Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

flyfishing a small wild trout lake

Options
  • 19-04-2013 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

i got permission to fish a small wild brown trout lake i i got 3 there today on a mepps but i wanted to do do a bit of fly fishing there what flies would i use there i will be fishing from the bank thare are some big trout in this lake and i wanted to no what would be good flies to use thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

bibio, duck flies, peter ross, connemara black, black pennell, sooty olive and perhaps the Alexander.
    watch out for hatches and, try and match (as best you can) what you see on the water.
    also as its early in the year, give the shallow areas of the lake a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Flysfisher

i got permission to fish a small wild brown trout lake i i got 3 there today on a mepps but i wanted to do do a bit of fly fishing there what flies would i use there i will be fishing from the bank thare are some big trout in this lake and i wanted to no what would be good flies to use thanks

To catch the bigger trout use dry flies in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

the lake is deep all round u wouldent be able to wade out in chest waders most of the trout are breaking 10 15 feet out from the from the bank and there is trout 5/6 lb in the lake the farmer told me and talking to a person that fished it before and he said the same but same as me he only worm fished it u can get a alot of trout fishing the lake so i am looking forward fishing it with the fly any help with best methods of fishing the lake appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Johnny max

blacknat bibio in daytime
    sedges and mayfly if any about

• Registered Users Posts: 29 evilgannet

If there is a breeze, wet fly a large black pennell, just as light changes to dark.

If it's calm, a dry fly sedge, something like a murrough at the same time.

During the day, if there is a good breeze, find the deepest spot in the lake and fish it with a size 1 Mepps Black fury.

• Advertisement
Advertisement