Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

4GB SanDisk Sansa Clip+ MP3/FM Radio/Voice Recorder Micro SD €22 Delivered [Ebay]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭johnny-grunge

EI2011 wrote: »
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/3903010/art/sandisk/sansa-clip-4-gb-mp3-playe.html
    anyone looking for new one this looks good deal... pixmania any good to order off before i go ahead an purchase?

I ordered a flat screen and wall mount from them in December. The wall mount had been opened before I received it and was missing parts. It took a few calls and emails to finally get a refund. It wasn't that they were purposely trying to screw me or anything. Just got the feeling they have some lazy customer care staff.
    have one ordered any ideas were to get the cheapest 16 or 32gb micro sd for it?

Check http://www.mymemory.co.uk/. I ordered a 32gb Sandisk Micro SD last week. Approx. €22 including delivery. Search the Bargain Alerts forum for "mymemory.co.uk codes". I got 5% off =]

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭crackity_jones

Thargor wrote: »
    I was going to order one to have as a spare as my Zen Vision M was giving up the ghost after so much abuse over the last 5 years, then today I got my bike back from the shop and was taking a quick spin to test it out and the Zen fell out of my pocket and got run over by a van:

I feel for you, man! As I mentioned before, mine was stolen from my car after I stupidly left it sitting on the passenger seat. So not only did I lose my faithful old friend (along with a painstakingly assembled music collection) I also had to get a smashed window repaired. Not good.

As you no doubt know you can pick up refurbished Vision:Ms on Ebay: For example

However, it's kinda hard to now justify laying out 120 euro, plus postage, for one when the Sansa is going for a fraction of that. It's a shame really. A great wee player that's becoming a collectors item and no sign of any successor from the manufacturers.

Enjoy the Clip Zip. Wear it well.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hmm must sell my own of these, the +volume button broke so i rockboxed it and you can turn up volume in the options now. Annoying problem with all the clip+'s. Great little player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

I posted this a few days back in: boards.ie > Tech > Consumer Electronics > Headphones & Portable Audio Devices

Here's what you get from itstor:

clipziprefurbamalgam.jpg

clipziprefurbsideamalga.jpg

If you're eagle eyed, you can get them priced as low as £16 odd, which is what mine was.. so, just above €20, with P&P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Does Rockbox boost the battery life on these?

Does Rockbox boost the battery life on these?

'boost' is probably not the best word, maybe 'extend'.

Depends on your settings, how fast you have the screen time out (switch off), the file format you're playing etc..

One question which bugged me was how the internal storage is 'viewed'. Basically, once you update your Database after loading music, the music is just there, listed, there's no internal and MicroSD listings, only if you want it listed that way.

Under Rockbox, you can also hide the internal storage and just have the MicroSD listed. Anything and everything really. Rockbox is like Playdoh. Just mould it into the player *you* want.

Amalgam wrote: »
    'boost' is probably not the best word, maybe 'extend'.

Depends on your settings, how fast you have the screen time out (switch off), the file format you're playing etc..

One question which bugged me was how the internal storage is 'viewed'. Basically, once you update your Database after loading music, the music is just there, listed, there's no internal and MicroSD listings, only if you want it listed that way.

Under Rockbox, you can also hide the internal storage and just have the MicroSD listed. Anything and everything really. Rockbox is like Playdoh. Just mould it into the player *you* want.
    Perfect thanks, btw the bit of your post Ive bolded is exactly what I want in a player, the 8 GB of internal storage on the one I bought will do me anyway now that my main collection has been uploaded to Google Music, I only have a few favourite albums and a bit of new stuff on the go at any given time.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Perfect thanks, btw the bit of your post Ive bolded is exactly what I want in a player, the 8 GB of internal storage on the one I bought will do me anyway now that my main collection has been uploaded to Google Music, I only have a few favourite albums and a bit of new stuff on the go at any given time.

And if that wasn't how you wanted it to be then you can also view the split folders via the folder via :D great lil device, I must pick up a spare one as my clip+ is gonna be 4 (or 5?) this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

How long is delivery taking?

Ordered this time yesterday and got a dispatch notice at 10 am anyway.

Ilyushin76 wrote: »
    How long is delivery taking?

Monday to Monday. 7 days, give or take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

However, it's kinda to now justify laying out 120. euro, plus postage, for one when the Sansa is going for a fraction of that. It's a shame really. A great wee player that's becoming a collectors item and no sign of any successor from the manufacturers.

Enjoy the Clip Zip. Wear it well.

I have often wondered why mp3 players topped out at 160g b when you can get 2tb portable drives now. I guess most people don't want to carry more than 32gb of music (or even have that much). The other problem only became apparent after looking for iPod classic repair, 1.8" low power shock proof drives are hard to make ! Give it another while I guess and 128gb sds will come out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Zardoz

Just ordered a 4Gb Fuze+ for 27.09 euro ,will put Rockbox on it and it should be sweet.

imitation wrote: »
    I have often wondered why mp3 players topped out at 160g b when you can get 2tb portable drives now. I guess most people don't want to carry more than 32gb of music (or even have that much). The other problem only became apparent after looking for iPod classic repair, 1.8" low power shock proof drives are hard to make ! Give it another while I guess and 128gb sds will come out.

most mp3 players are flash based now. to power a hard-drive you need more energy. also hard-drives are bigger than flash-memory, making players bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

imitation wrote: »

The 160gb drives were 1.8" zif drives the 2TB portables are 2.5" Sata drives. The biggest drive you can get in an iPod is a 240GB by a 3rd party. Some laptops and netbooks also used 1.8" zif drives, (or 1.8" SSDs) but there are getting hard to find, as few places are making them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Cheers op, bought one this morning

Monday to Monday. 7 days, give or take.
    Can anyone else confirm this or was this poster just unlucky? Was hoping to have mine by Friday, cant stand using my Android phone as an mp3 player its so infuriating it ruins the music, you need physical buttons that you can use in your pocket without looking, the touchscreen and the lockscreen make it suchan unuseable mess.

The Winamp app has lockscreen controls but its still such a pain in the ass to use, is there any better player out there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭delynet

I ordered one last Friday and it arrived this morning.

Excellent little thing, just be sure to read about the low volume 'issue' further up in this thread. Easy to get around the Euro nanny setting by setting the region to rest of world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Got my Zip this morning.

Cool little player. Need to find an SD card now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

delynet wrote: »
    I ordered one last Friday and it arrived this morning.

Excellent little thing, just be sure to read about the low volume 'issue' further up in this thread. Easy to get around the Euro nanny setting by setting the region to rest of world

Rockbox all the way.. :cool::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

How do you reset the volume setting?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Somewhere in the settings menu there should be an option to reset to default, or reset to factory settings. Do that. You'll be brought to the initial setup screen and asked to select your location, insead of europe choose rest of world.

Somewhere in the settings menu there should be an option to reset to default, or reset to factory settings. Do that. You'll be brought to the initial setup screen and asked to select your location, insead of europe choose rest of world.

Does that format the memory?

Quite possibly, but I can't recall. It won't take long to back everything up before hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

How do you reset the volume setting?

already posted
    donnacha wrote: »
    Cheers OP. Just bought a clip+.

For anyone else getting on this you'll probably need to do a quick factory reset to get over EU sound restrictions: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7890/~/sansa-player-volume-is-too-low

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

quick question if i filled the device 4gb memory and a full 32gb sd card does the player have to refresh sd card every time you power on device or sync new data? if so does the refresh take ages

Takes just a few seconds. The player, 'rebuilds the database'.

It'll detect a change and do it automatically, or you can force it to update manually, if you so wish.

Takes seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭EI2011

Takes just a few seconds. The player, 'rebuilds the database'.

It'll detect a change and do it automatically, or you can force it to update manually, if you so wish.

Takes seconds.

so once its refreshed and i dont update music or tags etc it wont refresh? in other words every time i turn on device it wont need to refresh once data wasn changed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Ilyushin76

so once its refreshed and i dont update music or tags etc it wont refresh? in other words every time i turn on device it wont need to refresh once data wasn changed?

My clip + used to update the database when anything was changed which took ages but I installed rockbox and it does it in the background so you can listen while it updates

It shouldn't update when you turn it on if you changed nothing

• Advertisement

Mine arrived today, looks as good as new, came fully charged and works fine so far. Looks as good as new. I ordered it on Monday Lunch break so the turnaround is pretty good for ebay. One thing I didn't expect how tiny it is ! Sound quality seems good, although the songs that come with it sound kind of naff.

Going to sort out my music collection tonight and put on rockbox.

InJB7Yhl.jpg

Is it possible to go back to sansas own firmware, if I don't like rockbox?

Yes, it couldn't be easier. You just delete the rockbox folder. If you don't want to delete rockbox you can also boot back into the original sansa firmware by holding the home/back button while you power the device on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

not sure how long I can keep ignoring this bargain alert, just dont need it :(
    which is the smallest sansa.... if I wanted to buy it and use it as a watch?

not sure how long I can keep ignoring this bargain alert, just dont need it :(
    which is the smallest sansa.... if I wanted to buy it and use it as a watch?

Doesn't really have the aesthetics for a watch, unless you're going for that Dick Tracy vibe.. the clip is built in, making things a tad bulky.

dicksansatracy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

If you need a final push..

You can play doom on it with rockbox !

Its plays quite well actually, much like with an old dpad controller. I don't think you'll have a 5 hour session on that 1 inch screen though

FfpniJEl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Is this really better sound-wise to say, a Samsung s3? I have a cowon iaudio 9 which does actually sound better, but that's with the help of the jet effects engine.

Is this really better sound-wise to say, a Samsung s3? I have a cowon iaudio 9 which does actually sound better, but that's with the help of the jet effects engine.

Technically, the Sansa Clip range are robust. Have a look at the tests carried out on a Sansa Clip+ by, 'Northwest Audio & Video Guy' here:

http://nwavguy.blogspot.ie/2011/02/sansa-clip-measured.html

A lot of it is going to be subjective too: I used Apple products for years and, to my ears at least, it has more meat to the sound and far better EQ managment, whether you're running default firmware, or Rockbox.

I can't comment on the Samsung SIII's abilities, I don't own one, but again, any of the mid-range Samsung phones I've plugged a headphones into, haven't come close. Quite flat and lacking push.

Currently, I just use lossless .flac files on my players, so, that's where I'm coming from. I can't vouch for lossy formats like .mp3 or similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

The only apple i've owned is a nano and putting it mildly they sound crap. The difference between the cowon and the s3 isn't as pronounced.
    I did buy a fiio e6 for the nano, this little amp bypassed apples, so as you can guess it made the apple sound geat possibly as good as the cowon flat.
    Definitely a good option for owners of apple pmps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Apples sound quality has improved over the years. Not all their products have the same sound quality either. So sweeping generalisations may not hold true. On head fi some products are quite liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭hollands

Thanks OP for the post. My 2 daughters have one each (not refurbs) so we know they are good. I bought a refurb here when I saw your post. Arrived Friday last and is working perfectly. As someone else mentioned, when you get these, you need to go to settings and change from Europe to Rest of the World in order to to remove the volume restrictor!

Got mine this morning, its tiny! All seems good though, painfully loud at 4/5 volume after setting the audio to rest of the word instead of Europe, quality equal to or better than my Zen Vision M or Android Winamp and all instant response when you press a button which is exactly what I wanted, need to grab a load of FLACs now and see what the real quality is like. Also need to get it Rockbox'd once I get home.

Loving everything about it so far except for a couple of drawbacks:

- Headphone jack is in the wrong place imo, should be on top as you look at the screen not on the right hand side,

- Spring in the clip could be stronger, I wouldnt trust it at any angle other than straight up not to slip off.

- Volume buttons too close together for such a small device, definitely should have spread them out a bit or made them bigger, you mash both with one finger easily.

- No timer on the tracks just a progree bar so you dont know how long the song is or how much has played? Seriously? Hope Rockbox will fix this.

Most of these problems will disappear as I get used to it I dont doubt, delighted with the purchase especially at this price.

Some great themes here:

http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=sansaclipzip

Sort by download count and the most popular one, lebellium Samsung-like, set to clear background is perfect for the Clip Zip.

Rockbox has an awesome info display, it's actually insane what they have such a tiny screen, song, artist, album, art, time, time bar and all the device status info you could need.

• Advertisement

Yeah thats why I reccomended the 'lebellium Samsung-like' theme there, ive tried basically every android player on the Market since I broke my Zen last week and that little 1 inch screen is more intuitive and information rich than any of them.

The Rockbox Installer left a load of games on my Zip including FreeDoom (open source Doom port), theres Chess, Breakout etc aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

The Rockbox Installer left a load of games on my Zip including FreeDoom (open source Doom port), theres Chess, Breakout etc aswell.

This is normal. As everything gets included so you don't have to add the games etc. as they are built when the source is built on every change.

Doom won't work without the .wad files tho.
    And the emulators need roms etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

Got mine this morning, it's tiny as has been mentioned already. It's a great little player though.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭coolaboola

I bought a Clip Zip from ITStor to replace my trusty Clip + which died this week. The Clip Zip arrived today but I've a couple of issues with it:

Very, very slow start-up: 40 seconds !! (Almost as slow shut-down but not as irritating as the slow start up)

No 'Resume Playback': As I listen to podcasts being able to stop a podcast and pick up again where I left off is essential. It was automatic with the Clip+ (I was given an option to resume playback or restart). Not so in the Clip Zip as far as I can tell.

Is anyone else having similar issues with their Clip Zips?

• Advertisement
Advertisement