Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15min break for 7/8 hour shifts?(PIC OF NOTE FROM EMPLOYER)

Options
  • 19-04-2013 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

I study a module called Employment Law and was shocked to see the how my boss was blatantly ignoring the Working Time Act...I'm not going to go into the details of the Act but I know it is:

Break Time
    Hours worked
    15mins
    4hrs
    30mins
    6hrs

I just need conformation that this "memo" left by my employer is clearly breaking the law as ALL staff work at least 7 or 8 hour shifts!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Is there a morning break earlier in the day ?

If so that accounts for your 30 mins and employer is fully compliant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

It seems like they're saying that tea breaks are only supposed to be 15 minutes long & if you're taking longer it will be docked. So the notice itself isn't breaking the law (although I dunno about the legality of deducting the extra time from your holidays). If you're only getting a 15 minute break on a 7-8 hour shift then that is illegal but separate from that notice I would have thought

Rest period info from here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭petersburg2002

If its just the one 15min break, then he is breaking the law. Otherwise see below:

http://www.employmentrights.ie/en/informationforemployees/workinghours/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

LOL @ "Also staff members are not aloud use their mobile phones"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

PaurGasm wrote: »
    I just need conformation that this "memo" left by my employer is clearly breaking the law as ALL staff work at least 7 or 8 hour shifts!

You can get some opinions here - and some well informed ones usually - but do not use this forum as a legal reference.

Edit: another thread in the legal discussion forum

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement