Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formatting a hard drive

Options
  • 18-04-2013 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

I have a 500gb Toshiba hard drive, iv been using it as an external recorder on a LG tv,i want to format it back so I can use it permanently with my laptop,i thought it would be straight forward but the hard drive is not being recognised when I plug it in to the laptop so I cant format it,anybody any ideas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

DBAN should work.

http://www.dban.org/

Download the ISO, burn it to a CD or put it onto a USB stick using Rufus. Your HDD will be wiped and the HDD should be detected by the Windows installer for partitioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Freddy Smelly

plug it in and go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > then disk management

if you see the drive there you will need to delete the partition then create a new one ntfs type and then format it

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭manutd83

plug it in and go to control panel > administrative tools > computer management > then disk management

if you see the drive there you will need to delete the partition then create a new one ntfs type and then format it
    Tried this one first and it worked a treat, thanks very much to both of you for your help

Advertisement