Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migration Statistics

Options
  • 19-04-2013 12:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47

Do any statistics exist which tell us the level of impact the various invading groups (Vikings and Normans) had on irish demographics? Percentage wise, how much of the population would these of made up?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

Do any statistics exist which tell us the level of impact the various invading groups (Vikings and Normans) had on irish demographics? Percentage wise, how much of the population would these of made up?

I am not sure about the Normans but regarding Vikings there is a high level of uncertainty as there is absolutely no historical records. Some archaeological isotopic studies have been done and they indicate the population of Viking Dublin was mostly native Irish. I think the authors argued that the numbers of Viking was rather small and that these settlements were rapidly dominated by Irish migrants. Yet I think we may need to wait for some ancient DNA studies of Irish archaeological human before we get a real good grasp of this topic.

Have a read of the new book by Mallory 'Origin of the Irish'. He might look at the topic. I am not sure.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

The Normans who came to Ireland were mostly based in Wales and had come from Normandy in the 1066 invasion. It seems that only about 4,000 Normans moved over from Normandy to Britain. The Normans had a habit of marrying natives so Norman surnames became common but the DNA became diluted pretty rapidly. Similarly in Ireland very few crossed over and again they integrated with the natives very rapidly.

Advertisement