Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vokera Mynute 25a pump noise

• 19-04-2013 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭

Hi guys, I'm just after installing a vokera mynute 25a gas boiler installed bout 2 weeks ago. I've just after getting a call back because the householder has noticed that the pump has just after starting making a loud humming/vibrating noise from it when I have the boiler on, it's also like u can hear a slushing sound from the pump, a crackling noise , pump is also fairly hot. It does not make this noise straight away only after its being on about 20 mins and just when hot water is selected. House has 3 zones UF, 1st floor and 2nd floor ( two motorised valves) room stat on each floor and cylinder stat Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

martineire wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'm just after installing a vokera mynute 25a gas boiler installed bout 2 weeks ago. I've just after getting a call back because the householder has noticed that the pump has just after starting making a loud humming/vibrating noise from it when I have the boiler on, it's also like u can hear a slushing sound from the pump, a crackling noise , pump is also fairly hot. It does not make this noise straight away only after its being on about 20 mins and just when hot water is selected. House has 3 zones UF, 1st floor and 2nd floor ( two motorised valves) room stat on each floor and cylinder stat Any ideas?

Did you flush the system prior to installing the boiler?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

+ 1 on the flushing,
    also it sounds to me that there is still air in the system and its not venting properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭martineire

I gave it a hot and cold flush. House and heating system is bout 3 years old. I vented all rads and vented boiler at the vent point on top of boiler. Was not making noise for the first couple of weeks. Boiler is covered for parts and labour for 2 years, vokera heating engineer is calling out Monday morning

I gave it a hot and cold flush. House and heating system is bout 3 years old. I vented all rads and vented boiler at the vent point on top of boiler. Was not making noise for the first couple of weeks. Boiler is covered for parts and labour for 2 years, vokera heating engineer is calling out Monday morning

What chemicals did u use when flushing?

Fernox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

+1 on the Vokera call out. If the pump is getting very hot it could be a faulty pump.

If the flow and return were reversed could that cause a problem?

If the flow and return were reversed could that cause a problem?

Honestly don't know what'd happen. I've seen it on a vokera and it was not going into high fire for some reason. That's not your situation though. If there's no other pumps on the system I can't see it being an issue except for at the cyclinder

No other pumps on the system, why what problem could u see at the cylinder? Vokera engineer was out today, apparently he said he couldn't pin point the problem, and said its prob a faulty pump, so he replaced the pump head but the householder said the problem still exists.

No other pumps on the system, why what problem could u see at the cylinder? Vokera engineer was out today, apparently he said he couldn't pin point the problem, and said its prob a faulty pump, so he replaced the pump head but the householder said the problem still exists.
    The problem at the cyclinder would be that the flow is on the bottom coil and return on top. Is it a sealed system?

• Advertisement

Yes it is a sealed system. I could be wrong but I couldn't see the flow to the bottom of cylinder being a problem really, don't some plumbers actually pipe the flow to the bottom cylinder anyway.

Yes it is a sealed system. I could be wrong but I couldn't see the flow to the bottom of cylinder being a problem really, don't some plumbers actually pipe the flow to the bottom cylinder anyway.

Ye they do. As I said its probably the only thing that wouldn't be the norm that's all.

Think I might have cracked the problem, there is no bypass on the system just after goin back and having a look. The old boiler must of havin a bypass build into the boiler.

Think I might have cracked the problem, there is no bypass on the system just after goin back and having a look. The old boiler must of havin a bypass build into the boiler.

U sure there's no bypass in this boiler?
    If the bypass was the problem then the noise would only happen when all zones are closed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

As far as I know all of the Mynute system boilers have built in Bypass Valves so that is unlikely the problem.
    Are all the rads heating correctly and does the noise occur while the system is heating up?

Sorry men just after looking up the manual this boiler has a bypass cartridge build into the manifold. So then I presume this boiler does not need an external bypass to be installed. Now I'm scratching my head again.

Yea when the boiler is on about 20 mins and everything is heating up nicely the pump starts making a very loud vibrating noise, fiddle around with the pump speeds it seems to help

Sorry men just after looking up the manual this boiler has a bypass cartridge build into the manifold. So then I presume this boiler does not need an external bypass to be installed. Now I'm scratching my head again.

Yea when the boiler is on about 20 mins and everything is heating up nicely the pump starts making a very loud vibrating noise, fiddle around with the pump speeds it seems to help

Is there an inline filter that maybe partially blocked. Definately no harm to have an external bypass by the way. Furthest from the boiler is best. Send DGOBS a pm and your Rgi number and you'll be given access to the Rgi tech forum. Maybe one of the lads there have come across this problem before. They've helped me out alot in the past

Yea my guess there is a blockage at the bypass cartridge, ill inspect tomorrow and all will be revealed. thanks and yea ill pm DGOBS my RGI number so I can't access that forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭esox28

From what you have posted the vibrating only starts when dhw is selected and bout 20min into heat time which could be the bypass valve actually opening and closing at a fast rate much like water hammer on mains supplies, two things to- do to check is open the balancing valve on cylinders coil, also as Dtp was saying install a bypass at the further point in the system.

Also +1 on removing the bypass and checking for dirt blocking up, also the old plumbers trick of blowing through it, needs to be moderate force to open roughly (very roughly)

Advertisement