Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco for Kilkenny

Options
  • 19-04-2013 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭

One of the problems with the "Boards" is that only reaches a minority and therefore we really lack a proper forum.
    However there is an underlying trend that there are probably more people in Kilkenny wanting Tesco than not.
    The fact that we are the only coun ty in Ireland without a TESCO is to a degree inmaterial, as we can always go to Carlow, New ross, Waterford and Clonmel to shop, however it does question whether this should be necessary in this day and age.
    We have a council that sees fit to deprive it's electors of the choice of shopping, the only one in Ireland, now does this infer that the council is engaged in an embago on one of the world's largest food retailer's? You must then ask why.
    There are many arguements put forward by the anti Tesco lobby, the main one being that Tesco suck the life out of town centres, which in Kilkenny's position is irrelevent and sheer nonsense, given we have two Dunnes, 2 Aldi and 2 Lidl 1 Supervalu, 1 superquinn and 1 eurospar.
    Another favourite whilst Tesco creat jobs the number of shops forced to close would have more staff than Tesco take on.
    Again why hasn't that happened with all the other big names.
    Is there any comment to be made, do we want Tesco?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Do we want Tesco?

Not particularly.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Don't see the need myself. I've never felt the need to travel out of town to go to a tescos.

When visiting wicklow I always end up in Tescos getting a few supplies. Dont see the fascination with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

kikel wrote: »
    Don't see the need myself. I've never felt the need to travel out of town to go to a tescos.

When visiting wicklow I always end up in Tescos getting a few supplies. Dont see the fascination with it.
    Its way cheaper than dunnes or super value maybe. Has a better selection than both of the above and is open longer..oh and they won't have a pathetic traffic management system like so many super values have

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Its way cheaper than dunnes or super value maybe. Has a better selection than both of the above and is open longer..oh and they won't have a pathetic traffic management system like so many super values have

The last time the National Consumer Agency did a survey (admittedly a few years ago) Dunnes was cheaper than Tesco, just over 1% cheaper. Personal experience between the 2 would suggest that Tesco is certainly not way cheaper than Dunnes, if there is a difference, its still minimal either way. If they were significantly undercutting Dunnes it would be all over the shop. and comparable to Aldi Lidl. At the moment Tesco crow about matching Aldi or Lidl prices on milk or similar but never, or extremely rarely crow about beating the price, because they dont. Oh, and Dunnes in Kilkenny is open as late as Tesco in Carlow.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭flower tattoo

i don't think Tesco is dramatically cheaper but Carlow store delivers to Kilkenny so you can always shop online - something i would actually like Dunnes to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

One of the problems with the "Boards" is that only reaches a minority and therefore we really lack a proper forum.
    However there is an underlying trend that there are probably more people in Kilkenny wanting Tesco than not.
    The fact that we are the only coun ty in Ireland without a TESCO is to a degree inmaterial, as we can always go to Carlow, New ross, Waterford and Clonmel to shop, however it does question whether this should be necessary in this day and age.
    We have a council that sees fit to deprive it's electors of the choice of shopping, the only one in Ireland, now does this infer that the council is engaged in an embago on one of the world's largest food retailer's? You must then ask why.
    There are many arguements put forward by the anti Tesco lobby, the main one being that Tesco suck the life out of town centres, which in Kilkenny's position is irrelevent and sheer nonsense, given we have two Dunnes, 2 Aldi and 2 Lidl 1 Supervalu, 1 superquinn and 1 eurospar.
    Another favourite whilst Tesco creat jobs the number of shops forced to close would have more staff than Tesco take on.
    Again why hasn't that happened with all the other big names.
    Is there any comment to be made, do we want Tesco?

We don't want a Tesco. I don't want to eat horse meat.
    I hope this doesn't keep you awake at night.
    There is enough shops in kilkenny.
    You seem to harp on about this quite a lot.
    Please stop you are boring us all to tears.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

it would seem bowlardo that you get bored very easil and remember it was choice to read the post no one made you, bye for now Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

it would seem bowlardo that you get bored very easil and remember it was choice to read the post no one made you, bye for now Foxy

It was but does tesco really matter that much to you.
    What have tesco given to the public other than that heavy dublin women who did reasonably well in x-factor and horse meat lasagne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

Bowlardo wrote: »
    We don't want a Tesco. I don't want to eat horse meat.
    I hope this doesn't keep you awake at night.
    There is enough shops in kilkenny.
    You seem to harp on about this quite a lot.
    Please stop you are boring us all to tears.

I didn't know you were the spokesperson for the Kilkenny City and County forum.

You knew full well what you were getting when you saw Foxy had made a topic on getting Tesco to Kilkenny. Why did you bother to come in and read it if it bores you?

thanks for the support andyman, appreciated.

• Advertisement

Both Dunnes and Tesco are similar shops, prices seem to be on a par and both buy a considerable amount of Irish produce, it matters little who buys the most, they both help the Irish worker.
    One thing which bugs me is that Tesco is rated to take away trade from the High street, yes people will quote, the little shops cannot compete, we should support them and keep the big bad wolf away.
    Well who abandoned the small shops, Tesco didn't stand in the high Street forbidding anyone from going into the small store, it was us we walked away, of course tesco was much cheaper, so what is that telling us, in truth we cannot afford to pay small shop prices, well not for the main shop, I think we all pop into these little shops for the odd thing we have forgotten, but it is not enough to support the shopkeeper and his family.
    So who should we be supporting, right our own family.
    Now by chance i was in Carlow today, I had never heard of the Dome, the main store appears to be Dunnes, not Tesco, the amount business it was doing would equal Tesco, so why aren't the anti Tesco lobby saying ah what about Dunnes, it doesn't suit them.
    Lidl and Aldi both sell food at a considerably lower price, however Dunnes had quite a few offers.
    If Carlow, though I think the store might be across the border in Laos, we haven't got a Dunnes out of town nor as you know a Tesco, one asks what sort of council have we?
    Do they all hold shares in Petroleum companies?
    More to come

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't think anyone is against Tesco, just not having another large supermarket. If Tesco wanted to come to Kilkenny so badly they would've taken MacDonagh when it was going up. If you started a thread about a new Dunnes stores going up, I would still be opposed to it. If Tesco was to replace one of the Dunnes, I'd be happy. Secondly foxy, you've hyped up Tesco, when it really isn't anything to be hyped up about.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

I'm sure more people who live in Kilkenny go shopping in Waterford, New Ross, Carlow and Conmel than go to Kilkenny as most are probaly closer and if tesco opened it would only be catering for a small % of people who live in KK overall.

It is strange that its the only county without one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

I would like to see Tesco in Kilkenny for one reason only...the free parking. I think that being forced to pay for parking while grocery shopping is outrageous so I avoid McDonagh Market Cross and Market Yard. Ok you get an hour free in some of these but that's not good enough: you still have the hassle of barriers, tickets, validation etc. IMO shopping in Carlow is a pleasure by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Formosa

Please, please, please, no Tesco in Kilkenny.

You are dead right about the parking charges, trouble is because we do not have an out of town shoppping centre, apart from Loughboy, there are two theories, I have no objection to paying parking to the town for looking around, but when I go grocery shopping, I object to paying for the priviledge, because the council have decided to siphon off money.
    All the shops in Davis Road Clonmel are free parking and it is a glorious ride down, yes we now have Aldi and SV in Callan, equally Kilkenny has the same advantage with Aldi and Lidl.
    Now if you like Dunnes in Kilkenny you pay for the choice.
    Which brings me full circle, if as it is said most people go to Carlow or Clonmel for Tesco why do we want a Tesco, indeed a serious question, why.
    The truth is we don't need it, shame about the poor sods on the dole who could have a got a job however paid, and the council missing out on rates etc.
    But it still doesn't answer the question why haven't we an out of town Tesco or Dunnes? Do we have some piddling councillors acting if they run the world, look at the power we have, people will do as we tell them.
    I still say who is in charge the elected or those who put them in a position of power.
    It is not an easy answer, I am happy to go to Clonmel or Carlow or New Ross or even Waterford, I can do all my other shopping at these places and leave Kilkenny for the tourists, yes our city will look beautiful and it will have plenty of small shops to keep some people happy.
    Gotta go for the Grand Prix who will win alonso or Lewis?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

We also have Eurospar, 2 x LIDLs and 2 x Aldis which are out of town. The poor people on the dole that would have got jobs from a Tesco opening would just be replaced by the poor people that Tesco puts out of business.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Nice one, but I reckon it is tantamount to scare mongering, Eurospar and staff would not be effected by any out of town supermarket be it tesco or Dunnes, they serve New Park very nicely, equally your Lidl and Aldi on the waterford Road and if you like SV are virtually assured of business.
    You see everyone says Tesco, so what about Dunnes at the Dome in Carlow are they not just as bad.
    We know if Dunnes left MacDonough the place would collapse, but by no stretch of the imagination could you say it was a resounding success.
    Now if Tesco went in the mart site it would seriously affect MacDonough, especially if Tesco's usual MO of free parking prevailed, which was probably why they didn't go into the station.
    The fairgreen in Carlow seems to have it al, the Dome despite Dunnes being busy looks like a failed attempt at out of town shopping with so many empty units.
    This Tesco for Kilkenny is not an easy subject, we know there are some who are going to say we don't want Tesco, there are those who want small shops to come back, we know the future lies with bigger stores selling a vast array of items, not just groceries etc.
    I think I was in Carrefours the french hypermarket they had tyres and exhausts, okay away from the food.
    Despite protestations Market Yard and Market Cross are past their prime, yes as a Dunnes Express or Tesco they would serve those who come into the city.
    A site like the woodies site, which in my opinion was about as bad a design as one could have, entrance and exits are almost laughable, but there is an opportunity to put an out of town hypermarket on some of those sites, plus a decent Boots and Argos, naturally the roads need updating.
    I do not necessarily say Tesco, Dunnes are similar but are a much smaller outfit, so if you want the best go for the one that knows everything about trading. Yes prices are very similar even SV is on par.
    I still think the west of the city is ignored for shops, as they say it is a long way to tipperary, well thurles and there is not much to shout about in Urlingford.l

What i do not understand are remarks like "please no Tesco for Kilkenny", if you do not like Tesco or what it stands for it is very simple you do not shop there, but why deprive those people who go to tesco in the various outlets outside the county.
    If Tesco came into the outskirts of the city, there is not a shop that would suffer, well maybe Dunnes in Macdonough but that was done to thwart Tesco.
    I would state that where Tesco was placed could be a problem, to the north Castlecomber could be effected, to the west the little shops in Urlingford, and freshford, but there again it is such a crap road system around trhe city no one would attempt to go west or north.
    There is virtually only one spot the retail park on the waterford Road, okay there would need to be quite a few road changes but it is ideal, there is nothing to the south, village shops are not going to lose out big time.
    We almost get to a point in saying it is too late for Kilkenny to have a Tesco, we missed the Celtic Tiger, if it came it certainly didn't stop, it with out doubt left a pile of ****e near the railway station and was gone.
    It is not that the people in Kilkenny do not want Tesco, it is more like why on earth would a super store want to come here in the first place.
    Yes it would save us driving to the stores in the adjoining counties, but the council knew these jobs would be lost, more a "I'm alright jack".
    I really think Kilkenny has got what it deserves, it will never be more than a heritage centre, a place of great beauty, unless you live on the Callan road, which must rate as the biggest eyesore in the country apart from Urlingford.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭redtelephone

Is the overtaxed motorist subsidising the likes of Dunnes through paying high parking charges and therefore keeping the commercial rates low? Would big bad Tesco upset this little arrangement?

This is taken from the Kilkenny County Council website:

How do rates in Kilkenny compare to other Local Authorities?

Kilkenny County Council’s average rate of Valuation is the lowest in the Country and is significantly lower than that charged by most other Local Authorities i.e. 21% lower than the national average.
    Kilkenny Borough Council’s average rate of Valuation is the lowest of any City and is 10% lower than the national average for cities. It is also one of the lowest amongst all urban rating authorities in the Country.
    Rates for both the County and Borough have remained frozen at 2008 levels for the past 4 years.

Source: http://www.kilkennycity.ie/eng/RSS_LatestNewsAndAnnouncements/Commercial_Rates_-_Frequently_asked_questions_FAQs.4420.shortcut.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

, unless you live on the Callan road, which must rate as the biggest eyesore in the country apart from Urlingford.

wow, just wow,
    You must live a sheltered life if you think that anything on the Callan road is the biggest eyesore in the country.

I'd suggest you travel Ireland abit more, there's far far worse things you can see around this country

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

Only reason to go to Tesco, their own brand Paella Seasoning.

I stand corrected, however for one of the most beautiful of cities, its an eyesore and a thorn in everyones side when they travel on that road. Yes no doubt there are worse but I would like to see some pressure put on the council to bring it back to a reasonable state, should really knock those flats down whilst they are at it, the view was magnificent, now one has to come down the Ballycallan road.
    Keep our city beautiful, they wouldn't get away with it in Bruges.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

:
    :
    Oh, and Dunnes in Kilkenny is open as late as Tesco in Carlow.

Only on a Sunday.
    Dunnes Kieran St 9am-10pm Mon-Sat, 10am-10pm Sun
    Dunnes McDonagh 9am-7pm Mon-Wed, 9am-9pm Th-Sat, 11am-7pm Sun

Tesco Carlow 7am-midnight Mon-Sat, 8am-10pm Sun.
    Late closing is very useful (I miss when it stopped being open 24hr)

PS I agree with the rest of your post, Tesco about par with other retailers on price.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Only on a Sunday.
    Dunnes Kieran St 9am-10pm Mon-Sat, 10am-10pm Sun
    Dunnes McDonagh 9am-7pm Mon-Wed, 9am-9pm Th-Sat, 11am-7pm Sun

Tesco Carlow 7am-midnight Mon-Sat, 8am-10pm Sun.
    Late closing is very useful (I miss when it stopped being open 24hr)

PS I agree with the rest of your post, Tesco about par with other retailers on price.

I totally agree. The closing times of supermarkets in Kk are really bad. Superquinn closes at 7pm most days which is useless to must of us working late.
    Often find myself using tesco in Carlow. Very good shop with huge range and free parking in the town centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

Tesco in KK will put KK on the grocery map it could be the grocery capital of Ireland :D ah no a Tesco in KK would be nice but people are right its not essential but it would be nice to have it here its def where i would do my shopping it always seem cheaper to me.

w28382, brilliant idea would love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

sorry can I clarify????
    some posters here will actually drive to Clonmel/Carlow from Kilkenny to shop in Tesco?? Am I right?? You would rather spend the time and money driving there before sending a little to park in Kilkenny or use local shops? If that's the case I think that is completely insane!! Cant see the logic or benefit in incurring the cost (time and fuel) in driving a 1hr round trip approx. to buy pretty much the same products at pretty much the same cost than shopping on your doorstep...
    Peronally..the longer KK lasts without a Tesco the better...I don't think we need another generic, homogenous and sterile multinational retailer landing their bland uniformity on our landscape...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

I understand the viewpoint and from an economic point it makes sense, but we are not necessarily sensible or logical in what we do, it is back to that one or two words "Freedom of Choice", there are those amongst us who swear by tesco whilst others wouldn't hear a word against Dunnes, other's SV and superquinn.
    Those who are adamant that Tesco should not be allowed near Kilkenny, do you realise what you are doing, I guess not "Dictating" or trying to, you really do not have to shop in Tesco if you don't want to, you can run your own private war and shop elseware, but I think it very bad manners to tell other people what they should or should not do in respect to such a trivial matter.
    I am not a drinker but I do not advocate shutting pubs and bars by 9pm, it is down to the individual, I might think bikes are a menace on the road, I am not going round saying ban all bikes, some people enjoy riding.
    You have only to read some of the comments, typical No no tesco, why not?
    Do think about attitude to others.

Advertisement