Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need your help

• 18-04-2013 10:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

If you could be so good to me and give me a dig out as I need your help with something which I am in the process of putting together.

I am going through all of the dogs that are on the RB list and I want to know from all of you which dogs in your experiences that are not on the RB list are most confused/mistaken for dogs that are on the RB list.

I know already how bad this list is and I have talked about it enough until I did actually turn blue in the face :eek: :D

All jokes aside, even if you have not experienced it first hand could you tell me the dogs that you may have once thought are a certain breed which are not.

If you could answer pretty much like this,
    Bull Mastiff -- Dog De Bordeaux (one a lot of people would mix up)

Thanks in advance for any of the replies you might reply to me

PLEASE DO NOT DRAG THIS THREAD INTO ANY KIND ARGUMENT ABOUT THE LIST OR WHAT DOGS ARE ON THE LIST. I'D ASK YOU ALL NOT TO REPLY TO ANYTHING SAID THAT ANNOYS YOU.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Greyhounds are often presumed to be on the RB list, not because they look like another breed that's on the list, but because people are used to seeing them muzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

boomerang wrote: »
    Greyhounds are often presumed to be on the RB list, not because they look like another breed that's on the list, but because people are used to seeing them muzzled.

Sorry Boomerang, I probably should have stuck that in at the end of my first post, cheers though I do know that greyhounds have their own rules and regulations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

I could see how Japanese Akitas (RB) and Siberian Huskies (non RB) would get mixed up if you weren't used to these breeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

anniehoo wrote: »
    I could see how Japanese Akitas (RB) and Siberian Huskies (non RB) would get mixed up if you weren't used to these breeds.

Cheers anniehoo, I'll also be adding the American Akita into that bracket ;)

I will at some point be contacting the IKC to get clarifications on some issues.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

One that I experience a lot: my black GSD (RB) is regularly confused for a Groenendael (Belgian Shepherd: not RB)... even by the dog warden!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭gregers85

A lot of people mistake the Belgian Shepherd Malinois as German Shepherds! i think now especially because they are becoming very popular as police dogs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

My dogo argentino is mistaken for a bull mastiff (who's ever seen a white bull mastiff).

Most common one though is a pit bull but he's so big now people don't have a clue most of the time so I tell them it's a Jamaican beer dog :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

In our park (tools...)

Shar pei - staffie
    Boxer - pit bull/ bull breed
    Choc lab - pit bull/bull breed
    Akita - husky

Not on RB but if I had a euro every time I hear it I could retire... MY RETRIEVER IS NOT A 'GOLDEN LABRADOR'!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

So many people think boxers should be muzzled..
    Also can't tell the difference between a bull and english mastiff!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

My American Akita has been called a husky (never specified as Siberian, just the vague husky term) and a German Shepherd.

Once called a wolf!!!!

Some people are just completely confused to not knowing what breed she even is or if she's a mongrel.

She's very much a breed standard looking American Akita, no hint of any other dog in her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Rommie

My housemate has been asked if the akitas are pitbull mixes, boxer mixes, great dane mixes, st.bernard mixes..... not to mention part wolf and even part bear! Starting to wonder if people around here even know what a dog looks like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I know someone with a lab x, she's black with tan socks and a white chest, slightly longer hair than a lab, but not long, I think there's some border collie in there, she's nice and slim, the owner has been told his "Rottweiler" should be muzzled, she looks nothing like a rottie!
    I have heard people confuse the usual, staff with pit bull, EBT with pit bull, even a brindle boxer with a pit bull.
    Husky and Akita seen to be commonly confused too. Funny thing, last summer I met an actual pit bull, she was swimming in the river with her family 3 kids, people were complimenting her family on the lovely Labrador!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭juniord

we had a buckskin colored american pitbull terrier regularly mistaken for a golden labrador , RIP arthur , great dog

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

Boxers, definitely - not so much that they necessarily look like a particular RB, but because they're big a look a bit fierce so therefore people assume they must be on the so-called "dangerous dogs" list.

People are constantly complimenting me on my lovely Dalmatian. I don't have a Dalmatian, I have a very spotty English Setter who would make the scruffiest Dalmatian in the world. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Boxers and Labrador crosses get mistaken for RB dogs quite often, I expect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

People are constantly complimenting me on my lovely Dalmatian. I don't have a Dalmatian, I have a very spotty English Setter who would make the scruffiest Dalmatian in the world. :D

I have a Tibetan terrier and so many people have asked if he's a shih tzu it's just not funny, he's the size of a springer spaniel! Also been asked if he's one of those paint dogs, and once if he was a cocker, and best one ever is he an Akita?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

Definitely boxers. Have had a few people comment on my parent's Boxer, thinking she should be muzzled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Pretty sure my pug has been called a Boxer, bulldog.. anything else with a relatively squishy wrinkly face :rolleyes: I thought pugs were fairly distinguisable since you generally only see the fawn variety.

I usually get Men in Black dog :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭Papillon!

Papillon! wrote: »
    Pretty sure my pug has been called a Boxer, bulldog.. anything else with a relatively squishy wrinkly face :rolleyes: I thought pugs were fairly distinguisable since you generally only see the fawn variety.

I usually get Men in Black dog :D

Apologies this might have gone a bit off topic. Feel free to delete mods

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭pervertedcoffee

American Bulldog [All three strains] -- Boxers and 'Pit Bulls'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

I can't recall how many times people have said to me that my Bullmastiff (who has passed away since) is a 'huge boxer'. Brought him to the vet once, who was the same vet who looked after him all his life and he even said to me that it was unusual to see a boxer with his tail not cropped. I said to him, I'd never seen one because the dog you're looking at is a Bullmastiff.....he was mortified :D :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I can't recall how many times people have said to me that my Bullmastiff (who has passed away since) is a 'huge boxer'. Brought him to the vet once, who was the same vet who looked after him all his life and he even said to me that it was unusual to see a boxer with his tail not cropped. I said to him, I'd never seen one because the dog you're looking at is a Bullmastiff.....he was mortified :D :rolleyes:

You're better off - as soon as some people hear 'Bull' they wet their pants :p We were talking to a couple with a beautiful dogue de bordeaux last week in the park - as soon as they were gone all the panic started - he is not on that list, he should be muzzled - from grown men I might add!! I thought the dog was fantasic and told him so lol :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My boxer has been mistaken for a bull breed due to his unusual colouring, he isn't the usual boxer red, he is reverse brindle. My landlord was very weary of him until he asked me his breed.

Advertisement