Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best aquarium supplies shop in Ireland?

Options
  • 19-04-2013 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

We're hoping to set up our new 180l aquarium over the next few weeks, just wondering where is best to go for for advice on all of this?
    I'm in Galway but willing to travel - haven't found anywhere great here (tried the new place down at Satlhill aquarium and petworld) - any suggestions?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Oops, sorry - should have had a proper look down through recent posts first. Apologies all and thanks ksimpson for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

boogaloop wrote: »
    Oops, sorry - should have had a proper look down through recent posts first. Apologies all and thanks ksimpson for the link.

No problem.

pet mania out beside the eye cinema has a decent amount of stuff

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Go to Aquapaws on Dominck street. They know their stuff about their fish, and their fish are healthy stock. The guy has been in the business for over 20 years and is very knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Very difficult to see anywhere as good as Seahorse Aquaiums. The quality of their fish is second to none.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

We use both Seahorse and also Artane Aquatics.

Keelan (Seahorse) and Gavin (Artane Aquatics) both know their stuff and their fish.

So both come well recommended from us.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭boogaloop

Thanks all. We've been in to Aquapaws and found them very helpful, so we're nearly ready to go :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I've dealt with Darren in Seahorse and he is excellent. The quality and variety of fish they have is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭fungun

imo best for fish isnt necessarily best for equipment and decor.

Seahorse clearly have very good quality stock but you do pay extra for that. I have to say that although i do shop in Seahorse now and again I find for instance that their cardinals would be smaller than other shops and €1 more expensive. Now if Im going in buying 10 of them & I know my tank is fine then I think Id take 10 larger ones and save a tenner in another shop. But if I was going for more expensive fish that maybe i hadnt kept before, so wanted to be sure i had a good quality fish i might then buy in seahorse. And of course I buy there to treat myself now and again also! :)

For pricing on equipment such as pumps and filters I wouldnt buy without comparing the price with Maxi Zoo - when I bought a Fluval 305 about a year ago there was a €100 price difference across shops - with Maxi Zoo being the cheapest by about €50 at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 pflan

The best equipment supplier by far is Rick in Tranquil gardens Claregalway. If you are in Galway this would be my first stop for advise and a quote. He can get you anything and the prices are way cheaper than elsewhere. He has a background in building an supplying fish farms and knows a hell of a lot about building aquariums and deals with all the suppliers of them too. I've dealt with him for last few years and bought a Marine 130 gallon + equipment off him lately, he carried it into the house and spent the full day setting it up, which I could do myself but it is a lot of work and more fun doing it with somebody. Got it up and running in one day and all my livestock in the next day without loss.

Website is ****e and out of date but here it is. http://www.tranquilwatergardens.ie/About.asp Give him a ring or drop out to see his aquariums fish corals etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

Pet mania in Finglas beside Clearwater is pretty good.

The shop isn't there very long but they have an extensive range of fish and equipment and Des,the manager is a keen fish keeper and expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Seahorse is best for equipment, but i find Arthane better for fish.

Advertisement