Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Doctors Name {Spoilers - All of Session 7}

• 19-04-2013 1:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭

1WEhKutl.jpg

Full Sized Image :

http://i.imgur.com/1WEhKut.jpg

So are we going to find out something that should not be spoken in the session final!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,276 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The backlash if they do this will be phenomenal...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Yeah I seriously doubt they will, good way to get people talking about the end of the series though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Maybe his name is actually John Smith? :) Or Bond, James Bond.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Trenzalore so? Assuming his secret will be revealed to River.

There's not a hope of Moffat revealing his name to the viewer. Such a troll :D

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Trenzalore so? Assuming his secret will be revealed to River.

There's not a hope of Moffat revealing his name to the viewer. Such a troll :D

Has to be revealed to River. Then she leaves for the Library and meets 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Oh, so this is a real poster? I saw it on Facebook but assumed it was fan-made

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Has to be revealed to River. Then she leaves for the Library and meets 10

She already knows his name, I thought he revealed it to her when he married her?

Yeah, I don't think they would reveal his name either, there'll be a last minute saving of the day.

Either that or I call Walter Henry Oswald.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

She already knows his name, I thought he revealed it to her when he married her?

He was telling River that the Doctor she was marrying was, in fact, a Teselecta. He made up the name business to throw off Amy & Rory, for some reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    He was telling River that the Doctor she was marrying was, in fact, a Teselecta. He made up the name business to throw off Amy & Rory, for some reason.

Oh yes, I remember that now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I think its fair to say the audience won't be told his actual name; tho wonder does it mean we'll see The Silence return.

Lol, I doubt the BBC even 'know' what his name is; there was never any reason for them to pick one was there? I don't think Moffat is arrogant enough to think he can decide what the Doctor's name is and thus redefine both the show's long past and (hopefully) long future beyond his reign!

Also, yeah, he's a known troll :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Lol, I doubt the BBC even 'know' what his name is; there was never any reason for them to pick one was there? I don't think Moffat is arrogant enough to think he can decide what the Doctor's name is and thus redefine both the show's long past and (hopefully) long future beyond his reign!

Also, yeah, he's a known troll :P

Yeah, there's two separate statements on the poster - one, "The Name of the Doctor" is the name of the episode I assume and the other is "His Secret Revealed". That Secret could be anything - that he only ever wears red boxers on a Tuesday for all we know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

"There’s going to be a revelation. I’m not teasing. I’m not wrong-footing you – you’re about to learn something about the Doctor that you never knew before. And I think you’re in for a shock."

Source and possibly the best headline ever.

That fact Moffat isn't stating what the revelation is makes me think it's not his name.

Agree, K_B.

But sweet baby jebus, Moffat is the uber-troll. Fecker.

I'm reveling at the prospect of discovering exactly why Dr's birthname is a no-go. In RTD's Who, there was a few references to it; how it was locked firmly within the Medusa Cascade, and that it was the Doctor who singlehandedly installed said lock.

The storytelling potential in this mythos intrigues me greatly. Not, in any form, am I anticipating a proper reveal. It'll be Moffat-ed to something like the revelation comes, but the audience, or any character liable to utter it, won't be able to understand it. It could also just be a decoy for another epic-Smith speech; where silence falls and the question's asked, but the question's 'who are you?' instead of 'what's your name?'.

^^

Very true. No one's asking 'what's your name?' They're asking who he is.

Looking forward to see where they end up going the Trenzalore thing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's a rumour knocking about - and for now that's precisely what it is because it's totally unverified - as to who John Hurt will be playing and frankly it's a doozy, if not completely insane.

I won't give any details because the whole thing is so off the wall it nearly defies spoiler text. Also I'm a total dramatist :D

pixelburp wrote: »
    There's a rumour knocking about - and for now that's precisely what it is because it's totally unverified - as to who John Hurt will be playing and frankly it's a doozy, if not completely insane.

I won't give any details because the whole thing is so off the wall it nearly defies spoiler text. Also I'm a total dramatist :D

If I google this and it turns out to be true how annoyed will I be that I've spoiled it? 'Cause I'm tempted but if it's really good then I don't want to have ruined it for myself.

Like I said, it's totally unverified, so there's a strong chance it's all bullpoop; I'm not sure I'd classify the revelation as 'good' though. Definitely something that'd get people talking.

I just googled it, interesting to say the least. Not sure how I'd feel about it if it were true.

Part of me secretly hopes Moffat trolls even farther and says his name is 'John Smith'.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Coldzone

I just googled it, interesting to say the least. Not sure how I'd feel about it if it were true.

I just googled it aswell and while it is interesting I couldnt see it happening well I hope not

It’s full of surprises and questions that have never been answered in the history of Who, including the Doctors greatest secret. We’re not pretending, we’re not kidding, it’s actually going to happen. The episode is called The Name of the Doctor and involves our hero in a conflict that is very, very personal to him. Usually he’s saving other people, but this time he might be the one who needs to be saved. We’ll also find out what makes his new companion so impossible and there’s a surprise that no one has got right so far, and one that will change the course of Who forever!

Source

So basically they're not messing, his biggest secret will be revealed it just won't be his name. I'm so fed up with his trolling...

Source

So basically they're not messing, his biggest secret will be revealed it just won't be his name. I'm so fed up with his trolling...

To me, it's the last line of that quote that's the most intriguing: "...one that will change the course of Who forever!". That's a fairly bold statement to make; it's one thing to insist that you're not faking and will totally reveal a secret - we're well used to doubletalk and fake-outs from the producers by now - it's quite another to claim the surprise will somehow shake-up the entire series & its canon

Actually kinda worried now!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭NaNaNa1

Wasn't the working/rumoured title the Funeral of River Song? Clues perhaps? Some posts online are speculating the Doctor will visit Trenzalore http://tardis.wikia.com/wiki/Trenzalore

To me, it's the last line of that quote that's the most intriguing: "...one that will change the course of Who forever!". That's a fairly bold statement to make; it's one thing to insist that you're not faking and will totally reveal a secret - we're well used to doubletalk and fake-outs from the producers by now - it's quite another to claim the surprise will somehow shake-up the entire series & its canon

Actually kinda worried now!

You make a good point but at the same time Moffat is horrifically arrogant and loves to talk himself up.

When has he talked himself up? Can't say I agree with that; I've read & seen plenty of obvious teasing or bigging up of the show, and he certainly loves gushing about the actors - but then no more than RTD used to do back in the day. 'Horrifically arrogant' seems a touch unfair - besides, between Doctor Who & Sherlock, the man at least has some reason to feel cocksure at the moment anyway...

Horrifically may be bit too far but he is arrogant. He hasn't talked himself up too much in regards Doctor Who but I remember with Sherlock he did a lot of talking about how well made all the episodes were and how it was better than most things in the cinema and how good a job he did on the finale. Its a long time since I read the interview(s) in question so I cant find exact quotes but I remember feeling he came off quite arrogant as did the person I read it with at the time. Look I'm not trying to cause trouble or have a pop at the man, even if he is arrogant he makes good telly (I've got some issues with some thing he writes but it would be weird not to). I just think he overstates some things sometimes because he feels he's so clever to have written something so clever. I feel he did that quite a bit with River Song. But that's just the impression of him I have, I could be completely wrong.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Horrifically may be bit too far but he is arrogant. He hasn't talked himself up too much in regards Doctor Who but I remember with Sherlock he did a lot of talking about how well made all the episodes were and how it was better than most things in the cinema and how good a job he did on the finale. .

well, he's right about that.

Whatever about Moffat having Clara finding out his name tonight does make me wonder....even if she did conveniently lose the memory at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

Like I said, it's totally unverified, so there's a strong chance it's all bullpoop; I'm not sure I'd classify the revelation as 'good' though. Definitely something that'd get people talking.

Hmmmm... I wouldn't be too keen on it. Too much mucking about with canon, for a start. However,
    instead of rejigging the numbers of the past few Doctors, if Hurt is going to be a 'Doctor' of sorts I'd love to see them bring back The Valeyard.

I don't dig Valeyard all that much. I mean, it was a cool enough idea, but it wasn't exactly well realized, in role or writing. I refer of course to its run in 'Trial of a Timelord', and not whatever Big Finish's done with the role since. There's also the fact that the character's too abstract, in that he exists, but not really, yet could, but won't, yet also might; that tends to get jarring very quickly.

The Dreamlord, on the other hand, is something with a lot of life that's yet to be tapped. Much better in terms of doppelgangeryness, and the story and scene potential that comes in tow enthuses me far more than Valeyard. You can even drag in older Doctors and have their agedness and whatnot be attributed to Dreamlord's messing. Dreamlord also doesn't take an awful lot of time to explain either; parasite tries to kill you via your dreams, using your own nastiness as the means.

I don't dig Valeyard all that much. I mean, it was a cool enough idea, but it wasn't exactly well realized, in role or writing. I refer of course to its run in 'Trial of a Timelord', and not whatever Big Finish's done with the role since. There's also the fact that the character's too abstract, in that he exists, but not really, yet could, but won't, yet also might; that tends to get jarring very quickly.

The Dreamlord, on the other hand, is something with a lot of life that's yet to be tapped. Much better in terms of doppelgangeryness, and the story and scene potential that comes in tow enthuses me far more than Valeyard. You can even drag in older Doctors and have their agedness and whatnot be attributed to Dreamlord's messing. Dreamlord also doesn't take an awful lot of time to explain either; parasite tries to kill you via your dreams, using your own nastiness as the means.
    I thought the idea of The Valeyard was great, but agree that yes, it was poorly executed. I do think that there's loads more potential there to explore the idea, though, especially with recent episodes like 'Hide' drawing attention again to The Doctor's darker nature ("There's a sliver of ice in his heart"). When the Dream Lord was revealed in 'Amy's Choice', the first thing I thought was that he was The Valeyard, or at least some aspect of that character. I'd love to see them take a few risks and fully unleash that side of The Doctor.

Lads, there's a big ol' spoiler tag in the thread name, don't think there's a need for the second layer!

Brother's a cryptographer, it's in the blood.
    I missed the 'spoiler' notice in the OP.

Oops, my fault. That'll teach me to pay more attention when I have several Boards Who threads open at once.

So, this's interesting.

936702_493685254019504_640193149_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

What??? But! What??

ugh. If they choose to someone give River a (non-computerised) life after the library I will be very angry. I can't see them doing it but I'd be annoyed if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Theres a theory that its the Tardis Library and thats how she actually learns the Doctors name!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The prequel for the final episode is a tease :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

One of the trailers has
    Bessie driving past Clara.

ugh. If they choose to someone give River a (non-computerised) life after the library I will be very angry. I can't see them doing it but I'd be annoyed if they did.

Given the snippet of Prof.Song in the trail for the finale, it seems she's dressed in the library white and only present on the periphery of the TARDIS, similar to the holograms that've appeared; this leads me to think the library computer 'heaven' somehow meshes with the TARDIS to bring her through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Given the snippet of Prof.Song in the trail for the finale, it seems she's dressed in the library white and only present on the periphery of the TARDIS, similar to the holograms that've appeared; this leads me to think the library computer 'heaven' somehow meshes with the TARDIS to bring her through.

yup and the river and the doctor will finally have their timelines flowing in sequence. ahh...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

So what is the Doctor's Name?

It's probably not
    I M Foreman
    and less likely to be
    I am For Man
    but you never know ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Apolloyon wrote: »
    So what is the Doctor's Name?

It's probably not
    I M Foreman
    and less likely to be
    I am For Man
    but you never know ;).

Surely it's
    Batman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,257 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gambler wrote: »
    Surely it's
    Batman!

Turns out it was
    Jeff
    . Who'd of thunk it. :pac:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the New Adventures novels make a stab at filling in some blanks & who the Doctor might be? I don't think they went as far as name, but I vaguely recall one of them dropped some fairly big hints...

Yeah, I think they said he might be some other character...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The 7th Doc in a deleted scene from Remembrance of The Daleks and I think another episode is referred to as "more than just a time lord"