Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take little shampoos from hotels?

• 18-04-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

Going to a hotel next week, and was just looking on their site and happened to spot they seem to have nice shampoos and stuff in the pics. (I know this is desperate but I'm being honest, this is how it clicked with me)

So do you take them when you're there?
    Do hotels kind of expect them to be taken?
    Is this factored into the cost when you pay?

Whats the AH opinions on this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is Luxembourg small?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭wretcheddomain

Little shampoos? Are you 6 years old OP?

/thread

Though if I'm flyin home with Ryanair I leave them, can do without the extra weight y'know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

Sneaky poo inside the bottles instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

Not just shampoo, I take towels, cups, hairdryers, bible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I never would. Not in a million years.

It's not that I'm honest. Just bald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

El Spearo wrote: »
    Going to a hotel next week, and was just looking on their site and happened to spot they seem to have nice shampoos and stuff in the pics. (I know this is desperate but I'm being honest, this is how it clicked with me)

Desperate about sums it up for me to .

Are you sure they're small now, or was the camera man not just standing far away?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Little shampoos? Are you 6 years old OP?

/thread

\thread (not that i know programming)

No I am a student. We are worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Handy for bringing to the gym!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

So do you take them when you're there?
    Do hotels kind of expect them to be taken?
    Is this factored into the cost when you pay?

Molton Brown toiletries or anything fancy - fleece.

Any cheap generic crap - nah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i took slippers and all from a hotel in killarney, the stuff is there for you to pilfer as far as im concerned. except if its the maldron, them feckers have the shampoo bottles screwed onto the wall.

I always take the shower caps, they're well handy, and oh so sexy.

Oh stahp it, you. I have a fetish for those.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

You can buy a great big bottle of the stuff in the pound shop. It's really not that big a deal OP. Jam a duvet into your duffel bag if snagging stuff is the sort of thing that floats your goat. I'm usually sorry I didn't pack my own shampoo, let alone robbing theirs. Highly doubt they'd care if you took home 100 mini bottles though, they buy it for buttons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I think the general rule is that it is acceptable to take anything with the hotel's name on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Some places I've been to actually encourage you to take them.

You can buy a great big bottle of the stuff in the pound shop. It's really not that big a deal OP.

Everyone is always quick to come up with the alternative.

What I'm saying is I'm going to be there, so I'll probably take it. Does anyone do the same.

Did I ask where I can get shampoo? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

I always take the plasma TV's home

• Advertisement

Now the in room mini bar ...that's a different matter altogether ,like I'll leave a trail of miniature bottles across the room like Denzel Washington in that crashed plane movie .

Everyone is always quick to come up with the alternative.

What I'm saying is I'm going to be there, so I'll probably take it. Does anyone do the same.

Did I ask where I can get shampoo? :P

A general rule of thumb is that if it isnt tied down, it is yours to take.

The customer is always right and you paid for it sure.

haha that actually popped into my mind there a minute ago

i took slippers and all from a hotel in killarney, the stuff is there for you to pilfer as far as im concerned. except if its the maldron, them feckers have the shampoo bottles screwed onto the wall.

As Bewleys Ballsbridge :eek:

why didnt you wear one that time in the phoenix park:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I presume you know it's customary to address all hotel staff as Jeeves.

Wouldn't want you looking like a pleb.

humbert wrote: »
    I presume you know it's customary to address all hotel staff as Jeeves.

Wouldn't want you looking like a pleb.

I am a pleb.

why didnt you wear one that time in the phoenix park:(

Cos it was see through and I didn't wanna scare people with my face, they had enough to deal with :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

I take the shampoo and the shower caps. And if the trolley is in the hall I take a few from there I also take a few pencils.

• Advertisement

I would throw the plasma tv out the window to except I'm not a rock star and besides , that's so 1970's .

Latchy wrote: »
    I would throw the plasma tv out the window to except I'm not a rock star and besides , that's so 1970's .

:rolleyes:

There were no plasma TVs in the 70s silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭didntgotoplan

Actually this one hotel in Manchester had full shampoo and shower gel bottles stuck upside down to the wall that it would probably last like 40/50 showers. Me and my sister thought it be funny to let it look like they were used up by being upside down for room service the next day, so we kept doing it for the entire length of our stay...until they stopped putting them on the wall and we took them!

Generally I find the shampoo to be horrible so I normally don't take it but I did get complimentary robes and slippers in a hotel once and took them as they were so nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Taking toiletries is one of the best parts of staying in a nice hotel! I can't afford Aveda products on my own. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭FionnK86

I think hotels expect some small things to be taken, a friend of mine stayed at the West Inn the other night and robbed a bath robe, and loads of small bits...hasn't heard back from them...my mother used to say not to do it because they have your credit card details or address but ive never heard of anyone getting charged for it...

slipper and robes are a big step up though?

sure enough they buy in bulk, but still...bit much no?

I was going to rob a pillow before starting college this year....they are damn nice pillows.

• Advertisement

:rolleyes:

There were no plasma TVs in the 70s silly.
    LSD trips can make anything look like anything ...man :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

Absolutely everything goes, the hotel expects this.

Towels, Shampoos and Shower Gels, little miniature toothpastes.

Paintings, Lamps, The pillows etc, the price of your hotel stay is reflected in this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

Take the slippers and robes and make sure you check out the next day while wearing them.

I was going to rob a pillow before starting college this year....they are damn nice pillows.

the ones i took were for sale behind the reception for €20, bollox to that.

Ask for an extra pillow, slippers and robe during your stay. Leave the originals and fleece the extras. If they have fancy toiletries, ask for extras. Take them too. The key to this, is doing it at different stages. The concierge usually work 7/3, 3/11 and then the night shift. Ask each shift for something different.

Whack the breakfast buffet out of it in the morning and you have practically covered your stay, financially.

I tend to leave a tenner in one and two euro coins for the cleaning staff and tap my nose when walking by them before checking out.

• Advertisement

LSD trips can make anything look like anything ...man :cool:

I read that as LCD trips :pac:

I am a pleb.
    We know. You get excited about free shampoo.:p:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I don't bother with the shampoo/conditioner; they're too small and fiddly plus I have to use L'Oreal Elvive Colour Protect 'cos I'm worth it :p

The mattresses in Maldron Hotels are so damn comfortable I once fleetingly wondered if there was any way of nicking one..

I take all the tea/coffee sachets, though..they're usually Bewleys and lovely. Little biscuits too.

The boyfriend once took a handful of sausages from the buffet and shoved them in a wad of tissue for a nibble later..............and I've just realised how wrong that sounds :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

the buggers in hotel kilkenny leave a list, like a menu, in the room, so any stuff you take they bill you for them, .....slippers, robes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

A lot of hotels charge theft of towels, robes, ect onto the credit card you swiped on entry. Some might not. But a few I worked in during student days did. Mini Shampoos and so on, not a big deal though. As one poster said. cost nothing to buy.

Louis Fitzgerald opened a hotel down in Clondalkin in 2009. My buddy got a job there as a barman. The rooms were nicely kitted out. Anyway, only upon a few weeks and a load of howiyas used to stay there for a night of debauchery on Fridays and Saturdays.

Anyway, the elevator to the first floor opens up just to the right of the reception desk. The duty manager is there waiting for it to open to do a floor walk. It opens up and there are two clowns carrying a flat screen plasma from their room, trying to go down to the car parking area. Caught rapid.

Some people would try and rob anything.

I stayed in the Morrison(if that's the U2 one??) a few weeks ago. Room was utterly naff and worn out(Fix it Bono, you tight sod:D)but, there was a Guggi "Bowl" in the room(worth a fair few quid) and a painting on the wall by some artist the missus got all excited about but who meant nothing to me(but then I'm a bit thick on that front amongst others) - it was an original(apparently) and worth many many eurons. I briefly considered whipping it and snaffling the Guggi but didn't fancy having the price of them slapped on the Visa card so gave it a miss. Also, the Guggi yoke was crap. They did have nice little bottles of shampoo though. The Shelbournes the nicest on that front, IMO, BTW. FTW. E.G RIW PUP IDA.

A lot of hotels charge theft of towels, robes, ect onto the credit card you swiped on entry. Some might not. But a few I worked in during student days did. Mini Shampoos and so on, not a big deal though. As one poster said. cost nothing to buy.

Hostels will, hotels will only charge you for damage to their property or serious theft. Shampoos, robes and slippers are generally let slide.

Its expected, tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I've started taking minituare versions of everyday things. Shampoo bottles from hotels. Funsize coca cola cans and mars bars etc. It's all part of an elaborate prank I'm planning on pulling on my housemate whereby he's going to wake up one morning and think he is a giant.

razorgil wrote: »
    the buggers in hotel kilkenny leave a list, like a menu, in the room, so any stuff you take they bill you for them, .....slippers, robes etc.

The Riverside Court?

I stayed there the new years before last with the missus. We got back to the residents bar at 2am and I told the saffer barman to charge our groups first round of drinks onto my room tab, along with myself and the missus' drink for the remainder.

Dude didnt understand me correctly (not his fault, Dublin accent is hard to understand - never mind at 2am in the morning after a feed of pints). So he charged everything to me. The rest had checked out so I was left holding a 350 odd euro bar bill. Had to pay it and try and sort it out with the rest later - we will get you back, sure you will.

Serious L on my behalf.

Really nice hotel and city though. Have to go back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement