Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to a new office, Q on working hours / breaks...

Options
  • 19-04-2013 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

My company is relocating to a new office in the North, and I will be working there for a month to help them transition and train the person they are hiring to replace me. (I was offered the job, but turned it down) I have been told there will be no changes to my working conditions. I spent a day working at the new office last week and quickly realised that nobody takes any breaks, and the all eat at their desks.

Right now, I work 37.5 hours per week, get 1 hour for lunch, and two 15 min paid breaks. I know the breaks are not statutory requirements, and they aren't written into my contract, but they were agreed verbally when I started.

I'm planning to just take a 30 min lunch break, and one 15 min break, which would allow me to finish 45 mins earlier than usual. I know there will be a few eyebrows raised at this in the office, as everyone else works from 40 hours per week, with no breaks. But as far as I am concerned, I am entitled to it, because I've agreed there will be no change to my working conditions.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

That would be you changing the working conditions, no? They may expect that someone should be able to contact you up to the close of business. Talk to them about it and see if some arrangement can be made. I can't see you being entitled to force the change.

Advertisement