Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Doctors Name {Spoilers - All of Session 7}

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Interrobang

pixelburp wrote: »
    Like I said, it's totally unverified, so there's a strong chance it's all bullpoop; I'm not sure I'd classify the revelation as 'good' though. Definitely something that'd get people talking.

Hmmmm... I wouldn't be too keen on it. Too much mucking about with canon, for a start. However,
    instead of rejigging the numbers of the past few Doctors, if Hurt is going to be a 'Doctor' of sorts I'd love to see them bring back The Valeyard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

I don't dig Valeyard all that much. I mean, it was a cool enough idea, but it wasn't exactly well realized, in role or writing. I refer of course to its run in 'Trial of a Timelord', and not whatever Big Finish's done with the role since. There's also the fact that the character's too abstract, in that he exists, but not really, yet could, but won't, yet also might; that tends to get jarring very quickly.

The Dreamlord, on the other hand, is something with a lot of life that's yet to be tapped. Much better in terms of doppelgangeryness, and the story and scene potential that comes in tow enthuses me far more than Valeyard. You can even drag in older Doctors and have their agedness and whatnot be attributed to Dreamlord's messing. Dreamlord also doesn't take an awful lot of time to explain either; parasite tries to kill you via your dreams, using your own nastiness as the means.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    I don't dig Valeyard all that much. I mean, it was a cool enough idea, but it wasn't exactly well realized, in role or writing. I refer of course to its run in 'Trial of a Timelord', and not whatever Big Finish's done with the role since. There's also the fact that the character's too abstract, in that he exists, but not really, yet could, but won't, yet also might; that tends to get jarring very quickly.

The Dreamlord, on the other hand, is something with a lot of life that's yet to be tapped. Much better in terms of doppelgangeryness, and the story and scene potential that comes in tow enthuses me far more than Valeyard. You can even drag in older Doctors and have their agedness and whatnot be attributed to Dreamlord's messing. Dreamlord also doesn't take an awful lot of time to explain either; parasite tries to kill you via your dreams, using your own nastiness as the means.
    I thought the idea of The Valeyard was great, but agree that yes, it was poorly executed. I do think that there's loads more potential there to explore the idea, though, especially with recent episodes like 'Hide' drawing attention again to The Doctor's darker nature ("There's a sliver of ice in his heart"). When the Dream Lord was revealed in 'Amy's Choice', the first thing I thought was that he was The Valeyard, or at least some aspect of that character. I'd love to see them take a few risks and fully unleash that side of The Doctor.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Lads, there's a big ol' spoiler tag in the thread name, don't think there's a need for the second layer!

Lads, there's a big ol' spoiler tag in the thread name, don't think there's a need for the second layer!

Brother's a cryptographer, it's in the blood.
    I missed the 'spoiler' notice in the OP.

• Advertisement

Oops, my fault. That'll teach me to pay more attention when I have several Boards Who threads open at once.

So, this's interesting.

936702_493685254019504_640193149_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

What??? But! What??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭Killer_banana

ugh. If they choose to someone give River a (non-computerised) life after the library I will be very angry. I can't see them doing it but I'd be annoyed if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Theres a theory that its the Tardis Library and thats how she actually learns the Doctors name!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The prequel for the final episode is a tease :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006q2x0

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

One of the trailers has
    Bessie driving past Clara.

:D

ugh. If they choose to someone give River a (non-computerised) life after the library I will be very angry. I can't see them doing it but I'd be annoyed if they did.

Given the snippet of Prof.Song in the trail for the finale, it seems she's dressed in the library white and only present on the periphery of the TARDIS, similar to the holograms that've appeared; this leads me to think the library computer 'heaven' somehow meshes with the TARDIS to bring her through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭T-Bird

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Given the snippet of Prof.Song in the trail for the finale, it seems she's dressed in the library white and only present on the periphery of the TARDIS, similar to the holograms that've appeared; this leads me to think the library computer 'heaven' somehow meshes with the TARDIS to bring her through.

yup and the river and the doctor will finally have their timelines flowing in sequence. ahh...

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Apolloyon

So what is the Doctor's Name?

It's probably not
    I M Foreman
    and less likely to be
    I am For Man
    but you never know ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

Apolloyon wrote: »
    So what is the Doctor's Name?

It's probably not
    I M Foreman
    and less likely to be
    I am For Man
    but you never know ;).

Surely it's
    Batman!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Gambler wrote: »
    Surely it's
    Batman!

Turns out it was
    Jeff
    . Who'd of thunk it. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the New Adventures novels make a stab at filling in some blanks & who the Doctor might be? I don't think they went as far as name, but I vaguely recall one of them dropped some fairly big hints...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't one of the New Adventures novels make a stab at filling in some blanks & who the Doctor might be? I don't think they went as far as name, but I vaguely recall one of them dropped some fairly big hints...

Yeah, I think they said he might be some other character...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

The 7th Doc in a deleted scene from Remembrance of The Daleks and I think another episode is referred to as "more than just a time lord"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Lungbarrow was the book The Doctor was originally known as The Other.

McLoughlin wrote: »

Some of us were trying to say that subtly :)

The Master wrote: »
    The 7th Doc in a deleted scene from Remembrance of The Daleks and I think another episode is referred to as "more than just a time lord"

The Cartmell master plan would also have ended up with the Doctor being one of the founders of time lord society, most likely the Other too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,634 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

McLoughlin wrote: »

Yeah, I had a look for it on Google; I read some of the New Adventure & 8th Doctor novels back in the day, but it seems I missed a lot of the denser mythology & broader arcs contained within the two book-runs. Just as well too because phew, some of the storylines got incredibly convoluted by the sounds of things (although it would be pretty epic if the show ever went in that direction itself)

Yeah, I had a look for it on Google; I read some of the New Adventure & 8th Doctor novels back in the day, but it seems I missed a lot of the denser mythology & broader arcs contained within the two book-runs. Just as well too because phew, some of the storylines got incredibly convoluted by the sounds of things (although it would be pretty epic if the show ever went in that direction itself)

It was kinda meant to in the McCoy era, if the show didn't get canned, but I assume you knew this already :)

Advertisement