Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New City Centre Newsagents

Options
  • 19-04-2013 5:31pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Good to see a new business opening in Waterford City Centre. Get & Go moves into the unit that was held by Freesoul that lasted a few months before departing. Get & Go appears to be some sort of newsagents, which should be useful in the heart of the city.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Sully wrote: »
    Good to see a new business opening in Waterford City Center. Get & Go moves into the unit that was held by Freesoul that lasted a few months before departing. Get & Go appears to be some sort of newsagents, which should be useful in the heart of the city.
    So is this Waterford City Center one of those new shopping malls? A location would have been good. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

jmcc wrote: »
    So is this Waterford City Center one of those new shopping malls? A location would have been good. :)

Regards...jmcc

Nope, its the center of the city. Broad Street to be on the button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭ex_infantry

reminds me of a shop in wicklow i used sell stuff to twas called "grab n go", sadly the shop did'nt last too long so lets hope this one does and creates a few jobs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Centre, just sayin' :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

mike65 wrote: »
    Centre, just sayin' :)

Dirty habit, I know. *slaps myself*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Dicky Pride

I was 100% certain that it would be Mike65 that would point that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

*sorry* American spellings and Americanisms (or do I mean Americanizms ;)) just do my head in.

mike65 wrote: »
    *sorry* American spellings and Americanisms (or do I mean Americanizms ;)) just do my head in.

Sorry, I didn't realize at the time what I was doing. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

The correct word is center.

Center is a location or a position.

Centre is a noun. For example, the Child Care Centre or Waterford Shopping Centre, Lisduggan. As we all know, WS Centre Lisduggan is not in the center of the city.

The Americans use the word center for both defintions.

That's how it was explained to me ages back.

ETS: Just googled it so ignore what I said above.
    There is no difference in meaning between center and centre. Center is the preferred spelling in American English, and centre is preferred in varieties of English from outside the U.S.

Some people do make distinctions between the words. For instance, some prefer to treat center as the word for a place or institution and centre as the word for the middle point of something. But while these preferences may be taught in some schools and are perhaps common among careful English speakers in Canada, the U.K., and elsewhere, they are not broadly borne out in 21st-century usage.

http://grammarist.com/spelling/center-centre/

Advertisement