Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vat and import duty

Options
  • 19-04-2013 2:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Hi,there is 15 family and friends vaping at the moment and we decided to import a few months supply of liquids directly from Hangsen as we all love their juices.The bill has come to $950 including shipping and is on its way with DHL.

I know we have to pay vat @23% and custom charges but looking at the revenue website and my first time buying anything outside the EU i'm lost at what sort of bill we will receive next week.Has anyone any idea how much it should come to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Drachnien

Ifi t's coming via DHL then you'll definitely get hit.

at Minimum it'll be the 23% plus DHL's fee for dealing with customs (it was about €20) on top of this depending on what category they decide the liquids fit into you will have to pay import duties. problem with this part is it's up to the guy in customs to decide and can vary widely. anything from 0% up to an extra 50% .... if the import dury does apply then the 23% vat is applied AFTER to the new total.

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭ben36

Yeah the import duty is the one i'm having trouble finding out about.It's declared as essence oil

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

http://www.dutycalculator.com/popular-import-items/import-duty-and-taxes-for-e-liquid/

not sure how accurate it is for eliquid - however it should give you some idea

as far as i know essential oils are a 0% item but if they realize what it really is then there could be issues with the misclassification (e.g. sending it back, charging you the full amount)
    short version is your not really gonna know till dhl arrive with a bill :(

Thanks for the advice.Looks like i'll just wait and see what happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

ben36 wrote: »
    Hi,there is 15 family and friends vaping at the moment and we decided to import a few months supply of liquids directly from Hangsen as we all love their juices.The bill has come to $950 including shipping and is on its way with DHL.

I know we have to pay vat @23% and custom charges but looking at the revenue website and my first time buying anything outside the EU i'm lost at what sort of bill we will receive next week.Has anyone any idea how much it should come to?

It will really depend on what DHL have declared it as, the actual Cusoms Import Duty on manufactured tobacco substitutes and essences is 74.9% :eek:

Your total bill in that case would be in excess of €2k - but I wouldnt worry DHL will have lied and customs are understaffed and incompetent and it wont be detected, however if you start getting these delivery's regularly chances are it will be.

just out of curiosity - do you mind me asking how many litres of the stuff did you get for 950 dollars ?
    hangsen is dirt cheap here in Ireland already - I'm thinking pallet size ?!

It will really depend on what DHL have declared it as, the actual Cusoms Import Duty on manufactured tobacco substitutes and essences is 74.9% :eek:

Your total bill in that case would be in excess of €2k - but I wouldnt worry DHL will have lied and customs are understaffed and incompetent and it wont be detected, however if you start getting these delivery's regularly chances are it will be.

Holy Jaysus.I think it's time i started into looking in to diy.

just out of curiosity - do you mind me asking how many litres of the stuff did you get for 950 dollars ?
    hangsen is dirt cheap here in Ireland already - I'm thinking pallet size ?!
    No bother.We got 160 100 ml bottles.

......... 16 ....... liters .... o_0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

Drachnien wrote: »
    ......... 16 ....... liters .... o_0

it looks like a lot but if you vape an average of 4 ml a day that's only around 8 months though, not accounting for spillages/leakages. at 6ml a day it's around 5 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

16,000ml / 6ml = 2,666 days and 16 hours.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

divided by 16 people....

Yeah there is 16 of us altogether so should get in or around 6 months each from it.it was my idea to do it as it was falling on me to order the liquids for my family and a couple of the friends as they are clueless when ordering stuff online and with the place I was ordering from out of stock half the time this seems the best solution for a few months peace

Equals "piss off Digby!".

Dammit! If it weren't for you pesky kids... *fist shake*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

yeah i'd already divided by the 16 people there grinds. so less 'a yer sarcastic 'thanks' thinkin' i can't do sums :p

Eh, that's a sincere thanks actually. I'm a gracious loser.

Or as mandferguson would call me, a loser.

Just to follow up.Order arrived this morning and got no charge at all:confused:Is that it or can i expect a bill later on in the week?

ben36 wrote: »
    Just to follow up.Order arrived this morning and got no charge at all:confused:Is that it or can i expect a bill later on in the week?

From what I gather - if there's a charge they hold onto the stuff until you pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Vaperus

Sometimes you can get a follow up bill
    An Post will want paying before delivery
    Couriers can go either way, usually payment on delivery though

• Advertisement

Yup, I bought a keyboard a LONG time ago and three weeks later came my VAT bill for €120-ish quid. Flippin' flipheads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Hopefully you got away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I used to order quite a few Swords from china, never ever got charged Import Duty on them.... Posted through EMS in china, delivered by An Post

If it goes through DHL or Fedex you are screwed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Mr. Chrome

Yeah, Ive heard of people getting bills from dhl weeks after recieving the product, but what happens if you dont pay the vat bill?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

you dont get anything delivered by dhl again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Mr. Chrome wrote: »
    Yeah, Ive heard of people getting bills from dhl weeks after recieving the product, but what happens if you dont pay the vat bill?

They poo on your doorstep

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭platinums

goz83 wrote: »
    They poo on your doorstep

probably feed your cat aspirin too.

Advertisement