Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PFA Nominations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Carrick has been a more important player than either of the two you mentioned.

Wouldn't agree with that, regarding Michu. He's been a revelation for Swansea this year, not sure where all the goals he scored would have come from otherwise, especially to a team who sometimes don't play a regular centre forward. The team has been pretty much built around him this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

SlickRic wrote: »
    so any guesses for PFA Team of the Season? obviously most of it can be easily guessed due to the nominees...

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Vertonghen----Ferdinand
    Baines
    Carrick
    Wilshere
    Mata
    Bale
    Suarez
    RVP

This. But Probably DDG for Hart as he has been better, and Hart was very poor at times this season. Evra for Baines and Gerrard for Wilshere.

Would like to have fitted in Carzola & Michu, but I can't make a case for either above those in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

so any guesses for PFA Team of the Season? obviously most of it can be easily guessed due to the nominees...

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Vertonghen----Ferdinand
    Baines
    Carrick
    Wilshere
    Mata
    Bale
    Suarez
    RVP

they'll give to Hart because he's Hart.

Zabaleta is the standout RB IMO, and apart from Rafael there's no others to challenge.

Baines, because he's been the best LB in the league this season, and he's been Everton's best player.

Vertonghen, because his form has been great, and I'd say they'll want another Spurs representative in the team of the year.

Ferdinand is in because he's English, he had a bit of press due to the England stuff, plus I'd assume there'll be more Utd representation in the team than any other, and rightly so.

for my own team, I'd change Hart to DDG, Ferdinand to Nastasic, and Wilshere to Gerrard. i'd put Michu in if balance isn't mattering.

Edit: Misread players name :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Hart
    Zabaleta
    Vertonghen----Ferdinand
    Baines
    Carrick
    Wilshere
    Mata
    Bale
    Suarez
    RVP

they'll give to Hart because he's Hart.

Zabaleta is the standout RB IMO, and apart from Rafael there's no others to challenge.

Baines, because he's been the best LB in the league this season, and he's been Everton's best player.

Vertonghen, because his form has been great, and I'd say they'll want another Spurs representative in the team of the year.

Ferdinand is in because he's English, he had a bit of press due to the England stuff, plus I'd assume there'll be more Utd representation in the team than any other, and rightly so.

for my own team, I'd change Hart to DDG, Ferdinand to Nastasic, and Wilshere to Gerrard. i'd put Michu in if balance isn't mattering.

I think since Hazard has been nominated, he might get in. Could see them putting Mata beside Carrick in midfield. I'd be surprised if Wilshere got in.

It's close between Raf and Zabaleta, that could go either way.

I'd put my house on Hart not getting on it, honestly think there's no chance. It'll be DDG, Begovic or Mignolet IMO, I'd have DDG as the favorite.

I agree with the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i thought i was going nuts.

nobody in their right mind would have Vermaelen in their team. give me a bit more credit than that :D

This isn't logical thinking at all. It would be logical to say that as United have been the best team, their players are voted because they were the best players.

It's not some sort of lip service thing, like you seem to be suggesting.

I'm not saying they are there just because they play for Utd. I'm saying that when you are 50-50 on players, those who play in the Champions team are obviously going to get the edge.

For instance DDG vs Hart vs Cech. DDG here has performed better over the season but there is not alot of difference in the three.

Evra vs Baines vs Clichy. Clichy hasn't played enough so will be ignored. Baines has been good but has he been better than Evra? At the start of the season Evra was by far the standout LB, and should get the nod here. The reason Baines is seriously considered is because he is English.

Ferdinand vs Kompany vs Ivanovic. Again over the season Ferdinand has been the most consistant and I think second to only Vertoghen at Spurs who has been excellent.

Carrick vs Gerrard vs Wilshere. I think Wilshere has had a fairly stop strat season with some excellent performaces but next to the other two it is hard to make a case for him. It's not about potential, but how well they have played this year.

RVP is self explanatory and imo the standout contender for Player of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Blatter wrote: »
    I'd put my house on Hart not getting on it, honestly think there's no chance. It'll be DDG, Begovic or Mignolet IMO, I'd have DDG as the favorite.

i hope Hart doesn't get it, but i just have this niggle that he'll be voted in.

it should be, as i said, DDG or i'd be happy if it was Mignolet. without Mignolet, it's quite scary to think where Sunderland might be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Carrick will probably win it you think?

If I was you I'd be getting on that at 100/1 on BV.

I meant United's POTY been most consistent player all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm not saying they are there just because they play for Utd. I'm saying that when you are 50-50 on players, those who play in the Champions team are obviously going to get the edge.

For instance DDG vs Hart vs Cech. DDG here has performed better over the season but there is not alot of difference in the three.

Evra vs Baines vs Clichy. Clichy hasn't played enough so will be ignored. Baines has been good but has he been better than Evra? At the start of the season Evra was by far the standout LB, and should get the nod here. The reason Baines is seriously considered is because he is English.

Ferdinand vs Kompany vs Ivanovic. Again over the season Ferdinand has been the most consistant and I think second to only Vertoghen at Spurs who has been excellent.

Carrick vs Gerrard vs Wilshere. I think Wilshere has had a fairly stop strat season with some excellent performaces but next to the other two it is hard to make a case for him. It's not about potential, but how well they have played this year.

How are the nominations done? I'm not sure of the process. Is it not just the top 6 players with the most votes? Or are they chosen a different way?

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I meant United's POTY been most consistent player all year.

He'll win it cause Ferguson said he should win it. Still find it funny when people are now referring to him as one of the most underated players in the premiership.

He was.

Now that everyone is saying it means the exact opposite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

they love overating these young English players
    Welbeck nominted for Young Player is a joke

i hope Hart doesn't get it, but i just have this niggle that he'll be voted in.

it should be, as i said, DDG or i'd be happy if it was Mignolet. without Mignolet, it's quite scary to think where Sunderland might be.

Honestly think he has made too many blunders for the majority of players to vote him as the best. Off the top of my head, he's made shocking blunders against Sunderland and Southampton and bad enough mistakes against Tottenham and a few other games. He's made 3 or 4 mistakes on England duty as well (v Sweden and Poland), which won't have helped him.

I will eat my hat if he gets in :pac:

I will eat my hat if he gets in :pac:

You wear a hat? Haven't seen many wearing hats nowadays :P

How are the nominations done? I'm not sure of the process. Is it not just the top 6 players with the most votes? Or are they chosen a different way?

I'm not sure of the process either tbh. Just commenting on how you would vote. When considering players for the season you would have to measure them against others in the same position, as I had done in the previous post. You would then vote on who you thought was the best suited in that position. Therefore it is not illogical to think that Utd will have the majority representation in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I like how the people how have no clue what they are talking about have identified themselves early on by saying Carrick should not been nominated. Utterly baffling. He is in contention to win it, to say he doesn't deserve to be nominated beggars belief.

Cazorla and Michu should be nailed on in that list, Hazard has had a good season but no better than those two. Welbeck's inclusion proved the English player bias in the YPOTY, he had a shocking first half of the season and only began to turn it around in February. Rafael and Nastasic are glaring omissions from the young list.

BUT, it's nothing new that this award ceremony is a crock of ****e, some should take it far less seriously than they do. Wouldn't be surprised if Bale got both awards and had a statue made in his honor outside the Sky Sports studios.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure of the process either tbh. Just commenting on how you would vote. When considering players for the season you would have to measure them against others in the same position, as I had done in the previous post. You would then vote on who you thought was the best suited in that position. Therefore it is not illogical to think that Utd will have the majority representation in the team.

You're giving the players too much credit. I doubt they watch half as much football as we do. No way they are weighing up players they way you suggest. A lot of it will come down playing against each other and what they see on MOTD or the videos provided to them for study purposes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

How so?

How so?

You'll see I preceeded it with 'In My Opinion'.

For me the big difference in Utd taking back the League is down to him. I haven't gone through the stats of each of his goals, but I would like to ask how many goals has he scored that didn't directly have an impact on the result?

Last weekend equaliser. Southampton hatrick in 3-2 win. Off the bench against WBA to score winner. Last kick of the game against City winner. That is just phenominal imo. How many players in the world does that, nevermind the premiership? I'd say you can count them on one hand.

For me the big difference in Utd taking back the League is down to him. I haven't gone through the stats of each of his goals, but I would like to ask how many goals has he scored that didn't directly have an impact on the result?

Last weekend equaliser. Southampton hatrick in 3-2 win. Off the bench against WBA to score winner. Last kick of the game against City winner. That is just phenominal imo. How many players in the world does that, nevermind the premiership? I'd say you can count them on one hand.

Suarez has surpassed him this year, as much as it pains me it admit it. Even though RVP got a couple of goals in the last couple of matches, he hasn't looked sharp. He's been below par and looking tired for pretty much the last 1/3 of the season. He hasn't even been United's best player.

Suarez has surpassed him this year, as much as it pains me it admit it. Even though RVP got a couple of goals in the last couple of matches, he hasn't looked sharp. He's been below par and looking tired for pretty much the last 1/3 of the season. He hasn't even been United's best player.

Agreed, but he has won the title by that stage. I'd nearly expect if Utd had completely somehow blown it he would turn it on again. He has done exactly what you need him to do, and done it in style.

Not diminishing the performances of Suarez or Bale this year. But I would liken this three way to Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta.

EDIT: I should probably CLREARLY state that I am not saying the three are in any way related to their abilities. Just that when trying to pick between the three is as hard as it is with Messi, Ronaldo and Iniesta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Last weekend goal was a penalty. His goal vs west ham was offside and his goal against city was heavily deflected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,986 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Keno 92 wrote: »
    Take out Wilshere and Welbeck and put in De Gea and/or Rafael.

These awards are a crock of sh1t anyway.
    De Gea? You have got to be kidding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    I like how the people how have no clue what they are talking about have identified themselves early on by saying Carrick should not been nominated. Utterly baffling. He is in contention to win it, to say he doesn't deserve to be nominated beggars belief.

Cazorla and Michu should be nailed on in that list, Hazard has had a good season but no better than those two. Welbeck's inclusion proved the English player bias in the YPOTY, he had a shocking first half of the season and only began to turn it around in February. Rafael and Nastasic are glaring omissions from the young list.

BUT, it's nothing new that this award ceremony is a crock of ****e, some should take it far less seriously than they do. Wouldn't be surprised if Bale got both awards and had a statue made in his honor outside the Sky Sports studios.

Who would you leave off the list so? You have Carrick, Michu and Cazorla as nailed on, so you have to leave out three of Suarez, Bale, RVP, Mata, Baines and Zabeletta??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

eagle eye wrote: »

Come on, why shouldn't De Gea be nominated for Young player of the year?
    Last weekend goal was a penalty. His goal vs west ham was offside and his goal against city was heavily deflected

you going to find something wrong with his goals against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal too?

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

Xavi6 wrote: »
    We're constantly told that you know less about the game if you haven't played at the highest level, then you see some of these nominations...

Senior award - In Michu, out Hazard

Young - In Nastasic and Rafael, out Wilshere and one league goal Welbeck.

100% agree.

Hazard has done far less throughout the whole season than Michu has, and Welbeck and Wilshere seem to be in there on a combination of being English and previous seasons. not based on performances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Wilshere's been good this season. Hardly a 'joke' that hes been nominated, though I can understand frustrations as he simply hasn't played enough games (though its young player so maybe that's accepted?). Bale however is too old for that award imo and Wellbeck's been average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

GavRedKing wrote: »
    If you start the season at 23 you can be included in the list, didnt Aguero make last years YPOTY list?

Yup and i think kyle walker won it despite aguero single handidly winning city the title :pac:

The age rules in sport are quite strange, jordan henderson will captain england at the u21 euros depite turning 23 in mid june.

Would love to see baines get some recognition one day, only phillip lahm is ahead of him as a lb in europe imo.

klose wrote: »
    Yup and i think kyle walker won it despite aguero single handidly winning city the title :pac:

The age rules in sport are quite strange, jordan henderson will captain england at the u21 euros depite turning 23 in mid june.

Would love to see baines get some recognition one day, only phillip lahm is ahead of him as a lb in europe imo.

Aguero scored the winning goal, to suggest he single handidly won the title is absurd and the voting took place before that goal AFAIK.

No problem with teh age rule for the u21 championships, the rule is that if you were u21 during the qualifying stages you are eligble for the championships, seems perfectly fair, agree that using 23 as the cut off for YPOTY is outdated and needs to be lowered.

Baines ommission is shocking IMO and further indication that for a defender to make the list is becoming increasingly difficult, he has been superb and unlike some on the list has held he's form throughout the season.

408.jpg

Overview of the nominees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

klose wrote: »

Jordi Alba is streets ahead of Baines.

• Advertisement

AdamD wrote: »
    Wilshere's been good this season. Hardly a 'joke' that hes been nominated, though I can understand frustrations as he simply hasn't played enough games (though its young player so maybe that's accepted?). Bale however is too old for that award imo and Wellbeck's been average.

Im an Arsenal fan and I dont think he should be on the list at all, as he hasnt played enough, but fcuk if Danny Wellbeck is on the list I think Jack should be on it twice ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Liam O wrote: »

Maybe because Simon Mignolet has been better (best in the league) and is also eligible?

Maybe because Simon Mignolet has been better (best in the league) and is also eligible?

Just because a keeper makes loads of saves doesn't make him the best in the league. Cech, Lloris and De Gea have been ahead of Mignolet this season, and I rate Mignolet quite highly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Aguero scored the winning goal, to suggest he single handidly won the title is absurd and the voting took place before that goal AFAIK..

It did indeed, it was a bit far to say he single handidly won it it but he scored and assisted aload of goals for them, the fact walker won it says alot about these kind of awards

CSF wrote: »
    Forgot about him :pac: easy to forget hes a full back when he has the luxary of basically playing as second winger for most of barcas games given their system

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

eagle eye wrote: »

lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

The welsh Messi will win it by a country mile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Bellamy plays in the championship :pac:

If Ramsey won it there would be mass panic amongst terrorist organisations worldwide. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

AdamD wrote: »
    If Ramsey won it there would be mass panic amongst terrorist organisations worldwide. :pac:

All joking aside, I think hes talking about Joe Allen

• Advertisement

How did Hazard and Welbeck make those lists?

Because football players are as thick as fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Shane St.

Santi101 wrote: »
    Yep fairly sure they have been.

The PFA awards have become farcical in recent years though. Bale won it in 2011 when there were a number of more deserving winners....he won it on the back of destroying Maicon which funnily enough has nothing to do with the PL season.

Giggs in 09 was even worse. Lifetime achievement award if I've ever seen one.

Any of Bale/Suarez/RVP are deserving this year...I'd say 1. Suarez 2. Bale 3. RVP. Bale will win as his patch of great form is fresher in the memory of some, he wasnt too great before Xmas bar a couple of games tbh.

Ur talking nonsense!! Obv not going to get a balanced discussion on who is better judging by ur screen name. Cazorla is an excellent player but he has gone missing for a large chunk of the season.
    Carrick has been consistently excellent for Utd this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

There's only one reason Welbeck is in this list anyway. It was the same a few years ago when Giggs won it. I reckon the 'ballots' went out the week Welbeck had a good game in Madrid (conspiracy theory). Was the same with Giggs, played less than half a season but got MOTM in a game on the box the week of the voting.

daithijjj wrote: »
    There's only one reason Welbeck is in this list anyway. It was the same a few years ago when Giggs won it. I reckon the 'ballots' went out the week Welbeck had a good game in Madrid (conspiracy theory). Was the same with Giggs, played less than half a season but got MOTM in a game on the box the week of the voting.

The Ballots went out the end of March and closed at the start of April, so i don't think that's the whole reason.

The performance in Madrid would have had an impact though obviously. He's had a good season for England as well which probably would have helped. I'd say the other thing that helped him get votes is the fact that he comes across as a really nice and well mannered lad, probably made a fair few friends on England duty and that.

Not arguing that he should be on the list at all (he shouldn't be), just brainstorming as to why he is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

The Ballots went out the end of March and closed at the start of April, so i don't think that's the whole reason.

The performance in Madrid would have had an impact though obviously. He's had a good season for England as well which probably would have helped. I'd say the other thing that helped him get votes is the fact that he comes across as a really nice and well mannered lad, probably made a fair few friends on England duty and that.

Not arguing that he should be on the list at all (he shouldn't be), just brainstorming as to why he is!

Yea, i accept the point on dates, i didnt actually look into it. The fresh in the mind performances hold big weight though in these imo. How Michu hasnt made the list just shows that. 17 goals but only 4 in 2013.

Welbeck does come across well, not sure England duty would get you that many votes though, not that many English in the EPL :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Ginola won this in 1999.

Just trying even it out a little.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Yea, i accept the point on dates, i didnt actually look into it. The fresh in the mind performances hold big weight though in these imo. How Michu hasnt made the list just shows that. 17 goals but only 4 in 2013.

Welbeck does come across well, not sure England duty would get you that many votes though, not that many English in the EPL :pac:
    Yep, only reason I know the dates is because I have a large enough bet on Bale winning it and went looking for it as obviously it's very important when the vote takes place!

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

Liam O wrote: »

you going to find something wrong with his goals against Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal too?
    No you gave examples of the important goals he scored and some of them were easy/lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Add Alaba, Coentrao and Marcelo to that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

THFC wrote: »
    Add Alaba, Coentrao and Marcelo to that list.
    I'd have Baines ahead of Coentrao.

I'd have Baines ahead of Coentrao.

Really? Coentrao has proved himself in some really big games, alright Baines hasn't really had that opportunity but Baines lacks the pure pace to be a real top level full back imo. His great technique goes some way to making up for it obviously but compared to some of the other notable full backs he doesn't get up and down the line quickly enough imo.

I'd have Coentrao over Marcelo and Alaba in that position.

• Advertisement
Advertisement