Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The sex myth

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

Czarcasm wrote: »
    To quote Helen Lewis, in her book review of "The Sex Myth" in The New Statesman-

http://www.newstatesman.com/culture/culture/2012/04/review-sex-myth-brooke-magnanti

And check out Ms. Magnati's reply to an e-mail sent to her by another book reviewer here-

http://quietgirlriot.wordpress.com/2012/05/13/bad-science-a-review-of-the-sex-myth-by-brooke-magnanti/

Her "buy into my bullshìt, or go fcuk yourself" attitude to a critique of her work doesn't exactly bode well for her reputation as a "scientist" now, does it?

Scientist my àrse! :pac:

She's highly accomplished in numerous disciplines. What reason do you have to doubt her scientific competence other than her choice of swear words?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've certainly had my ass and balls groped on countless occasions.

That's not including the number of times women have reversed their ass into my crotch to seduce me or glanced the back of their hand off my crotch.

Go on you irresistible divil you!:D

In my own personal experience women can be very touchy feely especially after a few drinks or when in a group. Take hen parties, i've been "assaulted" countless times by them, from just something like having my ass pinched to being seriously groped and stripped. I'd say practically every man above 20 or so has been at some stage. It is very much a double standard. If the genders were reversed you could easily be talking serious criminal charges.
    But i suppose it's a lot less intimidating than the reverse ie a goup of drunken men all pawing at some girl. But that being said, it very much weakens the case of those who carry on like an slap on the ass is every bit as serious as a gang rape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,455 ✭✭✭tritium

It's like saying a doctor doesn't know anything about a particular illness when they would have far more experience and knowledge about the illness than the person who suffers from it. The person who suffers from it only knows what it's like for them, the doctor will have seen far more patients present with the illness and have a much wider background knowledge of the illness.
    that's a fairly poor analogy though- a doctor will spend years in dedicated study of their particular field as a scientific discipline, applying established analytical standards of proof. That's very different to what we see in this context. A doctor will also use the information provided by their patients to derive a diagnosis and treatment- again very different to the scenario here, where the 'patient' is often selectively ignored or dismissed.
    There's too many links I could put here about her agenda, but let me at least present to you an article from thejournal.ie in which she puts forward her agenda-

http://www.thejournal.ie/former-belle-de-jour-concerned-about-irish-sex-workers-legislation-777305-Feb2013/

I'm unclear what this is meant to show? Basically she says that sex workers should have an input into hearings that will directly impact them. What's the issue? She actually specifically says that it would be preferable to get the view of Irish sex workers rather than her own non-local perspective. I don't really see much of an agenda at work here tbh. I dunno, I'm no expert on the woman so maybe you can give a better link...,
    Quite ironic that you should put it that way when Ms. Magnati's career not only depends on people buying into her point of view, but also buying her books that ironically enough are based on bad science, personal opinion, and shìtty statistics while she tries to pass herself off nowadays as a scientist.

As I understand it she has a msc in epidemiology and a phd in forensic science. In those circumstances I think she's entitled to describe herself as a scientist!

Again im not a reader of her work but given the reputation she seems to have garnered with her initial literary work I suspect she could write about poo on a stick for a couple of books and still sell a healthy number of copies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

But that being said, it very much weakens the case of those who carry on like an slap on the ass is every bit as serious as a gang rape.

I don't condone this kind of activity but those who consider it a sexual assault need their head checked to be honest. It's just someone acting the dick.

And hen parties... yea, a million times worse than a group of lads!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭trickymicky

antodeco wrote: »
    That an empty packet of crisps and a hair bobbin is perfect contraception

So when is she due ???:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

smash wrote: »
    I don't condone this kind of activity but those who consider it a sexual assault need their head checked to be honest. It's just someone acting the dick.

From the same guy who objected to the term rape culture, ladies and gentlemen! :rolleyes:

From the same guy who objected to the term rape culture, ladies and gentlemen! :rolleyes:

What's your point here?

You think a pinch on the ass is 'rape culture'?

I think trivialising sexual assault is rape culture.

Exactly what can be done to my body against my will before you'd consider it sexual assault?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

She's highly accomplished in numerous disciplines. What reason do you have to doubt her scientific competence other than her choice of swear words?

The fact that most of her blog (which I've followed for a number of years, and read her books, and watched her interviews), is mostly based around promoting herself and her "sex sells" stories rather than any peer reviewed papers published in any scientific journals. She's peddling myth and personal opinion as if it were scientific fact, mixed in with a few salacious details of her previous sexual history, mixed in with pure myth and fantasy.

She no doubt is highly educated, but a good education doesn't correlate with being a good scientist. There are god botherers who call themselves scientists too, and would be far more qualified than Ms. Magnati. Does that mean we should take their word over Ms. Magnati? Of course not, not without a healthy dose of scepticism, which is why you have to delve further into the background of any research, do your own research so to speak before you form an opinion one way or the other, not just take the first opinion that comes to hand because it agrees with yours.

• Advertisement

The fact that most of her blog (which I've followed for a number of years, and read her books, and watched her interviews), is mostly based around promoting herself and her "sex sells" stories rather than any peer reviewed papers published in any scientific journals. She's peddling myth and personal opinion as if it were scientific fact, mixed in with a few salacious details of her previous sexual history, mixed in with pure myth and fantasy.

She no doubt is highly educated, but a good education doesn't correlate with being a good scientist. There are god botherers who call themselves scientists too, and would be far more qualified than Ms. Magnati. Does that mean we should take their word over Ms. Magnati? Of course not, not without a healthy dose of scepticism, which is why you have to delve further into the background of any research, do your own research so to speak before you form an opinion one way or the other, not just take the first opinion that comes to hand because it agrees with yours.

Who says I agree with everything she says???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    This attitude makes my blood boil. It is precisely this line of thinking that creates a rape culture in our society that manifests in teenage rapists posting photos of their crimes on Facebook, and rape victims taking their own lives because of the stigma attached to them.

How about this for a sex myth- the myth of the rapist hiding down an alley with a knife. Most rapists are known to their victims. Sexual assault does not have to be violent. Having sex with someone who is unconcious or too drunk to give consent is rape. Just because someone has slept with you before or has consented at an earlier time does not give you carte blanche to have sex with them again without obtaining their consent.

The reason that rape and sexual assault is so shockingly underreported is because of the societal attitude that casts aspersions on the victim, as well as the social stigma that comes attached, which filters down through the system to result in the abysmally low conviction rate for rapists.

Like another poster here, I find the one in four statistic low. I would have put it closer to three in four, especially if you take war zones into account. What makes you so sure of yourself as to presume to question the statistic? Most rape survivors don't advertise the fact. Many will only share their story with a handful of trusted confidants. Many more will tell no one. Due in part to having to come up against the kind of attitude displayed by you. Fwiw, I don't think you are a rapist, misogynist or monster, merely a product of our society. I hope that you can be open enough to do a little research in this area, adjust your attitude, then try to change someone else's.

what attitude? said that I find it absurdly high, if it's accurate then it's absolutely shocking, that is why I question it.

I didn't state it as a fact.

cheers for the reply though.

It's much better than any reply I've gotten when I previously asked it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Exactly what can be done to my body against my will before you'd consider it sexual assault?

You are the one trivialising sexual assault by saying that a pinch in the ass qualifies. I think it's an insult to woman who have been sexually assaulted.

I've been groped, had my ass pinched and slapped by women, I've had all the buttons ripped off my shirt by a hen party. Would you say that hen nights are part of a rape culture? Or that they are just drunk, rowdy women being idiots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

saying 1 in 4 means precisely fuck all if you dont say where the sample data was taken. for example, taking it during a war somewhere in a third world country = very high number no doubt, taking your data in the middle of dublin will probably show something else, and like wise somewhere in India probably different again.

stats like this are pretty much useless, and are only collected to further an ajenda :rolleyes:

the ajenda being if it can be 'shown' by stats that sexual assault is so high, then the people making the stats [the organisations which have a part to play in 'fixing' the 'victims'] use this to lobby for more funding to keep themselves in a job and getting funding. apply the same logic to most chariatible 'NGO's too.

nothing after you say no, simple.

Rosy Posy wrote: »
    This attitude makes my blood boil. It is precisely this line of thinking that creates a rape culture in our society that manifests in teenage rapists posting photos of their crimes on Facebook, and rape victims taking their own lives because of the stigma attached to them.

How about this for a sex myth- the myth of the rapist hiding down an alley with a knife. Most rapists are known to their victims. Sexual assault does not have to be violent. Having sex with someone who is unconcious or too drunk to give consent is rape. Just because someone has slept with you before or has consented at an earlier time does not give you carte blanche to have sex with them again without obtaining their consent.

The reason that rape and sexual assault is so shockingly underreported is because of the societal attitude that casts aspersions on the victim, as well as the social stigma that comes attached, which filters down through the system to result in the abysmally low conviction rate for rapists.

Like another poster here, I find the one in four statistic low. I would have put it closer to three in four, especially if you take war zones into account. What makes you so sure of yourself as to presume to question the statistic? Most rape survivors don't advertise the fact. Many will only share their story with a handful of trusted confidants. Many more will tell no one. Due in part to having to come up against the kind of attitude displayed by you. Fwiw, I don't think you are a rapist, misogynist or monster, merely a product of our society. I hope that you can be open enough to do a little research in this area, adjust your attitude, then try to change someone else's.

Wow, where to start. Maybe by pointing out the irony of attacking a poster with a stream of unsubstantiated assertions and then suggesting they do some research. Tell us, why do you think your three in four assertion has any more credibility then the less than one in four the poster implied?

I don't mean this as a dig at you, but the biggest problem in debating issues like this is everyone want their opinion to be fact, and shouts down any dissent. The reality is there are complex reasons for the type of society we have today, and to simplistically throw out terms like rape culture goes nowhere to understanding them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

I was in a pub once where a hen party had scorecards and would hold up a rating for each man who walked passed their table, which was every man in the pub at some stage as they were next the toilets.

Most men got groped or had their arse slapped.

I suppose most people would class it as innocent fun but imagine it was a group of lads on a stag night doing the same to every woman who passed by.

Henlars67 wrote: »
    sexually assaulted
    sexually assaulted
    groped on the street and in crowds, to give you the 'softest' examples
    everything from unwelcome gropings to rape.
    I was groped at the age of 14 by two grown men in a crowd at a concert. I was groped on the stree at the age of 30 by a teenager who ran up behind me and assaulted me.
    slap on the ass
    a pinch on the ass is 'rape culture'?

I'd say the guys trying to reduce sexual assault down to a pinch on the ass are trivialising rape culture.

And a pinch on the ass does indeed qualify, no one has any business laying their hands on another's body in a sexual manner without their consent.
    --Kaiser-- wrote: »
    You are the one trivialising sexual assault by saying that a pinch in the ass qualifies. I think it's an insult to woman who have been sexually assaulted.

I've already said that I've been sexually assaulted several times. Am I insulting myself? Frankly, it doesn't matter what you think.
    I've been groped, had my ass pinched and slapped by women, I've had all the buttons ripped off my shirt by a hen party. Would you say that hen nights are part of a rape culture?

That kind of behaviour is, yes. I'm as disgusted by that kind of behaviour from women as from men.
    Or that they are just drunk, rowdy women being idiots?

If a bunch of men grope me, pinch and slap my bum and rip the buttons off my clothes against my will and without my consent, are they just drunk rowdy men being idiots?

I guess that answers my earlier question of what should be allowed to be done to me before it's considered sexual assault. Thankfully, the law takes my view and not yours.

IM0 wrote: »
    nothing after you say no, simple.

But everything that happens before I say no is fair game?

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

Couldn't have put it any better than this.

Indeed, I bet you couldn't.

• Advertisement

But everything that happens before I say no is fair game?

well by definition, and adding a pinch of troll

Indeed, I bet you couldn't.

Because it makes perfect sense. You are aligning a pinch on the arse with actual rape.

Because it makes perfect sense. You are aligning a pinch on the arse with actual rape.

which is in.fuckin.credible and actually disgusting

No, I'm very clearly aligning sexual assault with sexual assault. You're reducing sexual assault down to 'a pinch on the arse'.

No, I'm very clearly aligning sexual assault with sexual assault. You're reducing sexual assault down to 'a pinch on the arse'.

Tell a rape victim that you got sexually assaulted and then qualify it with "A guy slapped my ass" and see how much sympathy you get. Actually, say it to anyone at all and see how much sympathy you get... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

Who says I agree with everything she says???

I never said you did?

You asked-

I was merely answering your question.

Tell a rape victim that you got sexually assaulted and then qualify it with "A guy slapped my ass" and see how much sympathy you get. Actually, say it to anyone at all and see how much sympathy you get... :rolleyes:

I am a rape victim. And I'm sick to death of men telling me what violations of my bodily integrity I should be putting up with.

I'd say the guys trying to reduce sexual assault down to a pinch on the ass are trivialising rape culture.

And a pinch on the ass does indeed qualify, no one has any business laying their hands on another's body in a sexual manner without their consent.

Shít. I came to work quite happy go lucky this morning, but that was before i realised i'd been the victim of repeated sexual assaults over the last 2 decades.:confused:

There is a very definite distinction between rowdy behaviour and sexual assault - Stevie Wonder can see that. Most people can distinguish between the two and don't overstep the mark, some sickos unfortunately do. But to compare a cheeky pinch on the bum with dragging some poor girl down a lane is patently ridiculous and, as has been noted already, is insulting to those unfortunate enough to have suffered an actual assault

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

What is sexual assault though?
    I'm not talking about the obvious, more that line where it may or may not be.
    If I was out and a guy started feeling me up and slapping my ass etc... I would consider that just some drunk gobsh1te acting like a d1ck, and I'd just move away from him.
    But if he did the exact same thing to another girl, she may feel that to be sexual assault.
    Does your subjective perspective make it sexual assault?
    Same for harassment in the workplace etc...

Oh and I know far too many girls who have been raped, so I fully believe that statistic of 1 in 4, if not more.

I am a rape victim. And I'm sick to death of men telling me what violations of my bodily integrity I should be putting up with.

I don't believe anyone has told you what to put up with. I also think your experience of being raped has skewed your views of what most would consider trivial things such as a slap on the ass, as one does not lead to the other. Then again, I might as well talk to a wall because I'm a man and clearly you've discounted our views.

Anyway, a fun thread derailed and now getting heated so I'm out.

• Advertisement

Who has said you should put up with a slap on the ass? The simple point being made is its not even anywhere close to rape to put it mildly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

WTF is it about men who think they can just go and slap a womens ass??? I've commented on this before and it pisses me off.

If some guy slapped the future Mrs. Towells ass I'd have ZERO issue pulling him up on his behaviour.

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's completely understandable so why you wouldn't see the funny side of a pinch on the bum or so on. People who haven't been in your position might see it differently though.

Who has said you should put up with a slap on the ass? The simple point being made is its not even anywhere close to rape to put it mildly.

Which is why I (repeatedly) called it sexual assault. It was smash who tried to put words in my mouth by saying that I aligned it with rape.

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's completely understandable so why you wouldn't see the funny side of a pinch on the bum or so on. People who haven't been in your position might see it differently though.

Yep, which is why it's best to err on the side of caution and not touch strangers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Which is why I (repeatedly) called it sexual assault. It was smash who tried to put words in my mouth by saying that I aligned it with rape.

If I slapped you in the face would that be sexual assault?

What about the chest?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

WTF is it about men who think they can just go and slap a womens ass??? I've commented on this before and it pisses me off.

You could say the same about women who do it to men. They're just idiots, and gender isn't a factor in their idiocy.

Uriel. wrote: »
    If I slapped you in the face would that be sexual assault?

What about the chest?

No, that's assault. Do you really need this explained to you?

If some guy slapped the future Mrs. Towells ass I'd have ZERO issue pulling him up on his behaviour.

I'm assuming you'd be equally quick to pull up any woman who slapped one of your male friends on the ass?

• Advertisement

Clearly you did... Rape Culture!

Clearly you did... Rape Culture!

You hate the term but you don't know what it means. Alright then.

Yep, which is why it's best to err on the side of caution and not touch strangers.

Well I certainly wouldn't think it's wrong for anyone to tap me on the arm to get my attention. I assume you don't have an issue with that.

You hate the term but you don't know what it means. Alright then.
    Rape culture is a concept used to describe a culture in which rape and sexual violence are common and in which prevalent attitudes, norms, practices, and media normalize, excuse, tolerate, or even condone rape.

A slap on the ass IS NOT excusing, tolerating or condoning rape!

Yep, which is why it's best to err on the side of caution and not touch strangers in a sexual manner.

Clearer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Just wanted to say I agree with everything you're saying Lingua :)

• Advertisement

I don't! I think it's a bit sleazy to be honest, i personally would never pinch a strangers bum or anything like that. But i see it all the time, and i've had it done to me countless times and not really minded. In absolute terms it's not that bad a thing to do. I think your experience has clouded your judgement on the issue tbh.

A slap on the ass IS NOT excusing, tolerating or condoning rape!

No.

But it is excusing, tolerating and condoning sexual violence.

Here's some more.
    Examples of Rape Culture:

Blaming the victim (“She asked for it!”)
    Trivializing sexual assault (“Boys will be boys!”)
    Sexually explicit jokes
    Tolerance of sexual harassment
    Inflating false rape report statistics
    Publicly scrutinizing a victim’s dress, mental state, motives, and history
    Gratuitous gendered violence in movies and television
    Defining “manhood” as dominant and sexually aggressive
    Defining “womanhood” as submissive and sexually passive
    Pressure on men to “score”
    Pressure on women to not appear “cold”
    Assuming only promiscuous women get raped
    Assuming that men don’t get raped or that only “weak” men get raped
    Refusing to take rape accusations seriously
    Teaching women to avoid getting raped instead of teaching men not to rape

Clearer?

so what about if they have a fetish for elbows? then thats sexual assault is it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I don't! I think it's a bit sleazy to be honest, i personally would never pinch a strangers bum or anything like that. But i see it all the time, and i've had it done to me countless times and not really minded. In absolute terms it's not that bad a thing to do. I think your experience has clouded your judgement on the issue tbh.

Why does this always happen?

When someone talks about the relationship between unwanted sexual touching and rape culture they are told that saying such things is trivializing actual rape.
    When the same person then says they themselves have been raped, then the dismissal switches to them being a damaged person who naturally has a skewed attitude to such matters.

It really is heads I win, tails you lose, isn't it?

No.

But it is excusing, tolerating and condoning sexual violence.
    Violence? If someone slapped your back is it violence? Only if you want it to be...
    Here's some more.
    Why did you highlight: Trivializing sexual assault (“Boys will be boys!”) there? Every man here has said they've had women do it to them!
    Tolerance of sexual harassment
    "Sexual harassment refers to persistent and unwanted sexual advances"
    A slap in jest is generally not persistent. If it was persistent then it's a different matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement