Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching in Australia

• 19-04-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi,
    I am currently secondary school teaching in Ireland, and have two years experience. As i am a substitute I will be unemployed again in a couple of weeks :( I am thinking of going to australia to see if I can find work. Is there any teachers out there that could give me any advice on teaching in Australia and let me no if they think i will be able to find work in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

allic wrote: »
    Hi,
    I am currently secondary school teaching in Ireland, and have two years experience. As i am a substitute I will be unemployed again in a couple of weeks :( I am thinking of going to australia to see if I can find work. Is there any teachers out there that could give me any advice on teaching in Australia and let me no if they think i will be able to find work in this area? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Check your mail :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 116 ✭✭newirishshogun

I'd also appreciate any info,

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Lellybelle24

I worked in regional Australia in 2012 as a teacher. If you only want to live in the main capital cities you will more than likely struggle to find work. Also, the cost of living will obviously be more expensive there. However, if you're willing to move, then it is possible to get teaching work and to save quite a good amount of money. My main piece of advice is to organise registration while you are still in Ireland as it can take months and apply for your WCC card as soon as you arrive. Best of luck ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 PKMB1

Hi,
    I was in Australia on a working visa in 2013 on a working visa but only stayed 2 and 1/2 months. I came home and finished my teaching degree since and was wondering if it was possible to get another visa or is a teaching visa different?

Any info would be a help!

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mazdoc

Hi all, I'm almost finished my Hibernia post grad in Primary Teaching and want to go to Australia teaching.
    Any tips welcomed. As anyone else done this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 allic

Make sure you register in whatever state you are going to settle in because you have to register in each state separately which is a pain if you don't know exactly where you want to go! (I registered with Victorian institute of teaching to teach in Melbourne). It can be a lengthy process that's why I would do it before you go so you can start teaching straight away when you get there! I signed up with ANZUK and worked as a CRT teacher for 6 months which suited me as you only worked days you wanted therefore allowing me to travel in between! Australia is a brilliant country and you will have a great time, I wish I didn't leave!! Any other questions just ask!

How long does it all take to get registered? How is ANZUK as a recuitment agency? Where the wages okay? How was the teaching over there? Do you know have any websites for more steady work?

it takes about 2 months approx.! I found them very nice, I tried to register with tradewind too but they weren't taking anymore applications so went with anzuk they are pretty big over there! I think wages were about $225 per day! teaching I found fine not an awful lot different to home apart from different curriculum! there was ALOT of work in special needs which I ended up loving! if you get on well in schools they will ask for you back too which is good as you get to know staff and students a bit better! look up recruitment online for more stable jobs but agency should be able to help you with getting a long term role too!

225$ Thats nice and there was plenty work to keep you going?
    I've always wanted to go to oz and I'm thinking I'll take the plunge.

ya it was good and lots of work! if its on your mind then id say go for it im so glad I did its a great experience! :) best of luck with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Windorah

At the moment it seems a lot of the teaching jobs are for Special Education or in particular Early Childhood so if possible gain as much experience/courses in these areas.

If you have a B.Ed primary teaching degree (or something similar) you aren't qualified (for registration purposes) to teach in an early childhood setting but I know a few primary teachers who completed a Certificate 3 in childcare with Taafe (an online college all over oz) and were then eligible to teach in Early Childhood.

If you look up seek.com.au you might get some idea of the jobs market.

Thank you very much for your help :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Don't be shy about contacting schools with Irish founders, some places like to enhance their heritage credentials.

Advertisement