Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

replacing and moving gas boiler

• 19-04-2013 11:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Hi there

Just looking for some advice on our home heating.

At the moment we have a 20 odd year old gloworm gas boiler in the kitchen and we want to replace it and also move the location of its replacement from the kitchen wall to the garage wall outside. My plumber explained that i couldnt get a grant from seai because i would have to zone the house which means taking up floors etc and he advised it just wasnt worth it!!
    The proposed solution was that the moving of the boiler was no problem and the replacement would be a veismann boiler as he advised these were a solid brand. Instead of zoning trv's would be fitted to all rads which they do not currently have.
    Could anyone advise as to reliability of a veismann boiler and possibily explain the whole zoning thing and if its worth considering converting to it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭shane0007

Good solid boiler.
    Zoning is always worth it as you will have both TIME & TEMPERTURE control over each zone. So you only heat the area of your home that you are using when you want to. If your house is 1,600sqft & you have it zoned, why would you want to heat bedrooms during the day? Zoned, you are only heating an 800sqft house.
    With temperature control, if you have your heating on for, say 2 hours, if the house reaches 20C within 1 hour, the heating will switch off automatically, saving you fuel & thus money. Especially with HE boilers, they will heat your home far quicker than a standard efficiency boiler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

shane0007 wrote: »
    Good solid boiler.
    Zoning is always worth it as you will have both TIME & TEMPERTURE control over each zone. So you only heat the area of your home that you are using when you want to. If your house is 1,600sqft & you have it zoned, why would you want to heat bedrooms during the day? Zoned, you are only heating an 800sqft house.
    With temperature control, if you have your heating on for, say 2 hours, if the house reaches 20C within 1 hour, the heating will switch off automatically, saving you fuel & thus money. Especially with HE boilers, they will heat your home far quicker than a standard efficiency boiler.

Thanks for that!!! very much appreciated, i think we're leaving it at unzoned, the work involved with floors coming up etc puts us off and as it is we cant find fault with the heating arrangements as is. Its nice to know the boiler choice is good!! Thanks for your reply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

xgtdec wrote: »
    Thanks for that!!! very much appreciated, i think we're leaving it at unzoned, the work involved with floors coming up etc puts us off and as it is we cant find fault with the heating arrangements as is. Its nice to know the boiler choice is good!! Thanks for your reply!

Make sure your RGI plumber powerflushes your system before the new boiler goes in. It's a good days work doing this but without it your new boiler won't last very long

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Make sure your RGI plumber powerflushes your system before the new boiler goes in. It's a good days work doing this but without it your new boiler won't last very long
    Presume thats something ive to ask him...should i presume if he's rgi he know its do be done??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

xgtdec wrote: »
    Presume thats something ive to ask him...should i presume if he's rgi he know its do be done??

He should know but not necessarily. Hell have to use a machine and chemicals. No other way is satisfactory.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Ask him about a wireless room stat if you are no zoning, at least you will have temperature control over the space heating and stop the boiler from anit-cycling.

Viessmann do a wireless programmable room thermostat called a Vititrol 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Ask him about a wireless room stat if you are no zoning, at least you will have temperature control over the space heating and stop the boiler from anit-cycling.

Viessmann do a wireless programmable room thermostat called a Vititrol 100.

what kinda buck are we talking for this boiler and controller ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

The OP doesn't say what output boiler the plumber is using. Or what model.

I think its a Vitodens 100W Nat/Lpg 26kW System 9424.

Also checked on the full chemical flush and yes its being done thankfully!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

OP I'd be all on for zoning the house while your plumber is in there.

For example in my house there's simply two quarter-turn valves, one for 'downstairs' and one for 'upstairs'. The hot water cylinder is on it's own thermostatic zone.

We (almost) only ever have either 'downstairs' or 'upstairs' on at any one time, as required. This saves heating unused parts of the house, and it's a very simple system - even the kids can use it.

• Advertisement

deandean wrote: »
    OP I'd be all on for zoning the house while your plumber is in there.

For example in my house there's simply two quarter-turn valves, one for 'downstairs' and one for 'upstairs'. The hot water cylinder is on it's own thermostatic zone.

We (almost) only ever have either 'downstairs' or 'upstairs' on at any one time, as required. This saves heating unused parts of the house, and it's a very simple system - even the kids can use it.

Id be all on for it if we were going from scratch but having to take up floors etc is a turn off, plus the added cost, in the end we went for a single loop and trv's on all the rads which we'll adjust to suit, i think its the most cost effective solution without pulling the house apart!!

Advertisement