Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody ever stream 1080 over 200Mbps Powerline adaptors?

• 19-04-2013 9:27am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭

As the question says. I'm setting up a NAS-based media setup for my sister similar to my own. I have a NAS connected via a pair of 500Mbps Powerline Ethernet adapters to my own Arctic MC001 and it runs 1080p fine and dandy. My sister will also have a NAS and Arctic but, in trying to keep costs down a bit, I'm thinking of going for 200Mbps adaptors as they only have a Wireless a/b/g router and I don't think even N is up to 1080p without stuttering a bit.

has anyone tried using 200Mbps powerlines when streaming 1080 or should she just bite the bullet and go for the 500s?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nobody can predict the situation as homeplugs from my experience are hit or miss, they depend on lots of factors, you do not get the same speeds in different situations. I do know that 500Mbit ones max at about 60mbit throughput and I've seen some 1080p encoded content needing 30+mbit on my own network.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Nobody can predict the situation as homeplugs from my experience are hit or miss, they depend on lots of factors, you do not get the same speeds in different situations. I do know that 500Mbit ones max at about 60mbit throughput and I've seen some 1080p encoded content needing 30+mbit on my own network.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was thinking. Plus, her house is old enough so god knows what the wiring's like. Think I'll go for the auld 500s and give them a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭livEwirE

I've used Belkin 1GB powerline adaptors before to stream 1080p and they worked fine. A mate of mine has 200mb tp-link powerline adaptors and they stream 1080p no problem.

I can stream 1080p rips using 200Mbps homeplugs no problem. Full BD is a no go, except the odd one which has low bitrate.

If I was to buy nowadays I wouldn't bother with 200Mbps, the price of 500Mbps models has come down a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Plus, her house is old enough so god knows what the wiring's like.
    This will be the main factor. Ensure that it all leads to one fuseboard, as opposed to a fuseboard with a few things added on over time, as I've read that the latter can cause problems with data. Ask if she had to do any electrical work when she bought it. If you have doubts, maybe do a test with your own plugs first before shelling out?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I recently bought a set of 500Mbps powerline adaptors myself and they are running fine with 1080 content to a Pi with xbmc.

Might be a silly question, but how do you find out what speeds you are getting between the adapters?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Access wrote: »
    Might be a silly question, but how do you find out what speeds you are getting between the adapters?
    Copy and paste a file, using a program like Supercopier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭fayer

Access wrote: »
    I recently bought a set of 500Mbps powerline adapters myself and they are running fine with 1080 content to a Pi with xbmc.

The TP link ones have an app to show the exact bit rate and also adjust the QoS for what ever yo will be using them for.

I have been using them for a number of years, wiring is a major factor. If you can have them on the same ring main that has no extra spurs added onto it you are laughing. I have a new house and 2 200Mbs units on a ring main with only 1 outlet in between the 2 points, getting 187Mbs.

fayer wrote: »
    The TP link ones have an app to show the exact bit rate and also adjust the QoS for what ever yo will be using them for.

The utility shows the connection speed rather than the real world throughput you'll get. And real world is what matters as far as knowing whether you can stream something or not.

If you were actually getting 187Mbps then you could stream 4 full Blurays at the same time.

In reality they are half duplex so 100Mbps is the theoretical max you could get in one direction under lab conditions. Then you add in the interference, distance, tranmission protocol overhead etc and realistically you'll struggle to stream even 1 full BD.

Advertisement