Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

nhg wrote: »
    You obviously haven't shopped (or should I say tried to shop) in Supervalu in Callan so.......

No, I haven't. I live in the city and don't see the point, obviously, in travelling to Callan when we have 2 very good Supervalu stores here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

shane 007 wrote: »
    Tesco's own brand dog food :-)

If you loved your dog you wouldn't be feeding him that sh1t. I'm sure the dog likes it but it doesn't mean it's good for him. Just sayin' loike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I see the Tesco delivery van almost daily around Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

road_high wrote: »
    It really isn't! If dunnes and aldi/lidl are your thing then it is. Like super valu too but I do like tesco for a change, one in Carlow. Really the vast range they have that's draw for me. So many things dunnes don't do.

2 in the county, one in Carlow town and one in Tullow. Other than the convenience of long opening hours in Carlow (was originally 24hr but now 07:00-midnight) they're just another well lit supermarket with a delivery service, imo. They may sell some niche stuff others don't, but likewise others sell some niche stuff that Tesco don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

I see the Tesco delivery van almost daily around Kilkenny.

................... delivering all the stuff that's almost out of date ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Can someone give me specific things Tesco do better than what we already have?

They do savage salt and vinegar own brand taytos...that and the fact that they stock far more types of each product than any of the supermarkets in Kilkenny. Regularly end up going to Dunnes, Supervalu and Lidl to do a shop, however can knock that down to Lidl and Tesco when back home. As for the prices, I always find Tesco far cheaper (for what I buy) then when I shop in both Dunnes and Supervalu. Don't see why everyone is so against it..creates more jobs, creates more competition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭Grats

I would welcome Tesco to Kilkenny although I am well satisfied with what we currently have. The more we have the better the competition. Our three adult children have plenty choice where they live and none of them shop regularly in Tesco. Everybody to their own.

They do savage salt and vinegar own brand taytos...that and the fact that they stock far more types of each product than any of the supermarkets in Kilkenny. Regularly end up going to Dunnes, Supervalu and Lidl to do a shop, however when can knock that down to Lidl and Tesco when back home. As for the prices, I always find Tesco far cheaper (for what I buy) then when I shop in both Dunnes and Supervalu. Don't see why everyone is so against it..creates more jobs, creates more competition

Wouldnt go there every week either but would be nice to have the choice here. They stock so much in comparison to dunnes. Double the lines I'd say. They do some great offers from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭deadybai

Waterford has 4 Tesco's in the city and 5 if you include the one in Tramore. Can't believe Kilkenny has none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

deadybai wrote: »
    Waterford has 4 Tesco's in the city and 5 if you include the one in Tramore. Can't believe Kilkenny has none.

Waterford has double the population for a start and that dosn't include surrounding areas which all go to the city for shopping.

4 Tesco
    3 soon to be 4 Aldi
    2 Lidl
    1 Supervalu
    1 Dunnes

It is odd they don't have any but there must be a good reason for it to. I can't see one coming for a long time either.

• Advertisement

slimjimmc wrote: »
    2 in the county, one in Carlow town and one in Tullow. Other than the convenience of long opening hours in Carlow (was originally 24hr but now 07:00-midnight) they're just another well lit supermarket with a delivery service, imo. They may sell some niche stuff others don't, but likewise others sell some niche stuff that Tesco don't.

Yea Tullow is a mad one. Population circa 3-4k people but nearly as much choice as Kilkenny pop 25k. Tesco, decent SuperValu, Aldi and a Lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Don't see why everyone is so against it..creates more jobs, creates more competition

Wasn't there a documentary recently about Tescos where it was suggested that for every job created in Tescos, I can't remember the figure, but something like 10 jobs are lost in the local town shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

shane 007 wrote: »
    Wasn't there a documentary recently about Tescos where it was suggested that for every job created in Tescos, I can't remember the figure, but something like 10 jobs are lost in the local town shops.

Having not seen that documentary...I would imagine that it would apply to ALL large retail supermarkets entering an area.. Possibly more so for aldi and lidl whose model is to employ less than Supervalu, Tesco, Dunnes etc and have less employed on the shop floor restocking / facing off etc. What part of local town shops are Dunnes, Aldi and Lidl? People don't seem to have a problem with all these multiples. TBH without seeing any figures I would imagine most people are doing their weekly shop in a large multiple rather than in a small local shop. The small local shops niche is for little bits and bobs so I doubt Tesco or any other large supermarket entering Kilkenny would seriously affect them, considering the supermarkets that are in the area already. Reckon a Tesco would be a bonus rather than a negative for the town.

...I could be wrong but thats how I see it!

The traditional "small shop" is almost long gone. Any that remain are niche convenience stores with a good deli; not ones catering for the weekly shop as such. It's the same scenario allover Ireland really. I fail to see the big threat from Tesco to these, that battle has long been lost really. It's the other multiples that don't want Tesco in competing with them and are the ones that would "suffer". Reckon the grocery trade in Kilkenny must be a gold-mine given the free ride they get. Now even worse Super Valu have Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Cabaal wrote: »
    I will say Supervalue in Callan has very much improved....but only since Aldi opened, since then they stock has improved and the amount of offers they have has gone up.

Shame it took Aldi to force these improvements. Management were certainly not on the ball and very much became complacent when it came to running the store and offering services to customers, this doesn't exactly create customer loyalty.

Supervalue in Callan is a complete disaster of a shop, comical place in every way.

If like you say it has improved.... actually it is hard to imagine it being worse than it is currently

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Callanutd

The last couple of months we have begun to do our shopping online with Tesco. We order on a Monday night and have it delvered on a Tuesday night. I find the service brilliant (4 Euro delivery charge) and it stops me impulse buying. We only buy what we actually need. We top up during the week then with bits and pieces from the Aldi in Callan.

Guys I was in Ballinamore co Leitrim recently and was stunned to see a Tesco. This is a very small town, less that 1000 residents close to the border but even it can have the choice to shop in tesco. Carrick on Shannon also has a huge tesco store. 25,000 people here and none...I'm sure I'll get the usual barrage of we don't need one etc but id actually quite like the choice, rather than going to the Carlow one now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,714 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Guys I was in Ballinamore co Leitrim recently and was stunned to see a Tesco. This is a very small town, less that 1000 residents close to the border but even it can have the choice to shop in tesco. Carrick on Shannon also has a huge tesco store. 25,000 people here and none...I'm sure I'll get the usual barrage of ee don't need one etc but id actually quite like the choice, rather than im the Carlow one now and then.

Is it big?

No Tesco in KK is like no Aldi in NI, it's really strange but I can't see Tesco planning any major stores for a long time.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Is it big?

No Tesco in KK is like no Aldi in NI, it's really strange but I can't see Tesco planning any major stores for a long time.

Yea looked reasonable sized one. I'd think they're over extended in a lot of parts of the country but Kilkenny is a clear omission

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yea looked reasonable sized one. I'd think they're over extended in a lot of parts of the country but Kilkenny is a clear omission

They over extended full stop, Tesco are banjaxed and are considering closing stores in UK and Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

They over extended full stop, Tesco are banjaxed and are considering closing stores in UK and Ireland

There's a brand new, £22million to build, store in Cambridgeshire they have just mothballed, didn't even bother opening it. Thought Ireland was still a good area for them though?

Indeed. All our neighbouring counties are swamped with tesco stores but we don't have any at all so I'd safely say at least one would do well, in the city.

There's a brand new, £22million to build, store in Cambridgeshire they have just mothballed, didn't even bother opening it. Thought Ireland was still a good area for them though?

I'd hazard a guess though and say that Cambridge and it's county probably has dozens of tescos. Like here, Aldi and Lidl are making big inroads in the UK market.

I'd hazard a guess though and say that Cambridge and it's county probably has dozens of tescos. Like here, Aldi and Lidl are making big inroads in the UK market.

Id say you absolutely have a point, but I did find a short BBC magazine article from earlier this year that suggests its not the same scenario all the time.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-31365003

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Tesco were ubiquitous in the UK when Aldi and Lidl arrived but in Ireland Tesco expanded at the same time as Lidl and Aldi entered. Their mega store model that had mopped up in the UK left them with way over exposed here.

Plus the amalgamation of Superquinn and Supervalu has made them a toe to toe rival to Tesco. Plus Ireland being a food exporter means the producers have the upper hand in dictating terms, no one grocer has a monopoly.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Seeing Tesco delivery vans around Kilkenny more and more with people shopping online.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

Tesco Delivery Van comes to my house every Wednesday. Do my shopping online and it is a great service. My money is going out of the county along with many others as there is no store in Kilkenny due to lack lustre idealism.

kkapp wrote: »
    Tesco Delivery Van comes to my house every Wednesday. Do my shopping online and it is a great service. My money is going out of the county along with many others as there is no store in Kilkenny due to lack lustre idealism.

And how much of your money, paid to the British owned multinational, would stay in Kilkenny, would you hazard a guess at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

And how much of your money, paid to the British owned multinational, would stay in Kilkenny, would you hazard a guess at?
    If all the larger countries of Europe espoused such nativist economic sentiment our agricultural exports would get hammered, we export 90% of our beef!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭kkapp

They would employ people from Kilkenny who in turn would spend their wages in Kilkenny. Therefore more money going into the local economy. I understand the concerns of smaller stores. But competition is always good and choice should always be given. If people have issues with Tesco, don't shop there go somewhere else.

Advertisement