.

Cheers!

Advertisement