Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd Email from UPC

Options
  • 19-04-2013 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Got an email this morning telling me my price was going down (Broadband and Telephone only)

€1.88 less a month. I think I was on the 25Mb package. Just had a look at the site and they only seem to have 50mb - 150mb packages at the moment?

Anyone been talking to them lately as to what we can get in the Grove? (I don't feel like sitting on hold for 30 minutes at the moment!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

Actually, just had a chat online with them!! Quick and painless so fair play.

30mb is the top speed in the Grove at the moment with no timeline for upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

That's been the case for years now unfortunately. I don't see it changing any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

d31b0y wrote: »
    That's been the case for years now unfortunately. I don't see it changing any time soon.

They might look at upgrading when fibre broadband comes out in september.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

Fibre broadband is coming in September?
    Really? Where did you see that?

And why might that mean an upgrade from UPC?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eircom's Fibre broadband won't hit Greystones until next year (we're in phase 4 of that upgrade which is due to complete in December).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Quackhart

More specifically we need to remember that Charlesland technically is only in the Greystones environs and not actually IN Greystones itself.

So while we may be attached to an exchange in Greystones, it does not necessarily mean that we will receive the benefit of a Fibre enabled exchange or indeed the full benefit of an exchange being enabled, top speeds etc.

Quackhart wrote: »
    More specifically we need to remember that Charlesland technically is only in the Greystones environs and not actually IN Greystones itself.

So while we may be attached to an exchange in Greystones, it does not necessarily mean that we will receive the benefit of a Fibre enabled exchange or indeed the full benefit of an exchange being enabled, top speeds etc.

Eircom have already layed the fibre to charlesland. I would expect charlesland would be top priority for greystones as its most highly populated area.

It would mean upc might look at upgrading charlelsand if eircom and others are offering higher speeds.

Sorry i know sky are rolling out their fibre based broadband in september, i presume it will be rolled out in the stages so maybe not to greystones until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Jimjay wrote: »
    Eircom have already layed the fibre to charlesland. I would expect charlesland would be top priority for greystones as its most highly populated area.

It would mean upc might look at upgrading charlelsand if eircom and others are offering higher speeds.

Sorry i know sky are rolling out their fibre based broadband in september, i presume it will be rolled out in the stages so maybe not to greystones until later.

Sky will be using Eircom's infrastructure, they're not rolling out their own fibre. Their current ADSL offering uses BT's network.

The new Eircom ("eFibre") product is fibre to the curb, so they run fibre from the exchange to a junction box, and standard copper from there to your gaff. Its the distance you are from the junction box that will determine the speed you can get. I'm sure they'll be putting boxes in Charlesland as part of the Greystones rollout.

loyatemu wrote: »
    Sky will be using Eircom's infrastructure, they're not rolling out their own fibre. Their current ADSL offering uses BT's network.

The new Eircom ("eFibre") product is fibre to the curb, so they run fibre from the exchange to a junction box, and standard copper from there to your gaff. Its the distance you are from the junction box that will determine the speed you can get. I'm sure they'll be putting boxes in Charlesland as part of the Greystones rollout.

Sure. What I meant is if sky are rolling out their fibre packages in september then eircom must be starting the roll out in september too (or before). Although you are probably correct greystones will be later I have heard eircom will be pushing to roll out greystones before the end of this year. Btw sky's current offering only uses bt where bt have unbundled exchanges, the rest are on eircom.

We also saw eircom running fibre right up to the charlesland shopping centre so I presume we are very close to the junction box.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

While out for a walk one day afew months back I spotted some spray paint on the grass in the first part of Charlesland Wood, a rectangular box was marked on the grass with 'cab' written in it. This marking was located right beside an existing green eircom junction box - so if I put two and two together, that's where the new FTTC box will be.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
Advertisement