Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers** Series 7, Episode 9 - "Hide"

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think it's very clear now that he isn't treating Clara like a normal companion. He is almost cold and callous towards her, it's like he has no interest in her as a person and is only interested in the mystery behind her. He's also clearly suspicious of her, perhaps he thinks she is some type of trap, which she very possibly is.

I think the stuff with the Tardis apparently not liking her is really just a reflection of how the Doctor feels.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I dunno, I don't think the Doc was that cold with Clara, even if he had an ulterior motive for being at the mansion. Seemed to me like part of the standard companion-arc by now; there has always been a point for a new companion where he/she discovers the Doctor may not be the fun-loving galactic scamp he initially appears to be.

Whether it's a whole episode, or a moment within that story, the companion gets to see a different side of the man. I think 'Hide' was that point for Clara, when she's told that there's more to the Doctor than meets the eye. Going by the trailer for next week's episode, it looks like things might get worse & a little heated between them too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,958 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I dug it a lot. There seems to be a renewed emphasis on the Doctor as an alien force; almost human, but completely not. Continues on nicely from the end of S6, with the reintroduction of the 'Dr.Who?' schtck. Very Cartmel masterplan-ish.

Funny enough, on the Cartmel note, I did get 'Ghost Light' flashbacks on occasion, with the mansion and spirit-y setting. Though fortunately, 'Hide' didn't need to be viewed with an episode guide on your lap.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

pixelburp wrote: »
    I dunno, I don't think the Doc was that cold with Clara, even if he had an ulterior motive for being at the mansion. Seemed to me like part of the standard companion-arc by now; there has always been a point for a new companion where he/she discovers the Doctor may not be the fun-loving galactic scamp he initially appears to be.
    He seems to have previous there alright. Taking Clara traveling to the end of the world was familiar as he did similar with the Rose wan(Her first Tardis trip IIRC), to gauge reactions? . For me Donna was the one who seemed to see him as alien/"spaceboy" from the get go and called him on it every chance she got. Then again she didn't fancy him so... :D
    Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I dug it a lot. There seems to be a renewed emphasis on the Doctor as an alien force; almost human, but completely not.
    For me as a kid watching the old series I remember really getting that vibe from Tom Baker. The "new" Docs for example tend to show remorse/concern when people die, he generally didn't. A real "Stuff happens" thing with him, which struck me even as a kid.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement