Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you take little shampoos from hotels?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

It opens up and there are two clowns carrying a flat screen plasma from their room, trying to go down to the car parking area. Caught rapid.

Some people would try and rob anything.
    I have heard of two guys walking into a pub in Manchester and in front of the customers (but out of sight of the staff ) take a tv off the wall and out the back door with it ...the customers didn't bat an eyelid but it was the 1980s ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Yes Ive seen the list of 'sale prices' for all items in the hotel room. They welcome you to take any item and will charge you are the list price for it. Its a reasonable idea tbh. Re taking shampoo, surely there is no issue with this. The mini bottle is there for your use. Its pretty scummy to be taking anything else though. I heard a hotel manager on ray darcy show say how they spent a fortune on batteries for tv remotes as many many people take them with them. Thats just sad really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

no Im not a magpie

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

I've started taking minituare versions of everyday things. Shampoo bottles from hotels. Funsize coca cola cans and mars bars etc. It's all part of an elaborate prank I'm planning on pulling on my housemate whereby he's going to wake up one morning and think he is a giant.

You stole that from Scrubs!! Shame on you! I shpotted ya

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Scruffles

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't bother with the shampoo/conditioner; they're too small and fiddly plus I have to use L'Oreal Elvive Colour Protect 'cos I'm worth it :p

The mattresses in Maldron Hotels are so damn comfortable I once fleetingly wondered if there was any way of nicking one..

I take all the tea/coffee sachets, though..they're usually Bewleys and lovely. Little biscuits too.

The boyfriend once took a handful of sausages from the buffet and shoved them in a wad of tissue for a nibble later..............and I've just realised how wrong that sounds :confused:
    perhaps rolling up and lowering the mattress on a rope or just throwing it out the window to a willing acomplice woud be of service?
    assuming its not loads of floors high itd make a handy trampoline to,no need to go through reception when leaving.

re. sausages.
    assuming the tissue wasnt a snotrag; why is that wrong exactly? its far better people use the animal products sacrificed for them than to just leave them there and waste-its more of a shame to think an animal woud have been sacrificed for f-all if someone just wasted everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭solas111

It’s a question of what you think is right or wrong? In my book, taking the shampoo is stealing so I don’t take it.

Maybe you could put yourself in the shoes of the hotel owner who may be struggling to keep the place open. How would you then feel about people who take stuff from the rooms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Bushbleacher

As someone who has worked as a room attendant in a large hotel chain in the past I can say that stealing soaps, towels, slippers, bathrobes, cups or glasses will not be noticed. Staff just don't care/are too busy to notice/report something so trivial. There are always tonnes of replacements for these things available anyway so it won't cause staff any problems either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Latchy wrote: »
    I have heard of two guys walking into a pub in Manchester and in front of the customers (but out of sight of the staff ) take a tv off the wall and out the back door with it ...the customers didn't bat an eyelid but it was the 1980s ...

Id well believe it - that would have been during the 'Madchester' era.

Great city, Manchester. Dreary as f*ck, just like Dublin - but the natives are cool people.

And a cute girl with that mancunian accent :eek:

As someone who has worked as a room attendant in a large hotel chain in the past I can say that stealing soaps, towels, slippers, bathrobes, cups or glasses will not be noticed. Staff just don't care/are too busy to notice/report something so trivial. There are always tonnes of replacements for these things available anyway so it won't cause staff any problems either.

Accommodation assistant is one of the hardest jobs, bar none. Especially when the temperature rises a notch or two in the summer. Done it for three months - they earn their cash.

I always leave them a tip. Most strenuous job in a hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Used to stay in Ibis at the redcow quiet a bit a few years back and they did an all you can eat breakfast, A lot of builders, sparks etc were staying there too. At breakfast you'd see lads having a massive fry and then go up for more and load it into their lunch boxes. I know technically not stealing but taking the piss a bit :)

I also know someone who left a hotel with a new double quilt, 4 new pillows, a universal remote and 3 energy saving bulbs, and because he paid in cash they never came after him either.

Used to stay in Ibis at the redcow quiet a bit a few years back and they did an all you can eat breakfast, A lot of builders, sparks etc were staying there too. At breakfast you'd see lads having a massive fry and then go up for more and load it into their lunch boxes. I know technically not stealing but taking the piss a bit :)

I also know someone who left a hotel with a new double quilt, 4 new pillows, a universal remote and 3 energy saving bulbs, and because he paid in cash they never came after him either.

Isnt the Ibis an asylum centre now? Like the Clondalkin Tower Hotel?

I thought it was only partially open to the public - along with the bar area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭davetherave

Free shower curtain!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles-old

I stole a pillow from a hotel in temple bar. It was just so comfy.

I've just woken my boyfriend up I'm laughing so hard. I love this thread.
    'You're expected to take anything that's not nailed down' brilliant :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Neadine

In my 'vast' experience hotel toiletries tend to be of rather poor quality, unless they happe to be Molton Brown, and for that reason I never bother with them, unless they happen to be Molton Brown (or a hotel in the Middle East that had a really fantastic conditioner).
    So, the people who take the toiletries home, I have no issue with it, do you ever actually use the stuff after?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Amprodude

El Spearo wrote: »
    Going to a hotel next week, and was just looking on their site and happened to spot they seem to have nice shampoos and stuff in the pics. (I know this is desperate but I'm being honest, this is how it clicked with me)

So do you take them when you're there?
    Do hotels kind of expect them to be taken?
    Is this factored into the cost when you pay?

Whats the AH opinions on this?

Another poster affected by the recession.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I take the shampoo and soap. If there is some tea bags, I'll take those. I once took a box of tissues and roll of bog paper. I'll pluck up the courage to take the coffee maker, hair dryer, lamp and maybe the complimentary LCD TV. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

El Spearo wrote: »
    Going to a hotel next week, and was just looking on their site and happened to spot they seem to have nice shampoos and stuff in the pics. (I know this is desperate but I'm being honest, this is how it clicked with me)

So do you take them when you're there?
    Do hotels kind of expect them to be taken?
    Is this factored into the cost when you pay?

Whats the AH opinions on this?

anything that isn't nailed down.
    have fun lad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

solas111 wrote: »
    It’s a question of what you think is right or wrong? In my book, taking the shampoo is stealing so I don’t take it.

Maybe you could put yourself in the shoes of the hotel owner who may be struggling to keep the place open. How would you then feel about people who take stuff from the rooms?

What are you talking about? At most hotels, not only are they fine with you taking them, you can ask for extras and they will bring them up for you. I have long hair and dry skin, so I always ask for extra conditioner and lotion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

solas111 wrote: »

You're joking aren't you?? Those products are part of the running costs of the room. They supply enough for anticipated usage for the duration of the stay

I always take the shampoo and soaps left there. I usually only stay in a hotel with a leisure centre, so I toss them in to my gear bag. They are handy when you run out of your usual stuff

Shower caps and conditioner; I never use them, so I never take them.

Coffee sachets/tea bags; Never touch them. I usually bring a small jar of my favourite coffee and get a small carton of milk to use in the room.

Slippers; Not a slipper man, so I never touch them.

Pens/Pencils; If I don't have a pen in my pocket, I'll take it

Towels; They are part of the fixtures and fittings of the room, so taking them would be stealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭mconigol

God what is it with people. You can afford to stay in a hotel but can't splash out a euro for some shampoo :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jester144

When I was younger we went on holiday, and there was a fancy dress competition in the hotel.

My father stole the mop from the cleaner's trolley to thread through my shirt (I was a scarecrow).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,987 ✭✭✭Legs.Eleven

If they've anything interesting, I'll take it. Got meself a snazzy wood cuticle pusher-backer yokedy bob there a few months ago. Shampoos and conditioners are usually crap, so I don't bother. I've never taken the big stuff.

No money in miniature shampoos. Trouser pressers is where it's at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I was staying in a hotel not too long ago and they had Pro Terra soap bars.
    Stole those in a flash, great soap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭JCDUB

I recently stayed in the Tune hotel in Edinburgh.

Everything was extra, above and beyond the cost of the room. And I mean everything....

Towels, TV, aircon, even shampoos and stuff I believe. Sure we had to pay to leave our bags there as we arrived before check in time, or we could pay an extra £5 per hour early we wanted to check in!!

And the best thing was the receptionist sold it to us as their concept, like it was a good thing!!

Needless to say, anything that wasn't nailed down is now safely residing in my home.

Never, ever, ever again...

BTW it was booked through bookings.com by somebody else, and we got everything included, but my jaysus, what a horrible set-up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I was staying in a hotel a while ago and they had a catalogue of things in your room you could buy, including the bed, mattresses, pillows, matress toppers, etc.

Now admitedly it was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in so maybe they had people asking all the time ... where can I buy that experience to take home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭ado100

I think the general rule is that it is acceptable to take anything with the hotel's name on it.

Even The Four Season's Jaguar? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Wouldn't leave without them - if the cleaner leaves her cart unattended in the hall i could take dozens of them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

If it has the hotels name on it its the hotels property and its theft.
    I'm doing hospitality and tourism in college and this has come up a bit, technically its theft. Hotels do expect it to happen yes but they dont give you it. Its not factored into the price per say but I wouldnt be surprised if it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Poochie05 wrote: »
    I was staying in a hotel a while ago and they had a catalogue of things in your room you could buy, including the bed, mattresses, pillows, matress toppers, etc.

Now admitedly it was one of the most comfortable beds I've ever slept in so maybe they had people asking all the time ... where can I buy that experience to take home!

Where was this? I always wondered where I could get myself a proper matress like they have in the hotels, Had some of my best nights sleep in a hotel :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Afollower

Friend of mine once helped herself to a complete set of cutlery from hotel - 6 forks, 6 spoons, etc. Really good quality stuff too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,281 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

When on duty, we normally stay at 4 or 5* hotels, so the toiletries are good, I hate using a bar of soap for one shower and leaving it there, same with shampoo etc, so i take them, this is my version of recycling!

smurfjed

• Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

I am studying Hospitality Management and we have studied a module called rooms division for the last four semesters.
    Most 4 and 5 star properties allow about 15-20 euro to turn around a room. This includes paying for the linen and towels to be cleaned, biro's in the rooms etc.
    The shampoo etc is there for you to use in the first place so they don't mind you taking them you have technically payed for the shampoo, shower gel/hat when you payed for your room.
    When it comes to robes and slippers. Robes are simply laundered and if the slippers are used they are thrown out for hygiene reasons. Lots of hotels now put a tag on the gown saying you you would like to purchase this robe please contact reception. However if the guest still takes the robe there isn't much the hotel can do because at the end of the day its the customers word against there's and they can't prove it was actually in the room. Another measure taken by hotels now is they dye the robe a grey colour to make it less attractive to quests.
    Thefts of towels/linen/robes etc do cost hotels lots money because they have to replace whats stolen.
    P.S Never use/steel glasses in hotel bathrooms because often the towel used to clean them cleaned the floor/shower/bath/ Toilet seat in the rooms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I take anything that isnt nailed down tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

kryogen wrote: »
    I take anything that isnt nailed down tbh

The hotel staff aren't nailed down, do you take the hotel staff? Actually please don't answer that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I've never stayed in a hotel :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Pinewoo

I've never stayed in a hotel :(

Has a hotel ever stayed in you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

No. Cant be ar$ed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Poochie05 wrote: »

Where was this? I always wondered where I could get myself a proper matress like they have in the hotels, Had some of my best nights sleep in a hotel :)

In the US, the Doubletree does this - I think they are the ones who started the whole 'pillowtop mattress' craze.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 192 ✭✭will.i.am

In the US, the Doubletree does this - I think they are the ones who started the whole 'pillowtop mattress' craze.

The Hilton also does this!

http://www.hiltontohome.com/index.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

People who steal anything from hotels, be it shampoo, towels or whatever, are fcuking sad individuals. Not to mention thieves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Are you sure they're small now, or was the camera man not just standing far away?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Staying in hotel tonight.

*** taking notes on what might fall into my bag ***

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

You are supposed to take the mini shampoos home with you. They can't give a half used bottle to the next guest.

Anything else though (robes/towels) is outright stealing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I always take the little sewing kits and shoe shiners. They are so handy.
    I take the pen too, and actually judge a hotel if it only gives scabby pencils. But I steal pens from everywhere, not just hotels!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I always take the little sewing kits and shoe shiners. They are so handy.
    I take the pen too, and actually judge a hotel if it only gives scabby pencils. But I steal pens from everywhere, not just hotels!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Brought back a blanket from a Spanish hotel one year, nicest blanket I ever slept in and still have it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I'll tell you what I do with the shampoo, conditioner, shower gel etc that the hotel provides in the room . . .

. . . each day I get up, whistle merrily to the bathroom and I wash myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Sofitel in Brussels, they even had a pillow menu to choose from!

http://eu.soboutique.com/category.aspx?THE-ART-OF-BED

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Sir montygom

I always take the batteries out of the remote for the tv when leaving hotels, you could always do with a few spare AAA's at home....have taken the odd toilet seat from time to time from hotel.;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement