Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 9 - "Hide"

Options
  • 19-04-2013 8:19am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, so watching the previews for this Saturdays shenanigans, I'm now wondering if the 'Lost TARDIS' from last week is still in play here; the costumes and tech looks distinctly 1970-1980s, so I'm wondering if Clara & the Doctor are still without the TARDIS; that this is one of their stopovers on the way to the South Pole...

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Eeee! Excited about tonight's. I've only been watching the Next Time trailers, but I made the mistake of going over to the official site to have a look at the posters and saw a load of spoilery stills.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Time traveller stuck in another dimension...female...I'm guessing River...

Is this not on til 645

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

bluewolf wrote: »
    Is this not on til 645

Nope :(
    IM FED UP WAITING!!! :mad::mad:

I was all excited thinking it was 6 or 615
    lame

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

That was creepier than most horror films I've seen recently.

That was creepier than most horror films I've seen recently.

It really was :eek:

It was great though
    Continuing the mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Bit of a mixed bag all in all. I liked the 70's setting (and production details), and I liked Clara standing up to the Doctor a little.
    Her calling the TARDIS projection a "cow" was classic

Otherwise, the story itself seemed a little choppy, though I appreciated the concept was relatively original for DW though, which is always refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Liked the idea but overall found it very meh. Enjoyed the scene between Clara and the empath psychic and the scenes where Clara talked to the Doctor about how she was a ghost to him. Was disappointed when the second Clara was just the TARDIS interface, thought we were getting somewhere with the mystery but no. I'm not sure why but I also enjoyed the scene between the Doctor and the empath when he was askinh about Clara. Him telling Clara they're going somewhere for one reason when really it's to find out who she seems pretty manipulative to me. Makes me wonder if, as others suggested last week, he put her in danger on purpose to see how she would react.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Loved that I have to say. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It was fairly good - nice supporting actors, reasonable if choppy plot and the continuing question of why the Tardis likes not the new companion. As for scary, no where near the levels of Rory/Amy when they were dealing with the Silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Thumbs up from me. A simple story which had great acting in it all round.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Much much better this week!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭8mv

Ginny wrote: »
    Much much better this week!

Agreed. I missed last weeks and didn't make any great effort to catch up. This was certainly better than the first two. Jessica Raine and Dougray Scott were excellent in their roles and the story was good. I did think the tardis flying effects were verging on Wanderly Wagon territory though.

I think ye might be on to something with the doctor and clara
    "i eh dont carry stuff with me even though on the submarine i clearly do, so YOU give something that's valuable to you"
    and it was a planet with psychic stuff going on
    then he brings her to a psychic lady
    he's on a mission!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Soooo was completely wrong about the whole River thing.

I do like how Clara is slightly different from other companions...isn't always willing to go running into something just because the Doctor suggests it.

Does anyone else think she is also an empath?

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

have to say found it disappointing. felt the doctor was acting peculiarly at times withno explanation.

were some genuine creepy moments and some nice moments between the doctor and clara.

overall, im disappointed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

triseke wrote: »
    have to say found it disappointing. felt the doctor was acting peculiarly at times withno explanation.

totally different episode to the preview given at thr end of last week.

were some genuine creepy moments and some nice moments between the doctor and clara.

overall, im disappointed :(

it's not a different preview you're insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,694 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Am I alone in really liking the massive shift back to practical effects and trick photography?

I just really like the design of the 2 *beings?* in this one and I found as an episode it really moved the larger arc forward without being pushy about it and overriding the episodes own episode.

The lovey dovey between the two investigators wasnt too great though, bit repetitive and somewhat bland. But if next weeks episode is going to take place almost entirely in the tardis then this episode was a must for the grounding it placed on clara's relationship with it and confirming suspicions some had last week about the tardis's odd departure last week was not as the doctor excused but part of something more.

when the dr leaves in the tardis the first time and it pans back to the house with the two people looking for them out the window is that a little girl rather than the woman when the lightening flashes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Him telling Clara they're going somewhere for one reason when really it's to find out who she seems pretty manipulative to me. Makes me wonder if, as others suggested last week, he put her in danger on purpose to see how she would react.

Makes me think to the old-Who, where some of the Doctor's incarnations weren't afraid to manipulate those around him, including his companions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ha; watching a spooky ghost story during the noonday sunshine feels wrong. It was still very atmospheric, and would agree it was spookier than most horror films that come out these days (even if the stock 'thunder crash' sound effect broke the immersion a little, but that's nitpicking).

Generally I enjoyed it though; that's two very strong episodes in the row, between this and Cold War; I enjoyed the Bells of St. John as a throwaway lark mind you. The revelation at the end that the 'monster' was just seeking out its lover felt a bit rushed, but at least the script was clever enough to subvert our assumptions about what it could have been in the first instance. The easy answer would have been some random hand-wavey chronovore or suchlike, although the creature's obviously monstrous design felt like a deliberate, cheeky red herring.

As for the continuing mystery of Clara, I really like the idea of the TARDIS & her not getting on; it's an original idea and perhaps plays into the suggestion that there's something inherently wrong with Clara, temporally-speaking. the TARDIS refusal to go near the pocket universe demonstrates she has a clear allergy towards temporal anomalies, so if she's reluctant to let Clara even enter her (ooh err!), it adds to my own theory that Clara is a modern-day Scarroth.

Either way, the TARDIS becoming more a character in her own right is interesting; the hologram had a definite snarky edge to it, and The Doctor's Wife showed there was potential in giving her a voice, so to speak.
    bradyle wrote: »

That was my initial thought; though I then presumed it was simply a case that Emma was so reliant on her psychic powers that she missed the more obvious & traditional signals being given off by Alec, but were easily spotted by a 'normal' person like Clara.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    Am I alone in really liking the massive shift back to practical effects and trick photography?

Nope, I've enjoyed the FX work in the last couple of episodes - CGI can sometimes feel like the easy or cheap solution, but I think it should only be used if it's utterly necessary; I doubt the sub would have looked so well, or the water as convincing if it were all done with CGI. Last night's story demonstrated that there's no substitute for a little bit of clever editing rathert han rely on some computer tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

Forgot to mention I also like the TARDIS as a character and I do think she dislikes Clara because she knows what Clara is or at least knows that Clara's not normal. I don't see how that hasn't occurred to the Doctor though and why, as well as travelling to the '70s to ask an empath, he hasn't tried asking the TARDIS.

Another thing, surprised Clara didn't bring up 'only mystery worth solving' again. If someone said that to me, time traveler or not, I'd want to know what they meant by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Another thing, surprised Clara didn't bring up 'only mystery worth solving' again. If someone said that to me, time traveler or not, I'd want to know what they meant by it.
    Unless she took it to mean humanity as a whole being a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

I thought Clara was going to put the helmet on and call out to the Doctor and in doing so either rip open a even bigger rift or something else.
    bradyle wrote: »
    Soooo was completely wrong about the whole River thing.

I do like how Clara is slightly different from other companions...isn't always willing to go running into something just because the Doctor suggests it.

It does not look like the Time-Traveller.

ApDERAgl.jpg
    allanb49 wrote: »
    when the dr leaves in the tardis the first time and it pans back to the house with the two people looking for them out the window is that a little girl rather than the woman when the lightening flashes?

As they run into the TARDIS, the Doctor enters without using a key and they it cuts away before he is fully inside.
    Then when it cuts back from Clara the TARDIS door is closed and locked!!!

Did the Doctor lock it or did it lock itself?
    The Doctor does have a look of "oh ****, I need to let Clara in..." when he hears her trying to open the door.

He then runs over and has to unlock both the main lock and the top lock.
    Have we ever seen this lock been used before?

8nl8JRul.png

0jxSGeol.jpg

WIfMeEll.jpg
    Manach wrote: »
    It was fairly good - nice supporting actors, reasonable if choppy plot and the continuing question of why the Tardis likes not the new companion. As for scary, no where near the levels of Rory/Amy when they were dealing with the Silence.

Would of been scarier if we did not see the "beings" clearly in the end.
    BlitzKrieg wrote: »

I just really like the design of the 2 *beings?* in this one and I found as an episode it really moved the larger arc forward without being pushy about it and overriding the episodes own episode.

The lovey dovey between the two investigators wasnt too great though, bit repetitive and somewhat bland. But if next weeks episode is going to take place almost entirely in the tardis then this episode was a must for the grounding it placed on clara's relationship with it and confirming suspicions some had last week about the tardis's odd departure last week was not as the doctor excused but part of something more.

Edit:

Watching it slowed down to grab the screen shots I notice he only raises his hand but does not need to unlock the top lock.

pwXc36Ml.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,078 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I liked it. Liked the fact that he was just there to try to find out about Clara. And he seems quite agitated and on edge this season because of her. As some have said, I think he's pushing her, seeing what makes her tick and what she'll do....... Maybe seeing if she'll come back for a THIRD time.....

The only thing is though that ya tend to watch the show almost too intently, trying to pick up on tiny little hints that may or may not be there.

As someone said, it was creepier than many "horror" movies out there, especially as we all know the BBC would have had no problems killing off the investigators. Never going to be a case of "Oh, you can't kill them off, we might have plans for them" (Although I don't think we've seen the last of them)

The only thing I wasn't gone on was how quickly the Doctor figured out what was happening. I mean one minute he was: "What's this? A ghost?" and the next: "Nope, been to the start/end/other points in time of the universe so it's Earth's first Chrononaut, her name's blah, her birthday's XXX and her favourite colour's green and she's your greatgreatgreatgranddaughter"

I loved it. The ending was a bit tacked on, I thought, but otherwise great.

I agree with what others have been saying about the Doctor testing Clara. In the Christmas episode he was completely enamoured with her and asked her to come away with him, but I don't think he's having the same feeling about this Clara. He's still picking her up and dropping her off, right?

He's seeing her as a riddle rather than a person. He hates not knowing what's going on, and we've seen him manipulate before when he knew that the Ponds knew more than he did in Day of the Moon. He can be pretty scary when he wants to be, and all that hidden under the facade of an overgrown child. I love it.

I also loved that the Empath told Clara not to trust him and then he showed her just how alien he is.

I loved the tech, the setting, the disintigrating pocket universe, and the creatures' movements (shot in reverse?). Lo fi for the most part but very effective.

what was with the music room being the epicentre of everything then the next bit they're in the foyer/living room place and everything there, I honestly thought it was a sloppy episode. It had great tension but seemed a off at times.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Das Kitty wrote: »
    In the Christmas episode he was completely enamoured with her and asked her to come away with him, but I don't think he's having the same feeling about this Clara.
    TBH I'm kinda mirroring that. Was warming to Xmas Clara, but find myself underwhelmed by modern day Clara.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement

Wibbs wrote: »
    TBH I'm kinda mirroring that. Was warming to Xmas Clara, but find myself underwhelmed by modern day Clara.

Ha ha. I prefer the modern one. :)

Advertisement