Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ipad

Options
  • 19-04-2013 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭

Just wondering where is the best place to purchase a new Ipad.

Is it much of a muchness where you go, or would there be savings to be had on the likes of amazon.es or .de?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭carly_86

I got mine in argos there the same price every where.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Helium

Look at refurbs on Apple.ie probably better than new ones as more stringent tests done on them for re-sale.
    Bought one for daughter last year and great bargain towards retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Helium wrote: »
    Look at refurbs on Apple.ie probably better than new ones as more stringent tests done on them for re-sale.
    Bought one for daughter last year and great bargain towards retail.
    +1 for this. If you'd prefer to buy new then try flubit for a better price

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Thanks for the replies all.

Is there anything stopping me buying in the UK, where they seem cheaper? I believe apple themselves will insist on a UK address & credit card, but what about other sellers. Do apple have a way to track the devises or anything?

Sorry if a dumb question, it would just seem that they are cheaper in the UK, so unsure why people wouldn't suggest there?

Cheers

There not cheaper in the UK i bought a ipod touch in London not so long ago and it was roughly the same price when you convert to euros

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

Im a loser

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

carly_86 wrote: »
    There not cheaper in the UK i bought a ipod touch in London not so long ago and it was roughly the same price when you convert to euros
    I have found buying apple products at Heathrow can work out much cheaper. Don't know if they sell ipads there or not. My purchase was an ipod touch.

muckisluck wrote: »
    I have found buying apple products at Heathrow can work out much cheaper. Don't know if they sell ipads there or not. My purchase was an ipod touch.

Tax free in the airport

carly_86 wrote: »
    Tax free in the airport

Prsumably that is the marketing device but I was only travelling to Dublin from London so taxes must be paid by someone. It wasn't a trip outside the EU.

muckisluck wrote: »
    Prsumably that is the marketing device but I was only travelling to Dublin from London so taxes must be paid by someone. It wasn't a trip outside the EU.

i taught cigarettes was the only thing that you couldn't buy in dutyfree when your going to England. Electronic devices you don't pay taxes when buying in duty free

• Advertisement

You can buy most things in Duty free but the companies selling must be absorbing the taxes. In Dublin airport there are two different prices on some items (for example on spirits) depending on whether one is travelling within or without the eu. I presume the govt. still wants its cut from everything sold in duty free if we're not leaving the area. Maybe I have it all wrong but it still answers the op that duty free is a good place to look for the cheapest ipads:)

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭Plates

Cheers all. I see these as being slightly cheaper in the UK, and as I will be going through Manchester Airport on the May Bank Holiday I am going to look there.

Will report back re: prices.

RIALTO1 wrote: »
    Cheers all. I see these as being slightly cheaper in the UK, and as I will be going through Manchester Airport on the May Bank Holiday I am going to look there.

Will report back re: prices.
    It was in a Dixon's shop at the airport that I bought the ipod.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

How much did it set you back?

Ok, back from my travels. So I had been looking at the 32gb wi-fi version which is €609 from Apple themselves, and £479 from the UK Apple store.

In Dublin airport, this was €566 in Dixons so a saving of €43. Incidently the girl there was trying to put the hard sell on me to just get the 16gb, and that they had a special offer on 1tb (terrabite) of cloud storage for €120 (normally €190 apparently).

Then in Manchester airport, I actually got the full list of prices:
    Wi-fi
    16gb - £375 > €446.33
    32gb - £450 > €535.59
    64gb - £526 > €626.04
    Wi-fi & Cellular
    16gb - £468 > €557.01
    32gb - £538 > €640.33
    64gb - £598 > €711.74

€ prices based on the exchange rate I got for withdrawing cash on Saturday

So a UK airport would sem to be the best place to get one of these if you are after a new one, with the 32gb wi-fi version being €74 cheaper than Apple Ire.

Thanks for that- a very comprehensive breakdown. You've got me wondering now about buying one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

Only found this topic now, agree with before; good places to get one are refurb from apple, dixons travel shop or give flubit.com a try.
    In UK airports a lot and took a pic of prices last time, iPad prices already posted so ill add the iPad mini ones.
    Btw if you're thinking if buying one, but don't really need one now may I suggest you hold of till June, there maybe some new iPads announced then so you could either get one of those or the current ones will be considerably discounted (even in the dixons airport shops).

Advertisement