Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermittent problem with laptop - Argos won't do anything until they see problem

Options
  • 19-04-2013 4:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

My mum bought a laptop from Argos last week and the mouse has been sticking intermittently since. She has spoken to toshiba who can't fix it so told her to return to Argos. It's been in Argos since yesterday buttery won't repair or replace or offer refund until they see the problem themselves. Any idea wjat she can do here? There are reviews on the Argos UK site with customers experiencing the same problem so it sounds like a fault.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

is this with the windows8 ?

I have one with similar issues...not all the time...and it seems to jump around a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I bought a laptop in Argos abt 8 months ago, it <SNIP> up after a month. I brought it in and I was told it would be sent back to see whats wrong with it and to call back in a week. I said no, this is not good enough. I told them I use it for work( a big fat lie). So I asked to see the shop manageress and I explained my lie and told her it would cost me about 400 euro without the laptop for a week so she gave me a new one. If you accept what they say meakly you get treated like <SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭skinny90

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    I bought a laptop in Argos abt 8 months ago, it <SNIP> up after a month. I brought it in and I was told it would be sent back to see whats wrong with it and to call back in a week. I said no, this is not good enough. I told them I use it for work( a big fat lie). So I asked to see the shop manageress and I explained my lie and told her it would cost me about 400 euro without the laptop for a week so she gave me a new one. If you accept what they say meakly you get treated like sh1t.

Well count yourself lucky then the manger could have easily stuck to his/her ground and sent it for repair.explain how you where being treated like <SNIP>?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ozypozy wrote: »
    My mum bought a laptop from Argos last week and the mouse has been sticking intermittently since. She has spoken to toshiba who can't fix it so told her to return to Argos. It's been in Argos since yesterday buttery won't repair or replace or offer refund until they see the problem themselves. Any idea wjat she can do here? There are reviews on the Argos UK site with customers experiencing the same problem so it sounds like a fault.
    Is firefox browser installed? If it is there is a setting in the options in the advanced tab called "use hardware acceleration when available" you should uncheck this item and see if that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

I don't think Firefox is installed, I'm not sure though. Consumer helpline said she can look for refund or replacement as the problem appeared as soon as she used it but Argos aren't budging, basically saying its her word against theirs. Toshiba helpline told her to do a few different things and when they didnt solve the problem they said to return to Argos. Customers on the UK site had written reviews on the product detailing same problem and they appear to have been replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭ozypozy

Update! Based on the info she had from the reviews on the UK site they've offered her a refund. Happy days.

ozypozy wrote: »
    I don't think Firefox is installed, I'm not sure though. Consumer helpline said she can look for refund or replacement as the problem appeared as soon as she used it but Argos aren't budging, basically saying its her word against theirs. Toshiba helpline told her to do a few different things and when they didnt solve the problem they said to return to Argos. Customers on the UK site had written reviews on the product detailing same problem and they appear to have been replaced.

When speaking to the manager did you mention its intermittend?Have you discussed the fact that people are reporting the same faults online?.when speaking to toshiba have you requested them to email what there saying to you?also I recommend that you capture the mouse freezing via video camera.keep a cool head when confronting Argos.from there point of view they won't exchange it because they will get charged back from the supplier if its not faulty.tho I am surprised they won't send it away
    All in all there not bad for service as I stated keep a cool head when speaking to the manager it's very easy to get frustrated.

skinny90 wrote: »
    Well count yourself lucky then the manger could have easily stuck to his/her ground and sent it for repair.explain how you where being treated like <SNIP>?

I had a five minute discussion with some other young lady at the counter before asking to see a supervisor or manager and she assured me I was wasting my time as this was policy. When the shop manager came out she gave me the same line until I insisted that this is unfair, they had my money and I had a faulty laptop. In General I am stating that when you buy goods or services the sales-people are great and so helpful, almost to annoyance but when there is a problem the follow up services can be very poor and downright <SNIP> as the money has already been banked.

I had a five minute discussion with some other young lady at the counter before asking to see a supervisor or manager and she assured me I was wasting my time as this was policy. When the shop manager came out she gave me the same line until I insisted that this is unfair, they had my money and I had a faulty laptop. In General I am stating that when you buy goods or services the sales-people are great and so helpful, almost to annoyance but when there is a problem the follow up services can be very poor and downright sh1t as the money has already been banked.

Nothing got to do with being banked or not...if Argos or any other business replaced all their laptops on the spot they'd be outta business along time by now.also whats to say it wasnt your fault?argos dont have technichans instore hence why they'd have to send it away.the same would occur if you bought a phone in 02,meteor or vodafone.
    they wernt taking the piss they are well within their right to repair whether you needed it for business or not.

skinny90 wrote: »
    Nothing got to do with being banked or not...if Argos or any other business replaced all their laptops on the spot they'd be outta business along time by now.also whats to say it wasnt your fault?argos dont have technichans instore hence why they'd have to send it away.the same would occur if you bought a phone in 02,meteor or vodafone.
    they wernt taking the piss they are well within their right to repair whether you needed it for business or not.
    I dissagree. Argos and most other business's don't care about the consumers after the money is banked. In my opinion all that matters is their bottom line. I would know if it was my fault and I don't have to prove this. I paid for a functioning laptop and I used whatever I could to get it without being impolite. I only got what I paid for no more no less. The "my fault" part makes me suspect you are a quasi manager Argos employe or something similar. Just because this is the policy at Argos, 02, Meteor etc. does not mean this is fair. It may be a good policy for them but not so good for the consumer. Yes legally they may be well within their rights. This makes it all right? Depends on your point of view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

I dissagree. Argos and most other business's don't care about the consumers after the money is banked. In my opinion all that matters is their bottom line. I would know if it was my fault and I don't have to prove this. I paid for a functioning laptop and I used whatever I could to get it without being impolite. I only got what I paid for no more no less. The "my fault" part makes me suspect you are a quasi manager Argos employe or something similar. Just because this is the policy at Argos, 02, Meteor etc. does not mean this is fair. It may be a good policy for them but not so good for the consumer. Yedrs legally they may be well within their rights. This makes it all right? Depends on your point of view.

So you whine about what's fair and what's not, all the while ignoring while the stores legal rights are. Do you think the store should just accept your word as gospel, when you admitted in your first post that you blatantly lied?!?!

You talk about being fair and not wanting to be treated like <SNIP>, while in the same breath admitting to treating others in the same manner.

To be honest your an absolute <SNIP> and the reason why customer service can be so difficult in this country.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

I dissagree. Argos and most other business's don't care about the consumers after the money is banked. In my opinion all that matters is their bottom line. I would know if it was my fault and I don't have to prove this. I paid for a functioning laptop and I used whatever I could to get it without being impolite. I only got what I paid for no more no less. The "my fault" part makes me suspect you are a quasi manager Argos employe or something similar. Just because this is the policy at Argos, 02, Meteor etc. does not mean this is fair. It may be a good policy for them but not so good for the consumer. Yes legally they may be well within their rights. This makes it all right? Depends on your point of view.

Yes I'm Mr Argos secretly defending them on boards...but sshh don't tell anyone.
    Believe me if Argos or who ever for that matter were in the wrong I'd have said that now

Sorry if you got offended by the "your fault part" but have a look at the laptop forums.all it takes is a small piece of software for issues to arise.i have never worked in customer service but i used to fix laptops on the side in first year both at home and in college and id say 80% of the fixes were software related either from installing software or downloading ****e. Out of that people would blame the manufacterur or the shop they bought it from.only a small few would say "ehh ever since I installed this it started messing up" etc...
    i completly agree that you purchased a functioning laptop but it being the product that it is no business is gonna replace it on the spot without ensuring it is faulty and not one caused by the user.if that was the case every Tom Dick and Harry ( myself included) would have a brand spanking new laptop every couple of months.

The law is in place to protect BOTH customers and business

So you whine about what's fair and what's not, all the while ignoring while the stores legal rights are. Do you think the store should just accept your word as gospel, when you admitted in your first post that you blatantly lied?!?!

You talk about being fair and not wanting to be treated like <SNIP> while in the same breath admitting to treating others in the same manner.

To be honest your an absolute <SNIP> and the reason why customer service can be so difficult in this country.

So you think I'm an absolute <SNIP>, you are entitled to your opinion. No point getting into a slanging match, you would probably win. I decided to reply to a post and gave my tuppence worth. I see things from the consumer's point of view. I guess you are on the oppisite side of the fence. I was not going to get it replaced that day by saying please missus manager give poor little me a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Enough of the passive aggressive from both of you and especially enough of the language.

dudara

Advertisement