Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Nominations

• 19-04-2013 12:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭

Player of the Year: Gareth Bale, Michael Carrick, Eden Hazard, Juan Mata, Luis Suarez and RVP.

Young Player: Bale, Hazard, Benteke, Wilshere, Welbeck, Lukaku.

Most glaring omission is Michu. Would have Cazorla ahead of Hazard and Rafael ahead of Wilshere. Thoughts? Or does anyone really give a sh1t about these awards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

We're constantly told that you know less about the game if you haven't played at the highest level, then you see some of these nominations...

Senior award - In Michu, out Hazard

Young - In Nastasic and Rafael, out Wilshere and one league goal Welbeck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a thing to argue over really. Michu should be there and Gareth Bale will win one award and possibly both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Player of the Year: Gareth Bale, Michael Carrick, Eden Hazard, Juan Mata, Luis Suarez and RVP.

Young Player: Bale, Hazard, Benteke, Wilshere, Welbeck, Lukaku.

Most glaring omission is Michu. Would have Cazorla ahead of Hazard and Rafael ahead of Wilshere. Thoughts? Or does anyone really give a sh1t about these awards?

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

By contributing 15 league goals to a side contending relegation, in his debut season, I think Benteke would be bettered only by Bale in that list of young players. Fantastic personal achievement and team contribution by the big man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wondered about that. (Welbeck I mean)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Hazard is borderline.

Welbeck is loltacular.

I don't care how good he's been in "general play", or how good he was at the Bernebeu. that would be akin to the Gareth Bale farce the year he raped Inter Milan.

i'd love to see Benteke win the Young Player award, but it won't happen.

Bale or Carrick to win the main award. yes, i said Carrick. i don't think he should quite win, although i wouldn't be galled, but he's the sort of player fellow professionals love.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Once again, these type of awards are proving to be a complete crock of ****. No surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Michael Carrick haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Carrick over the likes of Baines is mental.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Main list is ok IMO. Only change should be Michu or Cazorla in place of Hazard.

Young player of the year is laughable. Wilshere and Welbeck don't deserve to be in that list. Bale will be 24 in June and is still nominated for the award.

De Gea and Rafael deserves it more than Welbeck and Nastasic should be in the shortlist for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Santi101

Hazard & Carrick out
    Michu, Cazorla in.

I'd give the awards to Suarez and Benteke but Bale's form is fresh in the memory for people so he'll get the POTY.

They should impose a rule that you cannot be nominated for both awards. It's a joke. And lower the age too - 23 FFS? Make it 20 or 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Thatsfootball

Those against Carrick, he's played the most forward passes of any of the top players in Europe:
    Quote by Rayne Wooney on Utd thread;
    "Michael Carrick has the most forward passes this season in Europe with 1534.

Beating Xavi by 200 and Pirlo by over 300"

Also, Michu should definitely be mentioned, as should Rafael/Nastasic for YPOTY

How Wilshere was picked I'm not too sure

Carrick in there is absolutely fine. i don't see people's problem with the incumbent League Champions' main midfielder being nominated for POTY. it seems perfectly acceptable. for many, he's been United's best player this year full stop.

Baines in for Hazard would be my only change to the main list tbh.

DDG and Nastasic instead of Welbeck and Wilshere for the Young Player.

Carrick is quality...but michu and cazorla have had better seasons. It's pretty simple.

Santi101 wrote: »
    Carrick is quality...but michu and cazorla have had better seasons. It's pretty simple.

they haven't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

people seem to keep forgetting every year, this is not a list picked by random people or the PFA, these are the 6 people who have finished in the top 6 of the voting by the players who are playing in the league. the voting was done 4 weeks ago and the winner is already known, realising nominations is just a means of adding to the excitement/build up.

i have no problem with them, however i am surprised to see Hazard and Welbeck in there, both have been really disappointing for most of the season. De Gea and Nastasic should both be in the young player award but obviously the players dont agree!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Bale will win the POTY

Harder to call YPOTY, although Benteke and Lukaku should be the main contedners from the list.

Welbeck is a crazy inclusion however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

United fan here. But Welbeck should not be in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

people seem to keep forgetting every year, this is not a list picked by random people or the PFA, these are the 6 people who have finished in the top 6 of the voting by the players who are playing in the league.

People don't forget. It's just that a lot of people deem that as irrelevant. You made it sound as if the majority of players are all experts on football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

They really haven't

they'll probably try to give Bale both awards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So when do you think the FA will finally bite the bullet and have a "Belgian Player of the Year" award?

Shane St. wrote: »
    They really haven't

Yep fairly sure they have been.

The PFA awards have become farcical in recent years though. Bale won it in 2011 when there were a number of more deserving winners....he won it on the back of destroying Maicon which funnily enough has nothing to do with the PL season.

Giggs in 09 was even worse. Lifetime achievement award if I've ever seen one.

Any of Bale/Suarez/RVP are deserving this year...I'd say 1. Suarez 2. Bale 3. RVP. Bale will win as his patch of great form is fresher in the memory of some, he wasnt too great before Xmas bar a couple of games tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Bale will win the POTY

Harder to call YPOTY, although Benteke and Lukaku should be the main contedners from the list.

Welbeck is a crazy inclusion however.

This happens many times but a player who wins player of the year should surely win young player of the year?

It doesn't make sense to say he is the best player in the league but not the best young player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Can't pick between Suarez and RVP for the main award. Benteke stands out by a mile for the young player if its not Bale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

SlickRic wrote: »
    they'll probably try to give Bale both awards.

When he won the main award in 2011, Wilshere got YPOTY. Don't think many players will give Bale votes for that award this time around either, he'll probably just win the main one.

Worth noting that 8 out of the last 10 winners of the YPOTY award have been English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Cant understand why Welbeck,Hazard and Wilshere are in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Blatter wrote: »
    When he won the main award in 2011, Wilshere got YPOTY. Don't think many players will give Bale votes for that award this time around either, he'll probably just win the main one.

Worth noting that 8 out of the last 10 winners of the YPOTY award have been English.
    It'll probably be that ridiculous combination again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Bale is nearly 24, clutching at straws putting him in the ypoty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Yep fairly sure they have been.

The PFA awards have become farcical in recent years though. Bale won it in 2011 when there were a number of more deserving winners....he won it on the back of destroying Maicon which funnily enough has nothing to do with the PL season.

Giggs in 09 was even worse. Lifetime achievement award if I've ever seen one.

Any of Bale/Suarez/RVP are deserving this year...I'd say 1. Suarez 2. Bale 3. RVP. Bale will win as his patch of great form is fresher in the memory of some, he wasnt too great before Xmas bar a couple of games tbh.

Carrick will probably win POTY for who will be surely the League Champions. He very much deserves to be in POTY.

Also quite shocked Rafael is not in the young players award. Himself and De Gea have had much better seasons than Wellbeck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

While not a huge fan of Carrick, he has played well without being amazing, so deserves to be there.

Suarez and Benteke should win. If people saw how awful Villa midfield have been, they'd be definitely giving it to Benteke for still doing what he's done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Carrick will probably win POTY for who will be surely the League Champions. He very much deserves to be in POTY.

Also quite shocked Rafael is not in the young players award. Himself and De Gea have had much better seasons than Wellbeck.

Carrick will probably win it you think?

If I was you I'd be getting on that at 100/1 on BV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Who has been better than Carrick in his position? No-one...

Wilshere and Welbeck being on PFA young players is a joke, how can they make it but not De Gea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Take out Wilshere and Welbeck and put in De Gea and/or Rafael.

These awards are a crock of sh1t anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

klose wrote: »
    Bale is nearly 24, clutching at straws putting him in the ypoty.

If you start the season at 23 you can be included in the list, didnt Aguero make last years YPOTY list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

The Giggs win a couple of years back proved the irrelevance of these awards. I'm surprised people waste time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Glad to see Carrick there. Played really well this year.

It doesn't really matter who gets nominated, though. It's always down to one or two people to win either award, the rest, including Carrick, are just filler.

It'll be Bale or Suarez for the main award and Bale or Benteke for the YPOTY award.

You should probably be taken out of the running for YPOTY award if you've won the POTY award previously, though. Not sure what the scope of that award is but it should be about breakthrough seasons rather than a 23 year old who has been class for years. Seems weird to win POTY a few years before winning the YPOTY award.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Benteke should win the YPOTY imo

POTY is not so easy to say though, Very close between Suarez, RVP & Bale. All been consistent game changers for their clubs. I'll stick out my neck and say that Suarez should win because he has alot of goals and assists I think.

I think there has been better players this season than Carrick & Hazard, e.g. Michu & Baines

Wilshere & Welbeck nominated for the YPOTY is a joke tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Hazard & Carrick out
    Michu, Cazorla in.
    Carrick has been a more important player than either of the two you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Dempsey wrote: »
    I think there has been better players this season than Carrick & Hazard, e.g. Michu & Baines
    If Carrick wasn't English, this forum would have had him as a contender for POTY easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

If Carrick wasn't English, this forum would have had him as a contender for POTY easily.

I think Cazorla had a better season than Carrick, never mind the players I already mentioned as having a better season which included an Englishman. I'm speaking for myself, not the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Welbeck and Carrick were included as you have to have representation from the League Champions. Could have just as easily been Rafael & Ferdinand.

The biggest omission in my opinion (and quite suprised it hasn't been said yet) is the inclusion of Hazard over Steven Gerrard. He seems to have been overshadowed by Suarez, but I think he has been as, if not more instrumental to Liverpool this year than Carrick has been for Utd. Has moved deeper, changing his game, but amazingly he has played every single game this year!

I would liked to have seen Zabaleta included as well, but I couldn't put him ahead of the big 4 in RVP, Suarez, Bale & Mata.

Welbeck and Carrick were included as you have to have representation from the League Champions. Could have just as easily been Rafael & Ferdinand.

Is that a thing? As in, is that in the rules for this award?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Is that a thing? As in, is that in the rules for this award?

Not a rule, but it is logical thinking when picking nominations. Utd have been outstanding in their league performances this year so you have to acknowledge contributions from the team. It is fairly obvious every year. Same in the team of the year, you will see 5 Utd players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,665 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

I guess the problem with Carrick and players like him is that the work he does often goes unnoticed as it isn't exactly spectacular and doesn't stand out as much as Cazorla or Michu. But that doesn't lessen the importance of the contribution he has made to the team over the course of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I like the lists. Carrick gets into my shortlist. Nothing much I'd change tbh.

Not a rule, but it is logical thinking when picking nominations. Utd have been outstanding in their league performances this year so you have to acknowledge contributions from the team. It is fairly obvious every year. Same in the team of the year, you will see 5 Utd players.

This isn't logical thinking at all. It would be logical to say that as United have been the best team, their players are voted because they were the best players.

It's not some sort of lip service thing, like you seem to be suggesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The Young Player of the Year award needs a serious rethink. It should be Rookie of the Year, given to under-23s in their first season.

It's bollocks as it is.

so any guesses for PFA Team of the Season? obviously most of it can be easily guessed due to the nominees...

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Vertonghen----Ferdinand
    Baines
    Carrick
    Wilshere
    Mata
    Bale
    Suarez
    RVP

they'll give to Hart because he's Hart.

Zabaleta is the standout RB IMO, and apart from Rafael there's no others to challenge.

Baines, because he's been the best LB in the league this season, and he's been Everton's best player.

Vertonghen, because his form has been great, and I'd say they'll want another Spurs representative in the team of the year.

Ferdinand is in because he's English, he had a bit of press due to the England stuff, plus I'd assume there'll be more Utd representation in the team than any other, and rightly so.

for my own team, I'd change Hart to DDG, Ferdinand to Nastasic, and Wilshere to Gerrard. i'd put Michu in if balance isn't mattering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement