Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Abandoned warehouse anywhere near Dublin?

• 19-04-2013 11:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

As you can probably guess from the title, Im looking to find an abandoned warehouse anywhere near Dublin for a photoshoot and wondering if anybody here was aware of one?

I have an idea for a shoot and it would be great to get access to somewhere really gritty looking. Ideally somewhere that didnt mean taking your life in your hands to get access to.

I know this has come up a few times before but most of the info I could find on the likes of Abandoned Ireland and few blogs were a few years out of date. The places mentioned might still be abandoned, but I thought it safer to ask on here.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

How far are you prepared to travel and do you mind getting you and your crew in without permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

I don't mind travelling at all but Id be limited to areas serviced by public transport. Im based in the city centre so I figure Id have to travel at least to the outskirts of the city to find the right location.

I don't mind the whole permission thing, but naturally enough the less the chances of being kicked out of the place the better :p

Well you can't go wrong with the Pigeon House - fantastic building inside and easy to get into.

Another one is an abandoned factory in West Dublin, near Ballyfermot/Chapelizod. Tougher to get into but pretty cool inside.

Both are absolutely perfect. Pigeon House in particular looks exactly what I had in mind, plus its not far either. Thank you so much!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lisatiffany

Careful with Pigeon House though, they do have security from time to time and in my urbex days I and some other explorers were shown the exit. Though that said I'd been there three times until that happened. Same with Bolands Mill it was a third time is a charm and a ride home in a cop car.. I asked if they would turn the flashers on ..nope lol. If it's harmless enough like a shoot and you don't disturb anything you should be okay but just be cautious and have a good look around from the road first. Also be wary that if you do wander around the inside near the back of the building it's extremely dark and there are a lot of holes in the floor that lead into what looks like water. We used nightvision to go to real depths of the place, it looks fantastic and has so much character but like most old buildings you have to watch your step.

• Advertisement

An interesting side note to this thread. I check visits to my blog and where they come from through the stats. I noticed a spike today with quite a few clicks coming from this thread on boards. Wonder why? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I've shot in Pigeon House a few times. Great spot -
    8534091144_b36c56f51a_z.jpg

BUT

It is literally falling apart. Corrigated iron sheets crumbled beneath our feet, Pigeons disturbed the ceiling above us, sending iron bars and rocks crumbling down. We went far into the long room, only to find human waste, suspicious bags and what I guessed to be rat droppings.

It's not somewhere you'd go on your own!

Also, Sundays are easier to access the place - particularly after 4pm when security seem to clock off.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

The sidney cooper building in ballymount is empty for five years now its huge in side

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

Oh and pullandbang, is that Faulkners in Chapelizod? Any tips on getting in without damaging anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

Check p&b's pix.ie account, think it has a picture on how we entered. Once in you could spend the day there without being disturbed.

• Advertisement

The sidney cooper building in ballymount is empty for five years now its huge in side

Do yoyu know if theres an easy way in? Pm me if you'd rather not mention it on the forum.

I went down to Pigeon House yesterday, was just really planning a stroll but when I got near I thought feck it I might as well head in....the problem was I couldnt find an entrance. There was a gate a bit down the road from it with a bit of the cover bent up so I was thinking that might have been it. The only other thing I seen was the big official entrance but surely thats not how everybody gets in, its right in the same corner as the entrance to the main Poolbeg station and had 2 large security desks there(couldnt tell if they were manned). Any hints or tips for how to get in would be appreciated. I know theres issues with posting some of this on here so if anyone can help feel free to drop me a pm with any hints.

Cheers,

Dave

mehfesto wrote: »
    Oh and pullandbang, is that Faulkners in Chapelizod? Any tips on getting in without damaging anything?

Tis indeed the old Faulkner place. We sold it the night before the big bang :D There might be a little hole in the asbestos roof that just might allow an body to squeeze in. I'm not saying there is like, just that there might be.....;)

Advertisement