Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackcurrant Bush

• 19-04-2013 5:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

So last year I got a small blackcurrant bush. I planted it in a very wide, very deep pot which I'd previously grown maple in successfully.

It put forth foliage, it flowered, and it gave fruit which sadly due to lack of sunlight last year were a bit sub-par. The various branches perhaps doubled in length, in some cases.

I was going to move it this year, but with the weather as bad as it has been, it's done... nothing. Not a bud, not a whisper of life in it, as far as I can tell. Is this normal? Everything seems to be a month behind this year, but I'm wondering if it isn't simply dead...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Everything is behind alright.

A simple test for a dead plant is to scrape back a tiny bit of the bark off a thickish stem with your fingernail. If there is green underneath, all is good, plant is alive but dormant. If it's brown all the way through, it's a goner.

Don't scrape off too much, as it can harm the plant, lets infection in etc. Just enough to see a colour underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

A Blackcurrant by now should be showing signs of growth, but I suppose it depends on where you are in the country, certainly here in South West Kerry things are back on track.

Advertisement