Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tesco for Kilkenny

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭foxcoverteddy

Kikel, in days of old your opinion would hold true, however with the lack of public transport, due of course to the lack of population, the car has reigned supreme.
    Why this theme is still pushed about the inner area, the truth is one cannot shop in a restricted environment, out of town shopping has to be the norm though on line shopping is gathering more and more people, this of course will compact on the inner urban area, customers just will not be there.
    Added to which shoppers are somewhat reluctant to pay to shop for groceries, just look at the difference between Supervalu Loughboy and the old Superquinn shop in Market Cross, one is teeming and the other, well not very well served.
    Now go to Waterford City centre, yes the place is buzzing partly I suspect with the giant Penney's store, they have Shaws, Dunnes to help, I am not suggesting parking is great, though there is ample on the quay at a price.
    There are I think four Tesco stores out of town and really they do not appear to have had a dire effect on the city, as an example we went to Kilbarry Tesco built obviously when Waterford Crystal was booming, in the mall a
    butcher and greengrocer exist with Tesco, we should keep Kilkenny olde worlde for tourists. Foxy

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Now go to Waterford City centre, yes the place is buzzing partly I suspect with the giant Penney's store, they have Shaws, Dunnes to help, I am not suggesting parking is great, though there is ample on the quay at a price.

I think you need to look at waterford again. The place is really suffering. Their are a very large number of units closed because the city centre has suffered from the opening of out of town units. The above document I've only skimmed through but their are referrances to impact statements on current retails areas for any new out of town developments. If this document was around years ago then waterford city centre would be a better place to shop in the city centre.

Kikel have you been to Waterford lately? Yes at one time it was bad, but it would seem things have changed for the good, Despite all the out of town shopping which really does enhance the prospects. Remember we live inj a different age, shopping has changed considerably thank goodness, my mum tells me about the days when one had to line up to get served and then go to another counter for other things, apparently very time consuming and they did not have trolleys it was a shopping basket, the greengrocer would give you a paper bag pray it didn't rain.
    Try Clonmel; Kikel or Dungarvan can't say Thurles it is too difficult to get too.

Kikel have you been to Waterford lately?

Yes, I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

Foxy I think your blinded by your Diss like of kilkenny. The heart of kilkenny the high street is thriving compared to Waterford clonmel and Carlow and yes I've been to them all in the last few weeks. I would love to see a tesco in kilkenny. But not at the loss of the high street as have happened in so many of the towns of the southeast. And as for M&S way over rated for the chap they sell. Johns Street in kilkenny should see a lot more footfall in the autumn when guineys open. So hopefully few more buissennes will open on that street also. And the shopping mall on the high street going to get a major revamp can be only good news for kilkenny and the high street.
    And another boost for the high street will be the new Newbridge Silver shop the only one outside of the showroom in newbridge

• Advertisement

linny wrote: »
    Foxy I think your blinded by your Diss like of kilkenny. The heart of kilkenny the high street is thriving compared to Waterford clonmel and Carlow and yes I've been to them all in the last few weeks. I would love to see a tesco in kilkenny. But not at the loss of the high street as have happened in so many of the towns of the southeast. And as for M&S way over rated for the chap they sell. Johns Street in kilkenny should see a lot more footfall in the autumn when guineys open. So hopefully few more buissennes will open on that street also. And the shopping mall on the high street going to get a major revamp can be only good news for kilkenny and the high street.
    And another boost for the high street will be the new Newbridge Silver shop the only one outside of the showroom in newbridge
    The mall redevelopment is something that got me thinking. Can it not be incorporated into the market cross complex. The proximity seems to be very close and could maybe revive it. It's been suffering for years with many vacant stores.

you have it wrong I love the city, it is different to all the others, I want it to remain an olde worlde tourist trap/location. Someone needs to sort out the traffic problem, it is the gem in the south east.
    However one should not be complacent, goodnight off to see the free shower in the sky Foxy

I sat out in a lounger watching the night sky and saw just two or three shooting stars plus a space station orbiting, in the end the cold won.
    Kilkenny shopping I was under the impression that the arcade was going to be an amusement place unless the original plans have been changed, correct me on this. Argos is I am told going out with Sherwoods at Loughboy and Penneys own the old mart site, there is an attempt to build another cinema out there as well. Boots at MacDonagh how long will High street fair, The fact that Guineys are going up by the station is not necessarily good news for the centre. It is too far to walk from the town car parks, okay on a nice summers day but presume the car park at the back of Guineys will become the norm will the patrons then come back into town?
    Any work on the arcade and the brewery site is going to cause major disruptions to traffic, lets be honest shoppers are the life blood of the town;
    If we move the likes of Penneys out of Market Cross who else is going into Coffee Pot Lane, How long will Supervlu exist in the cross, think 2015/16 will be crunch days for our city, it needs a gentle hand the question is have we got one. The new road could be called Crocketts Folly, bye Foxy

Penneys own the old mart site,

News to me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

kikel wrote: »
    News to me.

Me too

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

I could be wrong but I remember this was on boards sometime ago, if not sorry, there was a discussion as to what would happen, tbh the one in Waterford is a superb store and it is buzzing from the moment it opens its doors, moving would decimate Market Cross. Foxy

I could be wrong but I remember this was on boards sometime ago, if not sorry, there was a discussion as to what would happen, tbh the one in Waterford is a superb store and it is buzzing from the moment it opens its doors, moving would decimate Market Cross. Foxy

It was a rumour alright. Cinema bought it. Thats not saying that they could never locate there or buy part of the site int he future. Who knows.

Really there is very little Tesco could bring to Kilkenny City which is not already in place, Dunnes are as near as one can get: however look at the grocery map; there is very little, nothing to the west of the city, without the ring road the journey into Kilkenny is no joke.
    So a Tesco out of town might be a godsend to those who live in Freshford, Urlingford, yes they have small shops who could well suffer, one has to accept the possibility. The whole western area lacks a large store until one gets to Thurles.
    It is like Tesco for Callan, think there is no where that sells clothes for the fair sex in Callan, there have been several attempts that came to nothing, for men we have O'Briens well established and reliable, for shopping of course Supervalu and Aldi, yes they should be sufficient, unfortunately Supervalu is more akin to a large village grocer, it is not big enough to be called a Supermarket and you have to love Aldi's style, cheap yes, but sadly lacking in the niceties of shopping.
    Tesco in Callan or Dunnes could well make Callan a viable destination for shoppers. Foxy on a Sunday

Good Morning,
    Well yesterday was a super one, M&S, Dunnes and Tesco, all of course in Clonmel, no parking charges, no hassle getting in or out.
    Of course we met other's who find it easier and much more rewarding to shop in Clonmel rather than Kilkenny.
    M&S stands out for clothes and food and a rather nice Latte for a break.
    The Dunnes branch is a joy to shop in, again not only food but household goods as well, the same goes for Tesco however you can buy rather more varied items in Tesco.
    Sorry but it does not make any sense for Tesco or Dunnes to be kept out of making an out of town store, it would at least keep shoppers in Kilkenny.
    I think this is one thing we cannot lose sight of and keep pressing for some action. Well shopped Foxy

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Foxy...Any ideas what you'd do with the market yard site if, hypothethically, dunnes moved out of town?
    Imagine the combined potential of the brewery and market yard sites?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Rantan wrote: »
    Foxy...Any ideas what you'd do with the market yard site if, hypothethically, dunnes moved out of town?
    Imagine the combined potential of the brewery and market yard sites?!!

I'd have it as part of the redevelopment, opening up the waterfront especially there. Underground the car park or stick a multi storey some place on the site.

What an exciting post Rantan, not one that can be answered without a lot of thought, the reasons being: Market Yard Car Park is the life blood of the city, it is the most used plus it is an easy car park to get in and out of. An example the Friary Street park is an abomination was built for financial gain and not to enhance the city, Market Cross a nightmare to get out of at the wrong time, again built for financial gain, Ormonde Street as a car park not that bad and has been incorporated into the development, but having said that what we had before was I know a dirt site, but it was a great car park, there was actually no need for what was built. If you concrete over every site the open spaces never come back.
    Market Yard must never be touched other than normal clean-ups a multi story no way, with the river close by an underground park would be a no no. Like it or lump it as the saying goes people want to park near the shopping centre, they do not want to walk with shopping or come to that push trolleys, what do you do with it when you are finished anyway, push it all the way back.
    Perhaps this will throw some light on why out of town shopping is so popular, brilliant slant on Kilkenny, also age would be a factor. Have a good day Foxy

Advertisement