Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Waterford

Options
  • 19-04-2013 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Greetings! I am an American being asked by my employer to take a two year assignment in Waterford. I've got a family, wife and three kids all under ten years old (the kids, I mean). I'm looking for advice on neighborhoods to consider, as well as schools. With the package I'm being offered, I'll have a bit of money to spend on rent, so I'd really like to hear about the nice areas.

With respect to the schools, we're Catholic, but I don't have a strong preference for religious schools, just somewhere that has a community built around it, that might make it easy for my wife and kids to make friends.

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I can't really help you with schools, but I'm guess most people would agree that the Dunmore road area starting from the People's Park out is probably the nicest part of the city to live in (I know I'd like to live there personally). That being said there are plenty of other nice areas but that's the one that springs to mind. Tramore might also be an option, small seaside town about 10 minutes from Waterford City.

Not sure if you've searched this forum already but there's been a few threads about moving to Waterford in the past, so they might be worth a read too if you haven't already, although you might need to filter the Spankmemunkey posts :P )

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78485465

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74582244

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=70252180

Best of luck with whatever you decide!

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

You can't go far wrong living on the Dunmore road,
    I send my son to Scoil Lorcain in Johns park, very good primary school that has had recent investment so it's modern and very well kept.
    Plenty of good sporting activities in the city to keep them occupied, my boy plays soccer with Villa FC they are great with the kids.
    Waterford is struggling economically but there is a lot of local business people working hard on different projects attempting to raise the profile of the city.
    All I can say is welcome to Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

+100 for Dunmore Road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mangeybear, welcome to Waterford. My wife and I also relocated to Waterford City and were in the same boat as you. We live on the Dunmore road and cannot recommend it enough. Has access to all of the facilities you will need i.e Shops, pubs restaurants, sports clubs etc. Schools - we're not at that stage yet, but there is a primary school close to Dunmore road in Ballygunnar. Theres lots of sports clubs in the vicinity too Ballygunnar GAA, Waterpark rugby club, Dunmore Badminton Club(i'm a member, so if you interested i can tell you more) St Annes tennis club, a couple of golf clubs..don't know about a soccer club but maybe other could help.

Glad to see you're not taking the oul Monkey too seriously....rarely has anything good to say about the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭roxyworldgirl

Just to give you another option : slieverue area is a nice friendly area to grow up in ... Village community and good schools for your children
    But still within five minutes of the town ...
    I grew up on the dunmore road but feel its become overcrowded in the last 6 years or so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 444 ✭✭Minister

South Kilkenny may be worth a look. There are some nice houses in the Kilmacow/Mooncoin/Mullinavat areas that can be bought at value and would hold their price for your stay - should you decide to sell in two years - as well as some nice houses to rent.

South Kilkenny is nice and it easy access to Waterford, Kilkenny City, Shannon, Dublin, M9 motorway, 'touristy' attractions and N24/N25 main routes. Also it is out the country so it is super for kids and a lot goes on in local areas for families. You would be fine.

Forget about those who post concerning Kilkenny versus Waterford rhetoric. The most important thing is 'Welcome to the area', good luck and enjoy it.

There is one large house in the Mullinavat area that is for rent.....however, I am told it costs a fortune to keep warm. You will see it on www.daft.ie.

You will fit in to any community once you are friendly and cheery to your neighbours. Most people everywhere are good.

Please feel free to PM if you wish. I am a forty something male professional with three kids from 16 down to 11 if I can be of any assistance.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭blankAs

Have you considered tramore, some seaside living!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

You'd be better off living in Dungarvan. One of the best places to live in Ireland:

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/westport-pips-killarney-to-top-list-of-irelands-favourite-towns-28818790.html

Only a very short commute and great schools and communities. I moved from Waterford years ago and am so glad I did. Send me a PM if you need to know anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭b0ardsUser

Nypd wrote: »
    I send my son to Scoil Lorcain in Johns park, very good primary school that has had recent investment so it's modern and very well kept.

I wouldn't dream of sending a child to Scoil Lorcain while that excuse of a principal is still there.

I would suggest sending the child to St. Declans primary school opposite the Peoples park.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 mangeybear

Wow, what nice feedback! I might PM some of you as we get closer, but for now, just a few questions for the group:

1. I'm having trouble understanding the school funding. If I pay taxes, are the schools free? Whether they are religious or not?

2. Anyone give me an idea of the costs of private healthcare? I'm not a snob about it, but would like to know what it costs.

3. Where do people shop for clothes? What's the equivalent of a Marks and Spencer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭mickyellow

mangeybear wrote: »
    Wow, what nice feedback! I might PM some of you as we get closer, but for now, just a few questions for the group:

1. I'm having trouble understanding the school funding. If I pay taxes, are the schools free? Whether they are religious or not?

2. Anyone give me an idea of the costs of private healthcare? I'm not a snob about it, but would like to know what it costs.

3. Where do people shop for clothes? What's the equivalent of a Marks and Spencer?

1. schools are free. you could send your child to a private school and pay up to 7/8K per annum. unsure of private schools in the Waterford area. The majority of children in Ireland attend the public school system.

2. Private Medical Insurance varies. check www.vhi.ie or one of their competitors.

3. Regarding shopping for clothes etc, Waterford has a good choice. http://www.city-square.ie/ or http://www.waterfordireland.ie/shopping

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Majority of Schools are free for the most part, you'll have to of course pay for books, school uniforms (if the school requires them), and any extra activities such as swimming lessons that the school may organise, sporting gear etc which is all pretty normal.

Most schools look for some sort of "voluntary" fee at the start of each school year and this can vary alot from say 30e to 100 euro. This fee is used towards photocopying etc in the school towards classes.

You may find this helpful, it also lists all private health care providers in Ireland
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/health_insurance/private_health_insurance.html

Compared to the USA health insurance is far far cheaper in Ireland. Even use of public health care is cheaper....for example if you go to Accident & Emergency (ER) you pay a flat rate fee of 120 euro regardless of if you have to get a broken arm fixed or get some stitches for a very bad cut.

Further charges can apply if you have to stay over night though..

A visit to a local doctor (GP) costs in the region of 50-60euro per visit.

Plenty of shops around Waterford and the South East region to choose from
    As well as the links given for Waterford there's also for example Kilkenny (just a 30min drive) - http://www.kilkennyshopping.com/

So between all the places you can shop you'll be sorted for clothes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

I would second this.

But I'd look at Dunmore East as well. Tramore's got a good surfing community which might appeal to your kids but Dunmore East is a traditional fishing community with a nice beach. Both are a very easy commute to City.
    Scale wise you'll probably find Ireland easy to get around. There's a motorway to Dublin - you get there in under 2 hours.
    blankAs wrote: »
    Have you considered tramore, some seaside living!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Taken from a similar thread:
    Hello, everyone!

This is a very interesting thread, and I simply felt compelled to give my own input; not for the sake of doing so, but to helpfully give Sarah a better perspective on the life decision that she and her husband would like to take.
    I hope you read our posts, and hope you make the best decision for yourself. I wish you only the best of luck.

Myself, I have been living in Waterford City for the last eight years. Prior to that, I resided in South Amboy, New Jersey, a busy outpost of New York City. Before that, I got to experience a rural existence in a backwards Iowa farming town. And even further back than that, I spent my childhood in the second largest city of a Soviet Bloc nation. Apart from these, I got to witness many other places, and I feel enriched by my experiences.

Allow me to side with those on here who regard Waterford in a negative light. While it has, after these eight long years, granted me with a home and livelihood and many happy moments, it is still the worst place I have seen; no exaggeration.

You obviously want the nice things in life. There are many places in the world that will offer them to you and it is a good reason to move somewhere to find a good home, but I don't doubt for a second that Waterford isn't the right place. Let me list:

-Crime rate might be on par to other places, but why would an average crime rate attract anyone? I do not consider Waterford City safe, and it is becoming increasing difficult to avoid confrontation, harassment, and physical assault. I try to give to my community as much as possible, and I have not been able to avoid these things myself.

-Shopping is abysmal. Anything that is available is from last season or from previous lines. This includes electronics. If you want to stay behind the trends, be my guest and enjoy Waterford's fine shopping.

-Public transport might be fair, but is, just like most other things, becoming overpriced. As well as this, it does often happen that walking becomes a faster mode of transport. And, again, buses do seem to have a dangerous appeal as young men with nothing better to do seem to ride them for the sole purpose of looking for attention.

-Which brings me to this point; the people. While some may be warm and welcoming, most are just like the poor, bleak weather, which, while not the worst in the country, it is by far not the best you could hope for. The general public is cold, alienated, and detached, and extremely unreasonable and demanding if you work in the service industry, and won't help you if you are in need in my experience. Even after eight years and many acquaintances, I am not fully accepted by everyone.

-Best of all, many of these people you encounter will probably spend their evenings the only way available here. Conglomerating around the sweaty intersection of the few clubs and miserable, 'drown-your-sorrows' pubs we have. It is a view to behold as, at closing time, disorientated men and women pour onto the streets in a frenzy of sound and vomit, arguing, and desperate chasing of the hint of possibility of 'hooking up'; think MTV's Jersey Shore style but plethora of times sadder to look at.

-The streets are dirty, with locals having zero respect for throwing their garbage and cigarette butts on the pavement. It is a shabby excuse for a clean place to live.

-Also very concerning, the general state of the economy is poor, and finding a job is hard. I know places where this is worse than here, but I am uncertain of how much of an ordeal it might be for a complete outsider to pursue employment.

-I could keep going on, and on, and on, but for the time being, I will give one more, and possibly the most important example of why not to move here. If you have children, or ever plan on it, I will plead you not to consider Ireland. Let the abuse from the locals come at me, but I will say that the school system in this country is worse than that of a third world nation. If you bring up a child here, he or she is bound to become just like the locals are, and I would pity that. Children are not taught respect by the system. They are neglected and abandoned to fend for themselves. Which, sadly, leads to them using drugs, which are available to most with little to no effort. You can pretty much find drugs faster than a job, you might say. I am not saying every child is doing this, but it seems awfully widespread, far too much to make this city a place where I would consider raising a child.

If you agree or disagree with me, let me know, I do find everyone's posts here quite interesting.
    Just out of curiosity, can anyone say that Waterford City is the best place to be in? Ever?
    Sarah, I can think of many places where I would be much, much happier, and I'm certain that you can, too. Best of luck, and I hope your decision brings you joy.

Farewell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Nonsense ^
    His post is far too pessimistic. Looks for everything and anything wrong with Waterford and amplifies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Goodness, what a very sad post. (the quoted post) If you have been sent to Waterford for your work there is not much point in saying you would be better off living in Galway!

Waterford has been very badly hammered by job losses, but on the other hand the City council are doing great work trying to make improvements, and succeeding, and opening new museums, there is a theatre, a good cinema and some decent restaurants.

Where you live does depend a little bit on where you will be working. Commuting down the Dunmore Road could be a bit of a nightmare as it can be slow during rush hours. There is some very nice housing etc around there though.

I live in Tramore which is a bit of a dormitory town for Waterford, but I like it as a place to live, I am near the middle of the town and it is both safe and peaceful. If you are going to the west side of Waterford to work it would be easier for commuting.

There is a lovely coastline, mountains and countryside within half an hour of Waterford city and in the south east generally lots of places to visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

i never saw any posts by that die hard pessimist (xRevo Lucien)on here before, trolling? i find it pathetic either way. Sure there is unemployment and the weather aint great but sure you could say that about any place in Ireland. im sure the streets of New Jersey are spotless and everyone has a welcoming smile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭seven_eleven

Max Powers wrote: »
    i never saw any posts by that die hard pessimist (xRevo Lucien)on here before, trolling? i find it pathetic either way. Sure there is unemployment and the weather aint great but sure you could say that about any place in Ireland. im sure the streets of New Jersey are spotless and everyone has a welcoming smile.

Its a post from last year some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Greetings! I am an American being asked by my employer to take a two year assignment in Waterford. I've got a family, wife and three kids all under ten years old (the kids, I mean). I'm looking for advice on neighborhoods to consider, as well as schools. With the package I'm being offered, I'll have a bit of money to spend on rent, so I'd really like to hear about the nice areas.

With respect to the schools, we're Catholic, but I don't have a strong preference for religious schools, just somewhere that has a community built around it, that might make it easy for my wife and kids to make friends.

Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

move to dungarvan.....you wont regret it!!!

• Advertisement

Nonsense ^
    His post is far too pessimistic. Looks for everything and anything wrong with Waterford and amplifies it.

I'd love to agree with you but there's very little that's not accurate in what was written.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Funfair

Ericaa wrote: »
    Originally Posted by x.revoLucian viewpost.gif
    Hello, everyone!

Myself, I have been living in Waterford City for the last eight years. Prior to that, I resided in South Amboy, New Jersey, a busy outpost of New York City. Before that, I got to experience a rural existence in a backwards Iowa farming town. And even further back than that, I spent my childhood in the second largest city of a Soviet Bloc nation. Apart from these, I got to witness many other places, and I feel enriched by my experiences. In other words your a Pensioner

Allow me to side with those on here who regard Waterford in a negative light. While it has, after these eight long years, granted me with a home and livelihood and many happy moments, it is still the worst place I have seen; no exaggeration. Each to their own I suppose

You obviously want the nice things in life. There are many places in the world that will offer them to you and it is a good reason to move somewhere to find a good home, but I don't doubt for a second that Waterford isn't the right place. Let me list:

-Crime rate might be on par to other places, but why would an average crime rate attract anyone? I do not consider Waterford City safe, and it is becoming increasing difficult to avoid confrontation, harassment, and physical assault. I try to give to my community as much as possible, and I have not been able to avoid these things myself. Reading what your writing here I'm guessing you like Confrontation

-Shopping is abysmal. Anything that is available is from last season or from previous lines. This includes electronics. If you want to stay behind the trends, be my guest and enjoy Waterford's fine shopping.

Most kids I know have Iphones, Xbox, playstation with the latest games so where your getting the above from is anyone's guess

-Public transport might be fair, but is, just like most other things, becoming overpriced. As well as this, it does often happen that walking becomes a faster mode of transport. And, again, buses do seem to have a dangerous appeal as young men with nothing better to do seem to ride them for the sole purpose of looking for attention.

Bus prices I'm guessing is somewhere between €1.50 and €3.00 for local stops which is hardly over priced. As with the attention seeking kids you seem to have a habit of attracting confrontation.

-Which brings me to this point; the people. While some may be warm and welcoming, most are just like the poor, bleak weather, which, while not the worst in the country, it is by far not the best you could hope for. The general public is cold, alienated, and detached, and extremely unreasonable and demanding if you work in the service industry, and won't help you if you are in need in my experience. Even after eight years and many acquaintances, I am not fully accepted by everyone. I can see why..

-Best of all, many of these people you encounter will probably spend their evenings the only way available here. Conglomerating around the sweaty intersection of the few clubs and miserable, 'drown-your-sorrows' pubs we have. It is a view to behold as, at closing time, disorientated men and women pour onto the streets in a frenzy of sound and vomit, arguing, and desperate chasing of the hint of possibility of 'hooking up'; think MTV's Jersey Shore style but plethora of times sadder to look at. I'm guessing you work in Abrakebabra and have to put up with the drunk idiots that come in at 2am to come out with the above statement

-The streets are dirty, with locals having zero respect for throwing their garbage and cigarette butts on the pavement. It is a shabby excuse for a clean place to live.
    Total crap I work early mornings and see the streets being cleaned and even power-washed at the intersection you mentioned above. The city might not appeal to everyone but dirty it's not.

-Also very concerning, the general state of the economy is poor, and finding a job is hard. I know places where this is worse than here, but I am uncertain of how much of an ordeal it might be for a complete outsider to pursue employment.

Your not being victimised here as the same applies to everyone not just so called outsiders

-I could keep going on, and on, and on, but for the time being, I will give one more, and possibly the most important example of why not to move here. If you have children, or ever plan on it, I will plead you not to consider Ireland. Let the abuse from the locals come at me, but I will say that the school system in this country is worse than that of a third world nation. If you bring up a child here, he or she is bound to become just like the locals are, and I would pity that. Children are not taught respect by the system. They are neglected and abandoned to fend for themselves. Which, sadly, leads to them using drugs, which are available to most with little to no effort. You can pretty much find drugs faster than a job, you might say. I am not saying every child is doing this, but it seems awfully widespread, far too much to make this city a place where I would consider raising a child.

Would you prefer they grew up like yourself i.e. miserable and sad? Our schools are the most modern in Europe and our education system is also on par with our neighbours in the UK.

If you agree or disagree with me, let me know, I do find everyone's posts here quite interesting.
    Just out of curiosity, can anyone say that Waterford City is the best place to be in? Ever? I can think of many places I'd rather live but if you asked the local in any city he also could name a few he'd rather live. The grass always looks greener on the other side...

Farewell.:

Goodluck

• Registered Users Posts: 9,189 ✭✭✭kensutz

Taken from a similar thread:

And instead of quoting a post that very few people have seen, why not give your own opinion? :rolleyes:

kensutz wrote: »
    And instead of quoting a post that very few people have seen, why not give your own opinion? :rolleyes:

Was it not a good idea to post the thoughts of an American who had moved to Waterford on what he thought of the place. Especially seeing as a fellow American wanted to know about the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Ericaa

Max Powers wrote: »
    No, he's definitely not a troll.
    kensutz wrote: »
    Well, as duinegorm pointed out, it seemed like a good idea to post the thoughts of someone who has lived in America.
    As for my own opinion, it almost matches his word for word.
    Funfair wrote: »
    Goodluck
    It's funny how assuming you're being, if you knew this person, you'd be shocked at how wrong you are.

No, he's definitely not a troll.

Well, as duinegorm pointed out, it seemed like a good idea to post the thoughts of someone who has lived in America.
    As for my own opinion, it almost matches his word for word.

It's funny how assuming you're being, if you knew this person, you'd be shocked at how wrong you are.

The OP isn't asking should they move to Waterford! They're moving here for work regardless and they were asking where in Waterford they should move to. You're completely missing the point with the quoted post from x.revoLucian!

johnnykilo wrote: »
    The OP isn't asking should they move to Waterford! They're moving here for work regardless and they were asking where in Waterford they should move to. You're completely missing the point with the quoted post from x.revoLucian!

He doesn't have to live in Waterford City. He can live outside it and have a short commute. Your completely missing the point that there is more to Waterford than it's city and there was nothing wrong with someone giving the opinion that they thought it was best avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

Shame on you Mangeybear for looking for help.

Another thread ends in chaos.

Shame on you Mangeybear for looking for help.

Another thread ends in chaos.

It's not exactly "chaos" to be fair. Bit of an over reaction to a bit of debate.

• Advertisement

I never suggested the OP couldn't live outside Waterford, if you look at my first post in this thread I actually suggested Tramore as an option!

If you look at the context of the thread in which x.revoLucian made the original statement, he was advising people to choose another city in Ireland apart from Waterford. As already stated the OP will be at least working in Waterford so I'm guessing they're not going to want to commute from Cork, Galway or Dublin every day.

Anyway I doubt moving to Tramore, Dungarvan or somewhere in South Kilkenny is drastically going to fix the issues raised by x.revoLucian. I don't think any of those places have radically different crime rates, better shopping than Waterford, improved and cheaper public transport, more nightlife options etc...

Advertisement