Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantity surveying or estimating work calgary?

Options
  • 19-04-2013 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hey, moving over to calgary on the 13th may from Ireland.

I am wondering has anyone moved over and is working or looking for work as a quantity surveyor or estimator?
    Was it hard get work?
    Whats the work like?

I have about 3years experence in quantity surveying in Ireland.

Any information would be a great help!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Beancounter 2013

Do you already have a temp visa? I was over there for a week in February and tried to meet as many people as I could. I'll pm you the name of an agency I found very good (I'm a QS too). There is a lot of work on there at the moment but from what I can see they aren't the quickest at moving along the recruitment process!! There seems to be activity in all sectors from the oil and gas (big $'s), Commercial, Infrastructural and Civil Works so you should be able to find a fit in some of those areas. It's a small community in the construction business there so I think networking will help your search a lot. Good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobmolloy

Do you already have a temp visa? I was over there for a week in February and tried to meet as many people as I could. I'll pm you the name of an agency I found very good (I'm a QS too). There is a lot of work on there at the moment but from what I can see they aren't the quickest at moving along the recruitment process!! There seems to be activity in all sectors from the oil and gas (big $'s), Commercial, Infrastructural and Civil Works so you should be able to find a fit in some of those areas. It's a small community in the construction business there so I think networking will help your search a lot. Good luck with it.

Thanks for your pm, I will look into that. Ya I have a visa to work in Canada for 2years but if I like it and am getting on Well I'd be looking to stay for a lot longer.
    Have you much experience yourself?

bobmolloy wrote: »
    Thanks for your pm, I will look into that. Ya I have a visa to work in Canada for 2years but if I like it and am getting on Well I'd be looking to stay for a lot longer.
    Have you much experience yourself?

I have about 15 years experience myself, in PQS Practise and main contractor. Nothing happening here and nothing for your careers so head off, get experience you never would have got here and head back in 5 or 6 years if you want to. It's great to have a chance to try somewhere else and I think Canada (Calgary in particularly) is a far better bet than Oz. regarding LinkedIn, make sure you start 'following' some of the to tier companies like PCL, Graham, Ellis Don etc. You'll see what roles they are recruiting for easily enough that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 scottbigbee

Hey guys, another beancounter here. I'm looking into the option of relocating to Canada myself also. I've 5 years experience (2 with Ireland's biggest contractor). I didn't apply for the IEC in time so I'm limited to LMO as I'd rather not wait until 2014. I'm targeting September as I hope to visit Florida for work from July to August. I've just started applying for positions in the last week. Realistically, what are my chances of getting sponsored for a work permit which would allow me to emigrate in September. How long does the process usually take? Is demand still high?

Hey guys, another beancounter here. I'm looking into the option of relocating to Canada myself also. I've 5 years experience (2 with Ireland's biggest contractor). I didn't apply for the IEC in time so I'm limited to LMO as I'd rather not wait until 2014. I'm targeting September as I hope to visit Florida for work from July to August. I've just started applying for positions in the last week. Realistically, what are my chances of getting sponsored for a work permit which would allow me to emigrate in September. How long does the process usually take? Is demand still high?

It's no harm that you are doing the groundwork now, but you really would have to be prepared to accept an offer if you got one - you can't really expect to be accepted with a notice period of up to 4 or 5 months (though typically the lmo process can take up to 12/14 weeks, but you have to appear keen). My standard line for interviews was that I could be available in 4 to 5 weeks.

I think you should be able to secure an LMO position in Calgary. Are you applying directly? Have you got your Linkedin Profile looki
    ng good?

Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 scottbigbee

Applying directly to the larger outfits as well as consultancies (wouldn't mind acquiring some pqs experience). I've stated in my cover letter that the notice period is negotiable. LinkedIn is up yes but admittedly could do with being polished up. I would obviously be willing to take any position just to get my foot in the door so to speak.
    What are your background guys? I.e degree, builder/PQS, experience in Ireland and abroad and career aims in terms of where you'd like to end up?
    Thanks for your help guys

Guys, I had an email this week from Randstad in Toronto (I had submitted my CV to them previously) asking me if I could recommend any JUNIOR Estimators that I may know for a role they are trying to fill. The contact details are as follows, but I don't know how serious this is so don't get your hopes up too much!! Good luck with it.

| Researcher | [email]removed[/email]

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Hi Beancounter 2013,
    Email address/info etc has been removed
    Cheers.

Advertisement