Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco for Kilkenny

Options

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

kkapp wrote: »
    They would employ people from Kilkenny who in turn would spend their wages in Kilkenny. Therefore more money going into the local economy. I understand the concerns of smaller stores. But competition is always good and choice should always be given. If people have issues with Tesco, don't shop there go somewhere else.

What do you buy in tescos that you can't buy in the stores we already have in Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

kikel wrote: »
    What do you buy in tescos that you can't buy in the stores we already have in Kilkenny.
    We don't know because we don't have a tesco with which to make a comparison!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

kikel wrote: »

They have a huge own brand range which I quite like and also a much range of everything else. Must be at least double what Dunnes Bores offer. That's what I love about them. Their chilled and ready meal range is great, dunnes or Super valu don't hold a candle to it really.

road_high wrote: »
    They have a huge own brand range which I quite like and also a much range of everything else. Must be at least double what Dunnes Bores offer. That's what I love about them. Their chilled and ready meal range is great, dunnes or Super valu don't hold a candle to it really.

Are these tescos ready meals your talking about?

http://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=274669532

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I would like to see a large Tesco in Kilkenny on a stand alone site where I could drive into without having to drive into the city centre, go through barriers and then be charged for the pleasure.
    A large Tesco on the Ring rd with easy access and an open free car park with a petrol station would annihilate Dunnes and Supervalue in Kilkenny.
    And that's why we won't see one soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,067 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Dunno what the fascination or need is really. I live near three tescos, three supervalu, two dunnes, two aldis, two lidl.

I can take or leave tesco tbh

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Dunno what the fascination or need is really. I live near three tescos, three supervalu, two dunnes, two aldis, two lidl.

I can take or leave tesco tbh

For me as stated before it's the vast range they offer. Some people are fine with all the above and that's fair enough, they can continue with that choice. For the rest of us, I don't see why we should be deprived of the choice, simply because we have Dunnes et al which "is grand".

hi5 wrote: »
    I would like to see a large Tesco in Kilkenny on a stand alone site where I could drive into without having to drive into the city centre, go through barriers and then be charged for the pleasure.
    A large Tesco on the Ring rd with easy access and an open free car park with a petrol station would annihilate Dunnes and Supervalue in Kilkenny.

They sure would. It's actually gotten worse since Superquinn became Super valu. It's definitely changed and not for the better. Less special offers going on and less of a range of products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

For me as stated before it's the vast range they offer. Some people are fine with all the above and that's fair enough, they can continue with that choice. For the rest of us, I don't see why we should be deprived of the choice, simply because we have Dunnes et al which "is grand".

You really aren't deprived a choice at all, when you can order online and since you would have had to drive to any out of town Tesco in Kilkenny, you could drive the long and arduous road to Carlow, think border controls have been relaxed now.

toe_knee wrote: »
    Seeing Tesco delivery vans around Kilkenny more and more with people shopping online.

See it almost daily. Ironically, a large chunk of the deliveries from the Carlow store go to kilkenny.

• Advertisement

You really aren't deprived a choice at all, when you can order online and since you would have had to drive to any out of town Tesco in Kilkenny, you could drive the long and arduous road to Carlow, think border controls have been relaxed now.

Jesus you don't say. Would never have figured that out, thanks.

Jesus you don't say. Would never have figured that out, thanks.

Yet your post suggested you were deprived of the choice.

hi5 wrote: »

We've got something great in KIlkenny what you are suggesting would have a serious effect on our city.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zAPyUL44pGE

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭Kirk Van Houten

And by that logic if Tesco came in and Dunnes or Super Valu shut down you could continue to shop with them in Carlow or Waterford and you wouldn't have an issue either.

And by that logic if Tesco came in and Dunnes or Super Valu shut down you could continue to shop with them in Carlow or Waterford and you wouldn't have an issue either.

OK, very good. When did I say I had a problem with the choice of supermarket available? When did I say I was deprived of a choice? So your fanciful example is lovely but what does it have to do with me?

So rather than you posting on my behalf, let me do it myself. If Tesco were to come, I'd shop in it occassionally, as I do now in Carlow,
    do I feel deprived there is no Tesco? Fupp no,
    am I bothered there isn't one? No, I'm quite glad.
    Would the world end if Tesco arrive? No, pretty sure we'd be OK, but I don't work in a shop in Kilkenny.
    Would a big out of town supermarket be detrimental to Kilkenny high street? Yes, I think it would.
    What? Even Asda or Morrison's who you say you'd like? Yes even those.
    Do I find it funny people get their knickers in a twist and wringing their hands feeling hard done by because they don't have one particular supermarket within a boundary line only visible on a map? Yes, very.
    Anything else? No, that's my lot on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭rayc

I've also noticed we don't have a Leftorium in Kilkenny. I think we should spend the next 5-10 years of our lives discussing, moaning and generally dwelling on this. I mean, I know I could get a left handed pencil in other stores but it's just not the same.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rayc wrote: »
    I've also noticed we don't have a Leftorium in Kilkenny. I think we should spend the next 5-10 years of our lives discussing, moaning and generally dwelling on this. I mean, I know I could get a left handed pencil in other stores but it's just not the same.....

Pftt
    We could just support one of the candidates in the last election. He wanted an ikea in kilkenny.

Granted people want to have some different pre packed dinners in their freezer. That's allowed for people to want an alternative. But what are the effects of a tescos on the local economy? Any good arguments about how tescos will positive effect the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,262 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Cabaal wrote: »
    Pftt
    We could just support one of the candidates in the last election. He wanted an ikea in kilkenny.

Let's start a campaign for IKEA for Kilkenny :D. I for one would love it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Perhaps this thread will go round and round until it disappears in the usual place. However, Tesco, Ikea in fact any decent store might well liven Kilkenny up. to be honest the High Street looks down and out, there are some small shops who try their hardest to make the place look like it should, truth is why would anyone want to come and shop in Kilkenny, it offers nothing to tourists and locals alike. Yes the castle and St Canices for the tourist, parking which is quite cheap is really dire, both Market yard and Market Cross are design disasters. We moan over the CAS rightly so, little point having councillors if they cannot conserve our city, we might just as well vote for a dictator and save the money. For tourists look at the toilet by the castle yes it is better than the one it replaced, but it represents something a very poor city could afford.
    Where is there shopping on the west side of the city or the North, it is all huddled in one area Loughboy, our city designers really cannot expect accolades when they pass into history. Maybe by then Tesco might have arrived, remember every little helps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 sheinsweets

I try to avoid Tesco, but if it does come here then there may be jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

.....truth is why would anyone want to come and shop in Kilkenny, it offers nothing to tourists and locals alike. Yes the castle and St Canices for the tourist,.....
    Ah, we missed your balanced arguments Foxy!

Perhaps this thread will go round and round until it disappears in the usual place. However, Tesco, Ikea in fact any decent store might well liven Kilkenny up. to be honest the High Street looks down and out, there are some small shops who try their hardest to make the place look like it should, truth is why would anyone want to come and shop in Kilkenny, it offers nothing to tourists and locals alike. Yes the castle and St Canices for the tourist, parking which is quite cheap is really dire, both Market yard and Market Cross are design disasters. We moan over the CAS rightly so, little point having councillors if they cannot conserve our city, we might just as well vote for a dictator and save the money. For tourists look at the toilet by the castle yes it is better than the one it replaced, but it represents something a very poor city could afford.
    Where is there shopping on the west side of the city or the North, it is all huddled in one area Loughboy, our city designers really cannot expect accolades when they pass into history. Maybe by then Tesco might have arrived, remember every little helps.

I'm sorry but you need your eyes tested. It's one of the top regional streets in Ireland, up there with Patrick st in Cork or Shop st in Galway. High st is one of Kilkenny's biggest strengths.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

I'm sorry but you need your eyes tested. It's one of the top regional streets in Ireland, up there with Patrick st in Cork or Shop st in Galway. High st is one of Kilkenny's biggest strengths.

And it looks even better without traffic, a few weeks ago there was a cycling rally and the street was closed to vehicles, I was surprised at how well the footpaths, kerbing and street furniture looked when you can actually see it all properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

I try to avoid Tesco, but if it does come here then there may be jobs.

There would be. But at the expense of existing jobs in Dunnes Stores and Supervalu.

Mankbag wrote: »
    There would be. But at the expense of existing jobs in Dunnes Stores and Supervalu.

And High Street Traders and mcdonagh junction traders, of Irish town traders.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Perhaps this thread will go round and round until it disappears in the usual place. However, Tesco, Ikea in fact any decent store might well liven Kilkenny up. to be honest the High Street looks down and out, there are some small shops who try their hardest to make the place look like it should, truth is why would anyone want to come and shop in Kilkenny, it offers nothing to tourists and locals alike. Yes the castle and St Canices for the tourist, parking which is quite cheap is really dire, both Market yard and Market Cross are design disasters. We moan over the CAS rightly so, little point having councillors if they cannot conserve our city, we might just as well vote for a dictator and save the money. For tourists look at the toilet by the castle yes it is better than the one it replaced, but it represents something a very poor city could afford. Where is there shopping on the west side of the city or the North, it is all huddled in one area Loughboy, our city designers really cannot expect accolades when they pass into history. Maybe by then Tesco might have arrived, remember every little helps.

Balance, normality, reason and harmony have been restored! Good to have u back! Doesnt mean I dont think you're talking defeatist s##te though. ..high st is a nice st by anyone's standards and I really don't see how a tesco could liven up Kilkenny? ?

Why is the High Street one of the top places for tourists, is it that the coaches off load their passengers at the castle, having done that where else do they go,"The design centre"; where else, is there anything else to do but walk the high street, for certain John Street has no charm, though perhaps Rose Inn Street, if it wasn't jammed with traffic. We do not have a street market, like it or not they are always a draw, Antiques, not for Kilkenny, Keiron Street has the potential.
    Moving Sherwoods really did not have any influence on the tourist trade, likewise moving Argos so it is rumoured, should Penneys move and close Market Cross Store it will be just another nail in the coffin of that site, despite all this tourists do love Kilkenny, it is different but very boring, perhaps unkind . Before jumping at my opinion think what would you enjoy doing on holiday? With our uncertain climate we do not have a large store to meander round, but there again we do not have the population to warrant one, then we arrive at another of Kilkenny's problems, parking, it is not the cost but the lack of it and what we have has been badly designed.
    Market Cross is okay to get in but dire to get out if you pick the wrong time.
    Have a nice day it looks like being the summer we hoped for, Foxy

Quite right Rantan, Tesco will do nothing for the city, because it will be out of town if at all, we could not cope with another supermarket in the current area which is Waterford road and loughboy. I personally think it is perhaps that some feel they are being deprived of choice, though Tesco do not offer anymore than Dunnes, only problem there is the lousy sites.
    Not everyone wants to shop at Aldi or Lidl or come to that Supervalu at Market Cross, different with Loughboy though.
    We are strange beings these shops. okay stores sell virtually the same thing it is we want the choice to go where we want, I like M&S and go to Clonmel on a regular basis, on the way out I have Lidl and dunnes with ample parking, by the way Lidl is expanding in Clonmel major work going on, I can also pop into Tesco on the ring road, Clonmel just makes more sense for shopping.
    We still love Kilkenny but not for shopping, Foxy

• Advertisement

Quite right Rantan, Tesco will do nothing for the city, because it will be out of town if at all,

I believe (Heard somewhere but don't have facts to hand) that in hindsight the planning of out of town centres are now considered a bad idea. It was poor planning and is no longer encourage due to the effect that it can have on inner urban areas.

This document probably has the info relating to out of town shopping but not sure. http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,30026,en.pdf

Advertisement