Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Trainer

Options
  • 19-04-2013 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend a not-to-expensive, city center (or anywhere walkable to the city center) personal trainer?

I'm quite fit, and have gotten myself as far as I think I can go without someone pushing me. Not trying to lose weight, I'm quite toned but just want that little bit extra. Any suggestions? Male or female, doesn't bother me :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

emz8 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a not-to-expensive, city center (or anywhere walkable to the city center) personal trainer?

I'm quite fit, and have gotten myself as far as I think I can go without someone pushing me. Not trying to lose weight, I'm quite toned but just want that little bit extra. Any suggestions? Male or female, doesn't bother me :)

Try a bodybuilding coach they will coach you online and get you in far better shape . But unless your training and nutrition are on point at the moment i would sort that out first . If thats the case john otis hollywood is one of the best and is reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

Thanks for the recommendation.

Its the nutrition thing I think I need most help with. I mean I eat well but its more the motivation and having someone checking my progress etc that I need to really step it up!

Thanks for the recommendation.

Its the nutrition thing I think I need most help with. I mean I eat well but its more the motivation and having someone checking my progress etc that I need to really step it up!

You need to track protein carbs and fat and as a result calories . Find your maintanence calories from any website and this will give you a rough guide . Consume 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per lb of bodyweight 0.3 grams of fat per lb of bodyweight and fill the rest with carbs . See how you get on with the website estimation and adjust up or down in increments of 50 carbs or adjusting your cardio until you start to lose 1 to 2 lbs per week when you plateau adjust again repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

I've done this, I never seem to eat enough protein, even though I feel like I'm eating it non stop! :P

What's holding me back is the treats! I know exactly what my problem is, few glasses of wine, some ben and jerrys, some mars bars...all within my calorie allowance so I'm not putting on weight or anything but its totally holding me back to getting to the next level. As much as I tell myself I won't have them, I always kinda do, because I've worked out and have the extra calories, and deserve it. :P
    That's why I think a PT will help me out, if someone is monitoring my progress and pushing me harder during work outs it might make me cop on and really go for it.

I've done this, I never seem to eat enough protein, even though I feel like I'm eating it non stop! :P

What's holding me back is the treats! I know exactly what my problem is, few glasses of wine, some ben and jerrys, some mars bars...all within my calorie allowance so I'm not putting on weight or anything but its totally holding me back to getting to the next level. As much as I tell myself I won't have them, I always kinda do, because I've worked out and have the extra calories, and deserve it. :P
    That's why I think a PT will help me out, if someone is monitoring my progress and pushing me harder during work outs it might make me cop on and really go for it.

Treats are not holding you back . You can eat mcdonalds everyday and still lose weight once you hit your macronutrients . Its calories in vs calories out . Having said that alcohol will affect your results . But again calories in vs calories out . Sounds like your going to hire a PT to tell you to stop drinking and eating junkfood . Oh and on the protein thing thats why we have protein shakes !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

What's holding me back is the treats! I know exactly what my problem is, few glasses of wine, some ben and jerrys, some mars bars...all within my calorie allowance so I'm not putting on weight or anything but its totally holding me back to getting to the next level. As much as I tell myself I won't have them, I always kinda do

Don't buy the crap when shopping, do not bring temptation into your house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

Hey Emz,

Its very hard to quantify what "the next level" is. If your going to go down the PT route make sure you have specific goals for him/her to work off. No trainer can take you to the next level if they dont have a clue what it is. There are various different levels for different goals, i.e. Muscle definition in fintess body competition/bodybuilding, aerobic fitness i.e. want to run a marathon etc, strength training, sporting achievement and so on. Best off sitting down and thinking out exactly what it is you want to achieve before you spend any cash on a PT! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭TheBellJar

dor843088 wrote: »
    Sounds like your going to hire a PT to tell you to stop drinking and eating junkfood . Oh and on the protein thing thats why we have protein shakes !
    And what's wrong with that? If that's what he needs then that what he needs. Personal training isn't just about having someone write up a program, it's the motivation of knowing someone else is tracking your progress and that you've made a investment. It's called 'personal ' training for a reason; he's the client and if someone encouraging him to eat better is what he needs to progress further then I see absolutely no problem with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

http://theabsgym.com/personal-training-services/

Anyone any idea what these guys are like ?

Advertisement