Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Cost Maternity Clothes

• 18-04-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭

So ladies, I am due numeró duo at the end of July and last time I went for oversized clothes and just looked fat. This time I want to look just pregnant but not spend too much (too much being over 50e an outfit) it is maternity wear, I don't plan on using it again and it is only for another 3 months. Is there anywhere online that does nice clothes for those of us on a budget. I am a jeans and hoodies woman myself, but since I will be huge for the most of the summer, I want a few nice tops and maybe a dress or two.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    So ladies, I am due numeró duo at the end of July and last time I went for oversized clothes and just looked fat. This time I want to look just pregnant but not spend too much (too much being over 50e an outfit) it is maternity wear, I don't plan on using it again and it is only for another 3 months. Is there anywhere online that does nice clothes for those of us on a budget. I am a jeans and hoodies woman myself, but since I will be huge for the most of the summer, I want a few nice tops and maybe a dress or two.

Any suggestions?

H&m, second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

New look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭taxus_baccata

I found h &m great. Anything I bought there I wore into the ground! I had my son in sept and stayed in the one pair of flip flops from March onwards ah the happy memories of only having one decent out fit and 3 mediocre ones!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

liliq wrote: »
    H&m, second hand?

Yeah, I have no problem with secondhand, it is only for a few months, I was searching online and I nearly had a heart attack at the cost of some clothes. Why would any woman fork out a holy fortune for something she will only wear a few months???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Yeah, I have no problem with secondhand, it is only for a few months, I was searching online and I nearly had a heart attack at the cost of some clothes. Why would any woman fork out a holy fortune for something she will only wear a few months???

I second h&m and new look. If you're in Dublin there are 2 huge ones right beside each other in both liffey valley and the square. pennys also do long tight t-shirts which I've been living in too.

• Advertisement

highly1111 wrote: »
    I second h&m and new look. If you're in Dublin there are 2 huge ones right beside each other in both liffey valley and the square. pennys also do long tight t-shirts which I've been living in too.

I never knew new look had a maternity line, I LOVE their clothes. I am in Dublin, but way down the Southside. Will have to get a bus up to it some day soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭javagal

I never knew new look had a maternity line, I LOVE their clothes. I am in Dublin, but way down the Southside. Will have to get a bus up to it some day soon.

Online has a much much better selection. Order online and you can bring back in store if they don't suit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

I was also coming in here to say h and m - the cheapest place by far I found for maternity stuff. Got skinny jeans for EUR20 - as well as a really nice jumper and some tops. I actually think I'll wear the jeans after I'm pregnant, they're nice and always handy to have something roomy if you want to have a fat day :)

All my other maternity stuff I bought overseas - I think you can get it online though. The range is called mamalicious and was very affordable. Got some great tops for pregnancy and breastfeeding as well as some plain t-shirts and vests. I wish I'd bought more then one vest. It's got in built support for my bump and makes carrying the weight around much easier.

Also - definitely order online with New Look instead of going in to one. I looked in the big one in the Jervis centre and the range was seriously crap. Much better online :)

Ooh just looked up the New Look site and they have a section called bump on a budget

http://www.newlook.com/shop/maternity/bump-on-a-budget_2350029

i do not need any more maternity clothes but it is tempting :D

The range I bought does have an Irish site as well if anyone is looking to buy online:

http://mamalicious.com/?forcecountry=IE

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »
    Ooh just looked up the New Look site and they have a section called bump on a budget

http://www.newlook.com/shop/maternity/bump-on-a-budget_2350029

i do not need any more maternity clothes but it is tempting :D

The range I bought does have an Irish site as well if anyone is looking to buy online:

http://mamalicious.com/?forcecountry=IE

MW, I feel like I would be lost without you this pregnancy!

I love the t-shirt that says #Whoops! Though I am not sure baby would like it in 10 years if it ever saw a pic of me in it.

Good to know some companies aren't out to break the bank!

MW, I feel like I would be lost without you this pregnancy!

I love the t-shirt that says #Whoops! Though I am not sure baby would like it in 10 years if it ever saw a pic of me in it.

Good to know some companies aren't out to break the bank!

I loled at the whoops t-shirt too! I'm a bit tempted by it for the laugh :)

I like the look of some of the maternity vests too, they're very good value and I'm living in the one I have, wear it nearly every day!

I love this dress as well for 40EUR

http://mamalicious.com/mama-licious/dresses/NEWKATINKAFLOWERS/SJERSEYDRESS/20001488,en_GB,pd.html?dwvar_20001488_colorPattern=20001488_DOVE_363293&forceScope=

Went and got a few things there. Is it sad that I am all excited for my delivery next week now?

Went and got a few things there. Is it sad that I am all excited for my delivery next week now?

Not at all - I'd be really excited too! :)

Not at all - I'd be really excited too! :)

2 dresses and a vest top (they are nearly sold out so only one in my size, but I love the comfort of knowing my vest goes over my bump and bum. I normally hate dresses, but Jeans are driving me insane at the moment and I dunno what they are doing to them these days, but they wear in the crotch WAY too quickly!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

e-bay and h and m

2 dresses and a vest top (they are nearly sold out so only one in my size, but I love the comfort of knowing my vest goes over my bump and bum. I normally hate dresses, but Jeans are driving me insane at the moment and I dunno what they are doing to them these days, but they wear in the crotch WAY too quickly!

Maternity dresses are hard to find as well, most of the stuff in the shops seems to be over the bump jeans and t-shirt type tops. Hope they arrive soon for you :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I got a couple of pairs of chino trousers in h&m this time around. I got so fed up trying to battle with tights every morning for work and they're casual enough to wear outside work too. The best thing about H&M is the trousers are over the bump so are super comfie.

H&M is def my favourite place. Dorothy Perkins used to be good too but they don't seem to do maternity anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Blueskye

I found H&M the best both for cost and comfort. Love the vests and tops that are long enough to go over bump. Am living in their over the bump track suit bottoms lately. But their jeans are great too. And I wear long cardies from penny's. I bought a dress in mothercare on sale and only wore it once. Couldn't be doing with tights etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭paperclipgrad

Eighthing (Look! A new word!) the H&M and New Look suggestions. I got my jeans in New Look, they fit me much better than the H&M ones (H&M have the short crotch thing going on, not a good thing with my long torso and short legs, no), but I got the normal sized stretchy H&M basic dresses and skirts, I now use the dresses as tops. :D The good thing about them is I can wear them after the pregnancy too...it'll probably be a month or so before anyone gets back into their normal jeans, right? I hear it takes a while...

I got my jeans on sale for the opulent price of €15. Cue admiration from sisters and friends. :D They're really comfy too, I wear them all the time! Only problem now is that the bump band is slowly going downwards on the bump, I kind of like it when things go all the way up to the top or all the way to the bottom without bunching up. I hate bunching.

Regarding underwear, the microfibre ones from penneys are (while slightly dearer than Penney's usual high quality stuff(!) ) the most comfortable underpants in existence, they're really stretchy but don't bunch in that annoying way or leave elastic lines....

Annoying thing though- I keep buying new bras, then outgrowing them. >:( but not quite enough to go up the next size range...I'm really just wearing the roomier of my pre-pregnancy bras now, some of the pregnancy ones don't fit now! They're not as stretchy as they'd have one think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Apparently Penny's have started to do some maternity stuff in their bigger stores in Dublin now. Read about them having jeans anyway, might be worth a look!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭grarf

Nice one on the New Look tip, just put through an order :P
    I got a pair of maternity jeans off Amazon, a seller named FunMum, they're in the UK. 34 inch length, which is what I need, and I'm living in them, so comfy. Cost about 35 pounds I think, so not low-low cost, but I know I'm gonna get a good bit of wear out of them, relatively speaking.

I wish there was a better choice of affordable maternity jeans. I'm a short arse so normally buy my jeans from Topshop's petite range. All the affordable maternity jeans don't really have varying lengths so mine are too long. Have been wearing them only with boots so that's been ok but now the weather is warmer I want to wear ballet flats and it looks silly.

Who wants to go into business with me selling jeans?! :D

MW I got the straight jeans from H&M and either roll them up on outside or tuck them underneath. They look fine either way because they're straight leg. I always have this problem with jeans in general being a short ar5e myself and it's very annoying.

MW I got the straight jeans from H&M and either roll them up on outside or tuck them underneath. They look fine either way because they're straight leg. I always have this problem with jeans in general being a short ar5e myself and it's very annoying.

Yeah, I've been rolling mine up at the bottom or trying to pull them up high and it could look worse. I am looking forward to getting back into my normal skinnies though!

My h and m jeans are a better fit on the leg for me so I think they're slightly better for shorter people than other ranges - for any other short arses out there

Yeah, I've been rolling mine up at the bottom or trying to pull them up high and it could look worse. I am looking forward to getting back into my normal skinnies though!

My h and m jeans are a better fit on the leg for me so I think they're slightly better for shorter people than other ranges - for any other short arses out there

I prefer to refer to myself as vertically challenged thank you!!!! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Rang pennys in Cork today and she said they have "blue and black maternity trousers"... Not sure what 'trousers' means but am going to pop in tomorrow for a look. Am hoping they are nicely fitting skinny jeans. Only €13 so I'll probably take a pair whatever they are like! I'll report back what I find!!

So far the h&m leggings have been a godsend for me. They are very comfy over the bump and go with long t-shirts, dresses, skirts the lot. They've been very comfy in the cold weather too.

My hubby works in the uk alot so he is picking up some stuff in topshop for me - way cheaper over there. Their double layer tube skirt always gets rave reviews and looks like it can be dressed up and down so I'm hoping it will be a staple come the summer.

I love the H&M leggings- wore the normal thick ones over the winter and now the summer is coming I've upgraded to the thinner 'mama leggings', like tights but without the feet and goes alllll the way over bump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭banbhaaifric

Well.... Currently wearing the SIZE 8 :pac::pac: maternity jeans from pennys..... Ladies, I am not a size 8.. Not really a 10 either... And the belly part is really loose on me too. I'm only 20 weeks, but with the belly of about 28:rolleyes:

For 13 euros they aren't bad, but they only had a few pairs in there, more of the pale denim (bit too close to the 80s look for me) but only 3 pairs of the indigo in the whole shop. I asked if they would be getting them in again, but no one had a clue...

Hardly anything decent in H&M and New Look either, although I did get a pair of black skinny jeans in h&m which have a nice big band for over the belly and are only €20. Totally worth the extra 7 quid I think :)

• Advertisement

Am I the only one who remembers in our mum's days or at least until the mid-90s they all had dungaree's. I wonder should I invest in a pair :)

The dungarees are really annoying though, have to take the whole thing off every time you go to the bathroom...ugh!

My mother wore 'tents' and my sister (when she was in her birthing era, about 16-10 years ago), wore dungarees. She always says she wishes the clothes that are around today were there in her time! We're very lucky, really...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I saw dungarees in Mothercare and was tempted all right. Apparently they are 'in' this season anyway. Though they're really a better look for toddlers than grown-ups!

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Chocoholic84

I bought a load of stuff on the New Look website the other day...they are fab!

I'm on the lookout for a lighter spring coat- I borrowed my SIL's winter pregnancy coat, but it's pretty thick and starting to get too hot these days. I'd like something that goes over the bump now, but with drawstrings that can retract that area once baby's out so I get more than a couple of months of wear out of it. Ideally in a green or cream colour, not plastic....and with a hood!

Anyone see something like that around? If so, let me know! I'd rather buy it in the store so I can try it on first.

New Look usually do jackets and coats. Their winter costs aren't great as there's no warmth in them but the lighter ones are fine. I'm wearing the one today thatI bought when pregnant on my son back in Autumn 2010.

• Advertisement

HS, Maternity jackets or? Thanks for the suggestion, will have a look in New Look later today. Does the Dundrum NL
    have maternity clothes?

HS, Maternity jackets or? Thanks for the suggestion, will have a look in New Look later today. Does the Dundrum NL
    have maternity clothes?

There's no New Look in Dundrum, as far as I know!

Bummer! Was just going to pop over as I'll be staying with my sister tonight (early start in college tomorrow)...does Dundrum have any decent high street stores with a maternity section?

Bummer! Was just going to pop over as I'll be staying with my sister tonight (early start in college tomorrow)...does Dundrum have any decent high street stores with a maternity section?

They have a h and m with a maternity range - it's not in the main h and m store but in the separate one where the kids clothes are on the third floor, next to House of Fraser. There's a mamas and papas shop too that does maternity stuff but I don't think it's great - I bought my maternity swimming togs there.

There's a Topshop in House of Fraser but I don't know how extensive their maternity range is.

If you have the car Carrickmines is only one exit from Dundrum and has a Mothercare with maternity stuff - also there's a really good TK Maxx there which might be a good place to get a jacket that is non maternity but will fit. They have all their Spring stuff in at the moment.

All great suggestions, thanks a million, niamh!

• Advertisement

All great suggestions, thanks a million, niamh!

You're very welcome :) Happy shopping!

Thanks. :) BTW I was in mothercare last week and the little girl clothes for summer are SO CUTE.

Thanks. :) BTW I was in mothercare last week and the little girl clothes for summer are SO CUTE.

Yeah, I was in there last week, they have some nice stuff. Some of the maternity stuff is on sale too. There's also a Heatons in Carrickmines and they had some cute babygros etc too.

I feel like I'm just encouraging you to spend money now!

I feel like I'm just encouraging you to spend money now!

MW, you're getting all free stuff for your baby by getting us all to spend a fortune on ours aren't you!!!!! :pac:

I live 10 min from Carrickmine and never even thought to go to TK Maxx and Heatons! Bigger fool me!

Is that such a bad thing? :D

I'm not a big buyer anyway, I just like looking around at things...

I haven't actually bought any baby clothes yet. Not sure what size I should buy the 'coming home outfit' in. But maybe I shouldn't write this in here- it's a maternity clothes thread after all!

MW, you're getting all free stuff for your baby by getting us all to spend a fortune on ours aren't you!!!!! :pac:

I live 10 min from Carrickmine and never even thought to go to TK Maxx and Heatons! Bigger fool me!

Mwah hah hah! :D

Yeah, I'm about 15 mins from Carrickmines and it's a handy little place. They Smyths there does baby stuff too. They have a really good range of mattresses for cribs/moses baskets is anyone is looking out for one. It was the only place we could get a mattress the right size for our swinging crib.

Yeah, I'm about 15 mins from Carrickmines and it's a handy little place. They Smyths there does baby stuff too. They have a really good range of mattresses for cribs/moses baskets is anyone is looking out for one. It was the only place we could get a mattress the right size for our swinging crib.

Yes, it's a good one, I need to stock up on safety gear for this place, socket covers and fireplace protectors and what not. Not even for no.2 but in general!

Speaking of swinging cribs, where did you get your bedding for yours? I know mothercare do them but they are all copyrighted designs like Original Pooh Bear which I love but are 40-50 a set.

Yes, it's a good one, I need to stock up on safety gear for this place, socket covers and fireplace protectors and what not. Not even for no.2 but in general!

Speaking of swinging cribs, where did you get your bedding for yours? I know mothercare do them but they are all copyrighted designs like Original Pooh Bear which I love but are 40-50 a set.

I bought the fitted sheets in that Smyths - they have sheets marked Crib and they are the right size. It was buy one get one half price when we bought them a few weeks ago.

I also bought a little bedding set online on Amazon. I think it was 10 pounds plus delivery. It was a little bumper, quilt and drape thing. I also found the Mothercare ones very expensive and they didn't go on sale, even though the cot bedding did. It was the bumper I wanted really from the set as I've got a grobag/swaddling thing for the baby to sleep in but I figure the little quilt will come in handy at some stage!

Paperclipgrad - I'm terrible for buying baby stuff! I only bought vests and babygros though in sizes 0 -3 months. I was advised not to get anything else as you get gifts and for the first while they don't need anything else.

Paperclipgrad - I'm terrible for buying baby stuff! I only bought vests and babygros though in sizes 0 -3 months. I was advised not to get anything else as you get gifts and for the first while they don't need anything else.

This^^^^^

Take it from a second time mammy, EVERYONE goes mental buying clothes, and it is all 0-3 and 3-6 month. I just had a few things for the hospital and everything else was gifts. I only bought about 4 outfits at all in the first 6 months.

Mothercare even on sale is expensive, but then again, everything is good quality too.

OK, I'll leave the clothes buying so. :) It'll be more fun picking something out once I know the sex anyway...

Mothercare is actually really expensive for most things- even small things like muslin cloths cost like €15. wtf.

• Advertisement
Advertisement