Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Auckland / Wages

• 19-04-2013 1:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Heading to Auckland in June for a year. Have the option to transfer with my current company but have obviously heard that Auckland is really expensive. Im living in Sydney at the moment with my girlfriend and paying $520 a week for a one bedroom apartment.

Wages will be roughly 55k. The girlfriend has a fairly good job so she will be on the same or more. Dont think we are going to be rolling in it and going home in a year with 30k savings but we should be able to live comfortably on this right?

Auckland could not possibly be any more expensive than Sydney..Can it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Auckland, while expensive, is definitely not more expensive than Sydney and if you are earning 55K and the gf earning too, you will be very comfortable here. Tax rates are lower here. I also did the move from OZ with my company on the same dollar wage but came out with more every month :)
    Im renting a one bed place for $395 a week in Grafton/Newmarket "Trendy" ish area in Auckland (2k to city, great amenities) and to me thats the mid-higher end what you'll pay. For $520, you could get a nice 2 bed place....if you want. Depends where you want to live of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Tax rates are lower here. I also did the move from OZ with my company on the same dollar wage but came out with more every month :)

Same dollar wage, as in AUD 55k to NZD 55k? Or the equivalent in dollars, AUD45k to NZD $55k? Its said that NZD Income tax only becomes competitive vs Oz over $100k mark, looking at the equivalent salary (benchmarked to AUD $45k which is NZD $55k), your take home pay should be higher in Oz?
    Net Pay after Income Tax on AUD $45k:
    $38478.00
    per month:
    $3206.50
    per week:
    $739.96
    vs
    Net Pay After Income Tax on NZD $55k:
    $44767 (AUD $36.6k)
    per month:
    $3647 (AUD $2982)
    per week:
    $839 (AUD $686)

Although it doesnt apply to you, a salary report done early this year shows Oz salaries are on average 26% higher (on top of the tax being more favourable). VAT is also higher (by 50%, ie 15%) in Nz vs Oz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

520 a week for a 1 bedroom apartment, thats sick :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Same dollar wage, as in AUD 55k to NZD 55k? Or the equivalent in dollars, AUD45k to NZD $55k? Its said that NZD Income tax only becomes competitive vs Oz over $100k mark, looking at the equivalent salary (benchmarked to AUD $45k which is NZD $55k), your take home pay should be higher in Oz?

"55K Oz to 55K NZ"....it was a hard decision to make...generally day to day i am better off but for any cash i want to send home... a little less off.
    Also...just remembered I was paying super in OZ. That was 9%. Not paying that here.
    Its been a while now so cant fully remember, i just know i have more disposable income in NZ.

Agree with Gringo aswell...$520?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

I'm paying 550 a week for a 3-bed detached house with huge gardens in 3 Kings, Auckland. And I hear the rents are coming down too.

Check trademe for more info:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/property

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

We're paying $900-ish for a 4 bed in Parnell. But that is covering our internet and power bill too. Water is extra.
    All good sized rooms, one has it own bathroom and shower facilites. Double garage and two small decks on either side.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Undertow

Hi guys,

Dont mean to hijack the thread but I'm heading over to NZ in June and torn between working in Auckland or Wellington. Wages will be a factor. I'm a Civil Engineer with 7 years experience- what sort of wage do you think I can expect to earn? My aim is to give things a real go for a year or so and see what I think of it. I've been in Oz for almost 3 years now and looking forward to the change of scenery!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

TradeMe for everything over here mate:
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/jobs/engineering/civil-structural

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,100 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Auckland could not possibly be any more expensive than Sydney..Can it?

In geenral, Auckland = Sydney for beginners.

Can't imagine it being more expensive.

Advertisement