Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting new sofas

Options
  • 19-04-2013 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Looking for advice on how best to approach my agent/LL about getting rid of the furniture in our apartment. The sofas aren't fit for purpose & we are willing to buy our own sofas. So won't be putting anyone out of pocket till the day we move out. I am currently only 4 months in to the lease & can't handle sitting on the furniture anymore .

Thanks in advance
    Sullydublin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If they are truly damaged beyond the point of being usable then bring it to the attention of the landlord and get them to dispose of them. Tell them that you are willing to buy your own furniture; they will probably be more likely to cooperate once they realise that they dont have to shell out for new furniture right away.

If its just a case that you dont like them then you might find it a bit trickier. If the landlord doesnt have a place to store the furniture then it is highly unlikely that they will want to pay to have it put in storage, and they are not obliged to remove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭sullydublin

djimi wrote: »
    If they are truly damaged beyond the point of being usable then bring it to the attention of the landlord and get them to dispose of them. Tell them that you are willing to buy your own furniture; they will probably be more likely to cooperate once they realise that they dont have to shell out for new furniture right away.

If its just a case that you dont like them then you might find it a bit trickier. If the landlord doesnt have a place to store the furniture then it is highly unlikely that they will want to pay to have it put in storage, and they are not obliged to remove it.

I'll ring and find out but they are not comfortable springs are on the way out & are cosmetically damaged ie fake leather coming off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I'll ring and find out but they are not comfortable springs are on the way out & are cosmetically damaged ie fake leather coming off.

What did they look like when you viewed the place? Generally you are renting a place as it is. If you didn't mind them then you don't really have much complaint.

In saying that simply ask the landlord to replace them politely. They may be willing to replace them.

You can easily end up with a new sofa just as uncomfortable. It is also a relative concept. Fit for purpose is another relative term.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    What did they look like when you viewed the place? Generally you are renting a place as it is. If you didn't mind them then you don't really have much complaint.

In saying that simply ask the landlord to replace them politely. They may be willing to replace them.

You can easily end up with a new sofa just as uncomfortable. It is also a relative concept. Fit for purpose is another relative term.
    The same condition & was brought to the attention of the agent . I don't expect the landlord to be out of pocket. The sofas I would say are here since 2008. We pay our rent on time & haven't hassled the agent or LL since we moved in.

Would I have to tell him if I just store them myself ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

The same condition & was brought to the attention of the agent . I don't expect the landlord to be out of pocket. The sofas I would say are here since 2008. We pay our rent on time & haven't hassled the agent or LL since we moved in.

Would I have to tell him if I just store them myself ?

Bringing it to the attention of the agent doesn't real mean anything.

Nothing special about paying your rent on time or not hassling the agent. That is what you are meant to do.

Yes you would need to tell him you are removing furniture from the house.

Simply ask all he can really do is say yes or no. No reasonable person would react baddly

• Advertisement

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Bringing it to the attention of the agent doesn't real mean anything.

Nothing special about paying your rent on time or not hassling the agent. That is what you are meant to do.

Yes you would need to tell him you are removing furniture from the house.

Simply ask all he can really do is say yes or no. No reasonable person would react baddly

Cheers ray . I only mentioned about not hassling the ll because he would not have any negative dealings with myself as I said above

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭ladysarah

why not ask the landlord to but new sofas. also if buying furniture fo not buy from cost plus sofas

Advertisement