Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlton site building to become Japanese restaurant

Options
  • 19-04-2013 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭

Carlton site building to become Japanese restaurant
    Former council building was to be part of Joe O’Reilly’s ‘Dublin Central’ development

Fri, Apr 19, 2013, 06:00
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/carlton-site-building-to-become-japanese-restaurant-1.1365198

A former county council building on Dublin’s O’Connell Street which was to be part of a massive €900 million shopping centre development by Chartered Land is to be turned into a Japanese restaurant.
    Signs were yesterday erected for “10 Thousand Restaurant” on the old Fingal County Council building opposite the Gresham Hotel.
    The building, which was vacated by the local authority in 2006, was bought by developer Joe O’Reilly for the “Dublin Central” development.
    The shopping centre, granted planning permission in 2010, was to cover 2.7 hectares encompassing the former Carlton cinema and vacant plots stretching to Moore Street, some of which have been derelict since the 1970s.

Nama portfolio
    No construction has started on the site and the lands now form part of Nama’s portfolio of loans. Dublin City Council last January granted permission for the use of the former council building to be changed from offices to retail/restaurant. The application was made by All Points Building & Maintenance with the consent of Chartered Land.
    The conditions of the council’s permission state that the building can be used as a restaurant for three years only.
    Dublin County Council was the first tenant of the 1975 building before Dublin was split into four local authority areas in 1994.
    The redevelopment of the Carlton site has been beset by planning and legal problems concerning historic 1916 Rising buildings on Moore Street.

I see the new restaurant can be used only for 3 years. Will they have to close the japanese restaurant after that ? Maybe are they going ahead with the shopping centre afterwards ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

I remember seeing the original plans for the SC. The site needs to be developed for sure as the current site is a bit of an eyesore on the city's main thoroughfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭aindriu80

Yes they have to do something with it. Not sure about the shopping centre up in the sky though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

If the planning permission is for three years only, then yes after three years it cannot be used as a restaurant. No reason they can't apply again once the three years are up. I haven't read the planners report, but I imagine it has something to do with avoiding a proliferation of restaurants around Parnell St / O'Connell St Upper.

It will be good to have more life on the street up that end of OCS. The worst thing about the Carlton development was that it has strangled OCS Upper and Moore St (not to mention the laneways in between). Hopefully this is the first of many applications for individual buildings in the area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

They can't do much with the front of the building as there is a PO on it, art deco.

I'm not exactly sure what condition the carlton site is in but they could/should match it up with the rest of O' Connell street architecture wise and not a 1970's attempt at a front. The footfall would be welcome in the upper part of the street.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

aindriu80 wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what condition the carlton site is in but they could/should match it up with the rest of O' Connell street architecture wise and not a 1970's attempt at a front. The footfall would be welcome in the upper part of the street.

It has got an art deco frontage and is probably one of the best examples of the style in all of Ireland so it certainly should not be knocked so we can "match it up with the rest of O' Connell street architecture"

RATM wrote: »
    It has got an art deco frontage and is probably one of the best examples of the style in all of Ireland so it certainly should not be knocked so we can "match it up with the rest of O' Connell street architecture"

I don't exactly remember what it looks like but I remember one part looking like a building site with some kind of a cover in front.

Here it is
    http://webspace.webring.com/people/wa/adfunchal/carlton2.htm

The facade is classic art deco and deserves preservation. As far as I know behind it is just a shell holding up the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

I remember a few years back when it was an internet cafe and you could go up the various floors etc

Very good. I would like to see what it looks like without the preservation. To be honest I couldn't really appreciate what the Carlton was exactly supposed to be. The preservation - especially the blue toned film -was something real enough for me to consider as permanent more than protective.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

RATM wrote: »
    Here it is
    http://webspace.webring.com/people/wa/adfunchal/carlton2.htm

The facade is classic art deco and deserves preservation. As far as I know behind it is just a shell holding up the front.

That's the Carlton cinema building but the story above mentions the 10 Thousand restaurant going into the old Fingal County Council building which is a concrete monstrosity if I recall correctly.

I wonder if this is the same as the 10 Thousand all you can eat buffet currently on Abbey Street. I've never been in so no idea what its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

It's not great chipped plates, I hope they up their game in this new venture.

Aard wrote: »
    If the planning permission is for three years only, then yes after three years it cannot be used as a restaurant. No reason they can't apply again once the three years are up. I haven't read the planners report, but I imagine it has something to do with avoiding a proliferation of restaurants around Parnell St / O'Connell St Upper.

Because that's the worst thing about O'Connell St, all those pesky restaurants. Whatever it gets turned into...doesn't really matter as long as Scumtown, Ireland is next door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Big distinction between a 'restaurant' and a 'fast food joint'

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Walked past here yesterday and took a pic of the Fingal building. A very helpful :pac: taxi driver told me if I come back next week, it'll be a restaurant. Said I'd heard that alright and he said the first floor is to be a Chinese outlet of some sort but wasn't sure what. I forgot to go back across to look at the PP notice on the front of the building so no idea if he was talking fact or fiction :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

when was the fingal building last in use, and what purpose was it for? I can barely remember the royal dublin hotel that was demolished not so long ago

when was the fingal building last in use, and what purpose was it for? I can barely remember the royal dublin hotel that was demolished not so long ago

It was the main office for Fingal County Council until they moved to their new premises in Blanchardstown. From the OP:
    The building, which was vacated by the local authority in 2006

It's been empty for 7 years :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

miamee wrote: »
    It was the main office for Fingal County Council until they moved to their new premises in Blanchardstown.
    Slightly off topic, but I was under the impression FCC moved to Swords? Do they have an office in Blanchardstown to?

Aard wrote: »
    Slightly off topic, but I was under the impression FCC moved to Swords? Do they have an office in Blanchardstown to?

Yes they have quite a large building in Blanchardstown, it is located behind the Leisureplex and beside the Court building.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/YourLocalCouncil/AboutFingal/CouncilOffices/Blanchardstown/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As the others pointed out, it's not the Carlton itself that will house this restaurant but the vile 1970s office block that once housed Fingal County Council.

Something badly needs to be done to improve upper O'Connell Street - short-term or long-term and this planned restaurant can't hurt the area.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know what happened to this restaurant? It was open for all of a few days? Now it's boarded up?

strange. Must have ran out of PP ? Any pictures ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

this is good news. If they would just police the area we may get more businesses in and they will clean up the area. Seems so simple...

It was open again tonight! But their sign looks totally wrecked! I'm so curious as to what happened.

It was open again tonight! But their sign looks totally wrecked! I'm so curious as to what happened.

Hmmm.....open, closed, open again, sign wrecked too......I smell an Evening Herald article with Triad innuendo's coming to a news stand near us soon

Advertisement